I found little presents today! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Red face I found little presents today!

I have had my little BOY budgie for over 5 years now. Has bluish coloring around HIS nostrils (you all see where this is going don't you?) apparently there is not enough blue to make HIM a HIM because I checked HIM this morning and HE laid eggs! Imagine my suprise! Five years and nothing I am wondering if she (that was a he) fell in love with the new cat or something. Well at least the name Pinot still fits for a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 12:45 PM

Awwww, we have budgie eggs here too. (but we have a mated pair) she is currently sitting on 7 eggs.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 01:09 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

LOL I have a male rescue cockatiel who was about 2 years old when we got him and then he has been here for over a year. Well last week he started laying eggs!!! I wondered what suddenly got him in the mood! LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh wow Dena, what a suprise it must've been! I know about egg laying, lol, but I was pretty sure my budgie was a female. She is a chronic egg layer! She just turned 3. Right before she turned one, she started laying eggs. It was this cycle, lay eggs all week, could be up to 7 in the week, sit on them, come up to eat and go potty go back down for a couple weeks, up about a week, then back again to the "tick tick tick" sound they make before they lay an egg. I took her to the vet, and he said that she was a chronic egg layer and since they are such small birds, a shot (? i think) to control hormones (?) would most likely be risky and out of the question since they are so small. He just told me to provide lots of calcium and watch and make sure there is no egg binding.Well, I felt so bad she was like this, so last Jan, we got her a friend, another parakeet, an Albino named Casper. She stopped laying eggs for awhile!! I think he is a boy, but after your story about your "BOY" who knows right, She just recently started laying a few now and then but nothing like before. She would sit on them some before, but now she mostly pokes hole in it and throws it around and cracks them, good momma huh! LOL, Casper is a quiet little bird, and they say males are louder and more talkative hmmm.. Snowy talks a mile a minute like you wouldn't believe, so I guess we can't go by the norm,

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg Dena !!!

You must have been really shocked!

What stimulates egg laying behavior especially in a bird that is kept alone? Anyone know?

[center]

[
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Miss New Booty

I wish I knew! Snowy was alone from when we got her in July 00'- Feb. 02'. She was so much better with the egg laying after we got her a friend, and my vet said it may make it worse or more consistent, it was the opposite. She has recently started laying some again lately, but nothing like it was, let's hope it stays that way. I felt so bad for her all the time.

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:45 PM

LOL
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea what stimulated her behavior. I have had her for 5 almost 6 years and was pretty conviced she was a he. The only thing really new in her life is the new kitty (Veruka). Her toys are always changing but its been like that for 5 years. What prompted it now???? She's not such a great mother either. Looks like she poked into on or two of the eggs and just kind of left them on the bottom. Sadly enough thats probably one of the more exciting things to happen to me lately!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Miss New Booty

Yup that is what Snowy does too, poke holes in them and throw them around. Hmmm it sounds odd that your budgie waited 5 years to lay an egg?! I wonder what prompted it, too?

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:27 AM

Well I learned something today. I had no idea females would lay eggs without a mate.

Maybe she was trying to tell you she wanted something new to play with!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 11:24 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Are parakeets like cockatiels in that they can tell the sex of humans? My other cockatiels also a male turned female (wouldn't ya know) would make the mating call to my husband. She had been very much my bird but once she hit maturity would sit with him all the time sticking her butt in the air and making that mating sound.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 12:01 PM

What a surprise Dena! lol
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by masterjack
Well I learned something today. I had no idea females would lay eggs without a mate.

Maybe she was trying to tell you she wanted something new to play with!
Well then I don't feel soo bad for not knowing this either!! LOL!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

It isn't really a matter of the sex of anything to get a female to lay eggs. Birds will just suddenly bond with someone something and will lay eggs for them just because they love him/her/it so much. Many times I have seen two female lovebirds caged together and they lay eggs for each other. Many birds with mirrors in their cages will lay eggs for their reflections. They don't realize its a reflection, they think it is another beautiful birdie, birds are quite egotistical now that I think about it. I figuered after 5 years that I was pretty safe in thinking she was a he though. Now I am waiting for my senegal to start dropping them. i figure he is very bonded to me and no eggs in 6 years means I am pretty sure he is a boy. Honestly it doesn't really matter I love them no matter what!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

Congratulations!!

The breeder was sure Pip was a male when I got her, then when she saw her later she was surprised that there isn't any blue on her so she's sure the bird is a girl. Unless it's an Eclectus (or any other dimorphically (?) sexed)bird you gotta get 'em tested!

Pip is my buddy - will ring her bell when requested for me and always runs to the side of the cage to see me. Moji (my senegal) is really social and likes both Bubba & me. Both birds are less than a year old tho, so who knows.

Since we are talking about parrotlets, I'll ask another question here. Pip molts CONSTANTLY. She looks good, full feathered and no bare spots, but my floor is covered. You get a hardwood floor and a ceiling fan nearby and there's one big mess!

Good luck with your eggs, Dena. I hope it doesn't become a constant habit.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
beautiful bird, lay eggs