hmmm - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question hmmm

Does anyone here have a canary? I've heard they are not as friendly as keets and tiels and was just wondering if this is true. Thanks!
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:54 AM

I had two canarys a few years ago. They were not friendly but someone did own them before me and they were not handled. I could never get them to come near me with years of trying. I am unsure if this is the norm though. they sing purtty though
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Don't know much about the breed. You might go to a pet store and read one of the books they have there about them just to give you an idea. Or go to Google.com and look up some breeders.

I would imagine that, like most animals, there is a different temperament (SP) between males and females. I believe it is only the male who sings, which would be natural in a world where the male is the show off and the female has to be impressed.

I've never known anyone who owned a canary so I don't even know who to ask! My suggestion would be to hit the other pet sites (or bird sites such as upatsix.com) and see what those people have to say.

Good luck!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Canarys are very cool little birds but they are generally not as "handle-able" as parrots or some of the softbills.
They do well in pairs and as far as birds go are generally considered low maintainence because they don't require your company. Males "sing" prettier songs than females.

Finches would be in the same catagory as Canary- beautiful, colorful, really facinating to watch them interact with each other - but not birds to keep if you want an interactive bird.

With a lot of patience you can usually get them to perch on your finger without freaking out... but as far as comparing them to parakeets or budgies it's like apples and oranges. Both fruit - but taste totally different

Budgies are very social - great talkers and an all around great "starter" bird.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Miss New Booty

Thanks Deja, parakeets are great talkers! Alot of people have told me "Oh parakeets don't talk..." My Snowy talks a mile a minute!!
They are great starter birdies, Snowy was my first birdie. I agree with Deja. I have heard the canaries are absolutely beautiful singers, however, not very sociable and friendly. I had a friend who really wanted one, b/c they sing and are pretty, but she wanted a bird her and her family could interact with, so they then decided on a cockatiel. I guess it just depends on the type of birdie you are looking for. Good luck and let us know what birdie you decide on!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Princess in Waiting

I just love 'tiels, so I guess you'd have to put me on the list of people who vote for them! Mom's has started talking (about a year old) and Erin's definately talks. But try to remember that a bird doesn't have to talk to be fun!!

I just love my parrotlet. He chatters, but no words have come out. And he has to run to the side of the cage to see me when I'm there. And the Senegal is a wonderful pet. He talks, he chatters, he loves both of us, and he is a big clown - but a small bird!!

Gosh, what a horrible decision to have to make!! If I were buying another bird right now and it had to be small-ish, I do think I would choose a Senegal. But that's just my opinon!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
pet store