how to tell the gender of a quacker... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

how to tell the gender of a quacker...

a 2 years ago i got a pet quacker from a pet store. when i got him they said they didnt know the gender because it is hard to tell with a quacker unless you breed it. i think George(quacker) is a boy pending that he is cocky and thinks he knows it all. he was supposted to have been 6months old when i got him, and he was the last they had. his siblings had been sold months ago. if someone can inform me on how to tell the gender that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Are you talking about a Quaker?

I'm no bird expert by any means, but I think some breed of birds need to be DNA tested to be sure of the gender.

When I had parakeets I know my female had brown over the top part of her beak (where the nostrils are) and my male had blue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Miss New Booty

Yup, Scarlette is right... I have never had a quaker, but the *true* way to know, is to get your birdie DNA tested.
Yup, Scarlette, that's right about the keets'. Although Dena thought her bird was a boy, and 5 years later it layed an egg, so I guess you never know?!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Proud New Mommy

don't female ducks lay eggs?

Wait until she gets old enough to lay eggs... If she never does then she's a he!! lol I don't know how

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rocheal, she's talking about a Quaker parrot.

Emy ... I'm so sorry, the title fairy couldn't resist!

Stephanie

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 04:57 PM

Jade, you're bad!

Like everyone else said, the only sure fire way to know is to have a DNA test.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhh Jade! You are bad!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I think that's a new record for a title, only 4 posts!

Rhonda

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:14 PM

Definitely a DNA test or you can do what I accidentally did. She didn't have enough blue to say she was definitely a boy but obviously not enough peachy color for a girl, who knows maybe she is a hermaphrodite and the eggs will start hatching little chicklettes someday (I don't really believe that is the case though) Anyway I had a toy that had little teeny tiny mirrors on them and teeny tiny was enough to see her reflection fall in love and start laying eggs. This really wouldn't prove anything unless your quaker started laying eggs, it could still be a female. The only way to know for sure is to have it DNA test which involves getting blood. Some places say they can test it with a plucked feather but I would never do that to my bird or my fingers!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Proud New Mommy

She said quaCKer!!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Rocheal; 01-02-2004 at 07:57 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww Jade that was baaaad, lol! hehe Funny, funny....

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

That's ok Rocheal...when I read the first post I thought she was talking about a duck too!! Birds terrify me so I've never got into learning much about them!!! I'll have to overcome my fear when I become a vet nurse I guess!!! But if Bearacuda came in with her spiders I'd be running!!!!lol

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

lol I hear you RSbunny! I would too! In school I get soooo nervous thinking about things like that. We had to work with rats, mice, bunnies, and piggies (guiena pigs, sp) and at first I was scared since I hadn't owned one in a long time but then I wanted to take them all home with me, lol!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks guys. i dont think ill be gettin my george a DNA test. we dont have any vets that work with birds let alown and exotics where i live. ill just keep assuming he is a boy until he falls in love with his reflextion and lays an egg. lol.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

Quote:
Originally posted by RSbunny
That's ok Rocheal...when I read the first post I thought she was talking about a duck too!! Birds terrify me so I've never got into learning much about them!!! I'll have to overcome my fear when I become a vet nurse I guess!!! But if Bearacuda came in with her spiders I'd be running!!!!lol
Oh now you guys are way to funny!!!! RSbunny, you gona tell me that if i invited you to come hang out with me you wouldnt want to check out and learn about my sweet cool critters?? Hey i will let ya play with big Delilah to...

Enter House At Own Risk Tarantulas Loose Everywhere... Critter Freak!!

Tags
lay eggs, pet store