I found someones "set free" pet... How do I catch it? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I found someones "set free" pet... How do I catch it?

So theres this little bright blue finch at our feeeder, and we had never seen it before. My mom looked it up, and it turns out they live in South America. We email some one whos savvy on MN birds, and they said that some one probably "set free" their pet. It made friends with all the other finches and stuff, and I would just let it be, but a bird from south america could NEVER survive a MN winter!

I really want the little birdie to be safe, but I have no idea ho wto catch a finch! Ive cought a ring neck parakeet I found flying around, but those are bigger, and he was cought in a tree.
This little bird is practically wild, and I could never catch him with my hands! So I need to set some kind of trap for him... and ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm...I'm not sure, but once my dad caught a sparrow in a live trap that he put out for rats. Maybe you could get a live trap with small enough bar spacing and put bird food in it? You'd have to check it a lot though, you'd probably catch some wild birds and would have to let them free asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

put out a cage with the doors open, it mght recognize safety and go in. I know it sounds simple but that's what i was told t do bfore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah ive heard to put out a bird cage with doors open.
A little off topic---When I released my chickadees I kept their cage out for a few days so they had somewhere secure to go to when needed.

The bird might remember the cage and go right in... who knows though. maybe it had a bad life in the cage.

good luck! the birdie needs to stay warm!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks guys!
Im getting a little worried about the birdie tho, cuz I havent seen him for 3 days! I hope hes OK...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he may go with the other finches when they migrate in the winters... there are several parrots that are in new york from people setting them free and they have survived my migrating with other wild birds

*shrug* Good luck catching him, thats the best for it, but i wouldn't say it is 100% dead if someone doesn't catch it.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 AM

Hi, Jess! Set out some THISTLE SOCKS for finches and I bet he will return in a couple of days. Finches love thistle. You have awhile for him to start to trust you and when he feels more comfortable around you, try to catch him with a fish net with a long pole? But be careful, you don't want to injure him. He may be just fine outside with the others as long as you keep feeding the thistle. Best wishes. Can you get a picture of him?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

We have a feeder with thistle seed in it, thats what attracted him on the first place!
And we have 2 pics of him, but they are really blurry... http://www.fieldguides.com/_birdpix/...FinchBW_sm.jpg This is what he looks like tho. ^^ Isnt it cuuuuuuuuute??

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Exactly what kind of bird is it? I'm curious what species it is. There are occasional escapes from captivity, but there are also blue natives like Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks.

If you could tell me what species, it might help us determine the best way to catch it.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Exactly what kind of bird is it? I'm curious what species it is. There are occasional escapes from captivity, but there are also blue natives like Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks.

If you could tell me what species, it might help us determine the best way to catch it.

Bob
She has posted a pic of a yellow-billed blue finch; which are found in Bolivia and Brazil.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i saw an indigo bunting once, here in ontario, wow are they vibrant!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
She has posted a pic of a yellow-billed blue finch; which are found in Bolivia and Brazil.
Doh! ...Apparently I can't read as I get older...

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Doh! ...Apparently I can't read as I get older...

Bob
Lol, no biggie!

Tags
bird cage