I did it! I did it! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Lee0923

I did it! I did it!

I went to the Humane Society and adopted Sam (we call him Sammy), a 7 year old Lutino cockatiel!

He's a good boy. Needs some work with hand-taming, but has done very well with the couple of sessions we've had so far. He mimicks the ring of the phone and my daughter and I heard him whistle a "human" whistle today.

He was given up by his previous owners because a baby was on the way, and they wouldn't have any more time for him. Poor Sammy.

I haven't gotten pictures yet-I do things the old-fashioned way with film and scanners, lol! I will post some when I get them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 PM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Awwwww...congratulations!!! You are a special person for adopting from the Humane Society. I so wish there were more who did...

Send pics!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:19 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Congratulations. We have 3 Cockatiels. 2 rescues and one we bought from a friend who hand raises them. They are a lot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:44 PM

Allright!! Congrats!

How exciting!! I can't weight for pictures!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Congratulations!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:40 PM

Oh good! I knew you would!! Congratulations!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:55 PM

Congratulations Lisa! I just knew you would get him!

I'm glad you are having fun with him. Is he yellow? I am just learning about birds my self!

Can't wait to see a pictures!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Awww, congrats on the new family member! I second the call for pictures!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 07:01 AM

omg !! I can't believe I spelled wait/weight wrong!!!!!! I'm so embarrassed!!!! How could I do such a thing????? I know better....I swear!

In my defense, I was on the phone when I posted that!:beam:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Proud New Mommy

Awww!!! Congrats! I wish more people would adopt from there too... would be a MUCH better world! I know he'll be a great pet and will love his new home !!!

It's OK JGawana...

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Lee0923

JGawana-lol, it's okay!!! I thought you meant to spell it that way, you know, how people spell things differently in cyberland!

Anyway, Sammy is feeling more and more at home. He's doing this kind of call that, in no way can I explain on here. It's a call that I've heard a wild bird do before. He's started to do the "wolf call" whistle...you know, like when a pretty girl walks by. And he just started some other kind of tune as I'm typing this and bobs his head up and down while he's doing it.

He's turning out to be quite a character!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Way to go! Cockatiels add so much to your house (and I don't even have one - now)

It must have broken their hearts to have to give him up, because they have obviously done a lot of work with him. If there are wild birds in your neighborhood he will definately imitate them. Since he's already such a whistler he probably won't talk - but I love those whistles!! And it sounds like they were teaching him to dance to some song. How cute!

Can/have you talked to the previous owners? If it's possible, you could get a better handle on what his favorite whistles are, what he's whistling to as he dances, favorite snacks, etc.

You're gonna have great fun with Sammy. And I definately understand the film and scan method, since I still have a roll of film in my camera from Zoe's dance recital (in May) residing safely in my camera!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Lee0923

Boy, this bird amazes me everyday with the sounds he's coming up with! He definitely LOVES attention-like any bird, I suppose!

Unfortunately, the Humane Society here doesn't allow you to contact previous or current owners. They use to, years ago, have it optional to the surrendering owners if they wanted to leave contact info for the new owners, but that is no longer an option.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Princess in Waiting

That's too bad - especially in the case of an exotic where it would be of a lot of help to you in making the pet "yours".

Sounds like you are doing a great job and that he's getting all the love he had elsewhere from you. I don't go to Humane Societies because they make me cry. But if I knew of a bird at one I'd be right there! (The one in KY used to have a drop-off window for after hours when no one was there but somebody wanted to drop an animal. UGH!)

I'm really, really happy for you and your little buddy. You guys are gonna grow to be an even greater team!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Proud New Mommy

OMG Critter... that's sickening! (Humane Society)

Yep! They should have something where you can contact the previous owner... Too bad they don't. Either way, both of you are going to bond really good, because he knows what it's like to not have a home. And now he has all the home and all the love he wants!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
humane society