I miss my birds! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I miss my birds!

I cant wait until I can get birds again. When I was still living with my parents (before I got married) we had:

1 moluccan cockatoo~ Peaches (she came to us named)
1 umbrella cockatoo~ Elvis (also came named)
1 Scarlet Macaw~ Salsa (we got her as an egg )
3 black masked lovebirds ~ Pocahauntas, Cheech, and Chong
3 Peachfaced lovebirds~ Cherry and the other twos names were changed often because they were my little sisters
2 parakeets (mine) Simba (green)and Nala(blue)
2 Lutino lovebirds ~ Sunny and I cant remember the other ones name
and 1 mixed lovebird~ Rascle

We had all of them at once in 3 bedroom marine corps base housing (tiny) and my little sister developed horrible allergies to the dust mites that live in birds feathers. And with that many birds... there are a lot of feathers (especially in a tiny house) so we had to find homes for the large ones and she was able to deal with the small ones. It was a very difficult time.

I want to get a hyacinth macaw. My husband has promised me one when we have our own house and more room My hubby is in the navy so getting one right now would just not be smart because we'd be moving every 3 years and a big move would be stressful on the bird plus then we'd have to find a place that would allow us to have the bird KWIM? So I have to wait. Some day tho......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

When I was younger I always had at least two budgies! Now, I own a ringneck dove and he is just the coolest bird ever. He will let me hold him on my finger and I love the coooing sound he makes in the morning to say "Uncover me mamma" and at night to say "Bedtime!" His name is Coo, how original of me, lol!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

My keets were hand trained. Nala only because Simba was. Simba and I had (and still have) a strong bond. He would bite everyone but me. If I handed him to someone, he'd be fine with them, but if someone else tried to hold him, he'd bit 'em right away. He NEVER ONCE bit me. Although he did get his toe stuck in my braces LOL He used to dance if I'd sing and he would do some funny tricks if I was sad. He loved to make me laugh! I sure miss him. He sadly passed a few years ago. (((Cries)))

Our moluccan Peaches made up a nick name for me. She used to say my name if I left the room, she'd just scream AAAAAMMMMBBBBEEEERRRR! Then one day she came out with "Ambird" LOL I guess she knew I am a bird brain huh? She also used to sing
"Ooooh Peachy bird Oooooh peachy bird" (in tune with O' Christmas tree) LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, they sound like such personalities! hehe

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhhhhhhh you had alot of birdies!!!! You had an umbrella!!! Elvis, what a cute name! I have an umbrella cockatoo named Angel!!! I have 2 parakeets named Snowy and Casper, and 2 cockatiels named Sunny and Gizzy! Ohhhh you had a moluccan!!! They are beautiful!! I have heard they are louder than umbrellas? In your experiences, what do you think? We are patiently waiting for Angel to talk, he is chattering, and mimicking the patterns in our voices! He just turned 1. Snowy, my female keet' talks a mile a minute, it's amazing!!! Do you have any pictures of your birdies? :bfly:

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

My little parakeet Yoshi hasnt said one word yet, chatters like crazy but thats about it, loves to be out with us all the time and acts like a bat when put back into his cage, he hangs upside down.. to funny sometimes..:bfly:

Enter House At Own Risk Tarantulas Loose Everywhere... Critter Freak!!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Umbrellas are not big talkers. Every once in a while you will get one that will say one maybe two words, but they just dont like to talk. Our elvis sounded like he was trying to say "Hi" sometimes, but it was this strange hi pitched sound so we weren't sure. Otherwise he didn't talk. As far as moluccans being louder, well elvis could hold his own but peaches was ALWAYS talking LOL. So maybe she was louder just because she was ALWAYS making noise. KWIM? Dont be upset if your umbrella never really talks. Its just the species.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

oh as far as pics... I'm going to have to drag some out of the box lol. I will get them up when I find them
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 07:49 AM

Amber
I am sorry you miss your birds. I could not image my house without a bird here much less the fuzzy critters that have taken over.

Hyacinth macaw's are so pretty and comical OMG I love them. When my daughter is grown up and on her own I would love to add one to my flock.
At the petstore we visit they have one the poor thing has been there forever due to the big price tag on him. My daughter who is 6 loves this bird they play together everytime. She asked why we were not getting the bird since I felt so bad for him and I explained that 18,000 was a bit much. The next week we went to the bank and my daughter asked the bank teller for a loan LMAO. My daughter is a trip
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thats soo funny about your daughter. Yeah hyacinths are pretty expensive. If you are going to get one tho, I have a breeder I can recommend. We bought our scarlet and moluccan from her. Shes really good. Heres her website. Her name is Pat Laws. I actually used to 'baby bird sit' for her during bird club meetings while we lived in Hawaii

Pua Parrots
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 02:35 PM

Holy cow she has got some gorgeous birds
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I know! IF you could only see her back yard in person! Its absolutely amazing and DEFINITELY what got me as into birds as I am Pat and Butch are great! They are wonderful to all their animals and I really suggest them if you want to buy a baby. They definitely get some beautiful babies
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:45 PM

wow the scarlet macaw is gorgeous too! Well heck, i like all the macaws! I've always had a warm place in my heart for the seen-so-often blue and gold however I didn't know there was this many! That Hy macaw is breath taking!

Are there more variations of the macaw then the blue and gold, military, hycinith, scarlet and green winged?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 08:00 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of different types of macaws. The ones you listed are the most well known.
Greenwing
Scarlet
Blue & Gold
Military
Hyacinth
Lears
Buffons
Spix
Illigers
BlueThroats
Blue Fronted
Red Fronted

And then there are different Hybrid types. The most popular are Harlequins & Catalinas.

There are also mini-macaws
Hahns
Severe
Yellow Collared

That's about all I can think of but I'm sure there are more. Some of the large macaws are on the Endangered Species List and there are even a few different ones that are extinct.

They sure are beautiful, aren't they? I have a link somewhere that shows all the different kinds...I'll look around for it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I sure cant think of any others LOL I think you got just about all of them Jodi
Hyacinths are my favorites!

Tags
endangered species