I need HELP!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I need HELP!!!

I have bought a cockatiel and the last one I had dies after like two weeks. And I don't know why. Now the one I have now is acting the same way and I dont know what to do. It is a baby and I don't think it is eating unless we feed it. And I have no clue if it is even drinking. Please someone help me I don't want this one to go.

Thank you Jena Rhea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Maybe you can hand feed soft foods for awhile. Probably should see vet.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:27 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Do you use teflon coated pots and pans ? Or have a space heater or anything else that has a non-stick/teflon coating ?? The fumes can kill a bird instantly. Jodi should have some good links to articles about the dangers of Teflon and pet birdies.

As far as eating and hand-feeding - Jodi should be along shortly and can help you out with that too... Wish I could be of some help, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little one !

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

OMG, poor little baby. Do you have handfeeding formula? You can get it at a petstore, and once you mix it you can offer it to him in a spoon, or some petstores have syringes to to so with. If you syringe feed, you gently hold the birds head with your left hand, put the syringe tip into the left side of their mouth, and SLOWLY, depress the plunger. Aim towards the right side of the throat, again SLOWLY. Aspiration is something you do NOT want to happen. Also, make sure it's the right temperature, do not want to burn their crop. You can also try unsweetened applesauce, and even mix it with a mashed sweet potato, they usually prefer warm mashes.

A trip to an Avian certified vet is in order too.

Sharon made an excellent point about the teflon, that will kill your bird if overheated. Here is a link to check out.
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=tef...om/warning.htm

and another one just in case:
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=tef...m/teflon.shtml

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:33 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Did you get this bird from the same person as the last one? Maybe you need to talk to them. What food were they feeding? Is it the same as what you are feeding? How old is the bird? Was it handfed?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:49 PM

Get to a vet ASAP. Sharon asked some good questions. Also, burning scented candles, using Febreeze, etc. - all those things can be deadly to a bird. There could be a 100 different reasons why your bird is sick. Did you have a necroscopy done on the bird that died? You may have something in your house that is hurting your birds. There are alot of household items bird owners can't use.

But since your second bird is already showing signs of being sick you really need to get to the vet ASAP. Birds cannot go long without water. Especially when they are sick. Please, take him/her to the vet.

I wouldn't attempt handfeeding if you don't have any experience, you can seriously injure the bird easily. If you've been hand feeding the bird, do exactly what Dani said but you still have to get to a vet.

Last edited by JGawana; 03-09-2004 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! Do I just go to a reagular vet? All he is doing is tucking his head under his wing and staying in the corner of his cage. And also I don't think he is eating our of the bowl. Only when we feed his do I think he eats.

Jena
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Avian certified, definitely.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 AM

Yes, what Dani said, an Avian vet. You can call your local vet and they will be able to refer you to an avian vet. It's very important that you get your 'tiel to a vet.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

The pet store I got to is very good and I took it up there today and they are keeping it. I love my bird but I want the best for it. And when I first got it I did everything they told me to do. When I got there they said it hasn't ate at all alomost. And they gave it baby food and he was so happy. I don't know if it will live though he could barely hold up his head. I was crying in the pet stors.I will know tomorrow if he will live. Thank you for everything!!!!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jena, good luck with your "tiel. How heartbreaking to go through something like that.

I honestly don't mean to fuel the fire in any way, I know you are in pain and suffering right along with your baby... and I am not implying in any way shape or form that you are at fault in any way - I feel so badly that no matter how good they are, they basically allowed this to happen to him.
but - how and why did the store let him go knowing he wasn't eating? Did they instruct you in any way on hand feeding baby birds?
How old is he?

I hope he's going to be OK and that they are able to set him back on the right track to thriving. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm so, so sorry you are going through this.

I'm also sorry if anything I said upset you in any way - that was not my intention, I promise you. It just makes me angry that anyone would put you through this misery.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for everything and all the support. I have gotten two birds from them and the first bird(Honey) they did not give me and instruction I was just going at it. And she did the same thing that this one is doing. But when I got him he was still a baby they couldn't even tell if he was ready to go or not which makes me mad now. And when i got him home he wasn't eating. But I took him back up there yesterday and they gave him baby food and he was starving for it. He was climbing on the bowl wanting it so bad. And I called back up there today and she said that he wasn't eating again and he looked like he was just giving up. I am so upset about it all. I feel like I am not fit to have animals now. But hopefully he will be ok I will keep everyone posted on him!!

Thank you Jena Rhea
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't have any words of wisdom for you as I don't have birds.....but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

Rhonda

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't understand why this is all happening to me. I have lost two birds and then my fishes died. I just want to have a animal around for longer than a week. I jsut hope they can bring him abck and he can come home. My mom comes home today and I don't want to tell her that he is sick because then she will be very sad.

Jena Rhea
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jena - please, please don't think that this has anything to do with you, what you did or how you handled the situation! You sound like an incredibly caring person and you didn't deserve this to happen to you, twice.
If the pet store couldn't even tell if the bird was weaned, needed to be hand fed, or what his overal status was before they let him go - it is their fault, not yours. Please don't blame yourself.
The tragic, sad part is that you are attached to that little guy and you've invested your emotions - I don't want to sound harsh by saying this - but I believe that the pet store has taken total advantage of you and your willingness to trust them.

Please know that I am here for you - if you need to rant, vent - whatever...
Again, I am so, so sorry that you have to go through this!
Please keep us posted....
It just all sounds so unfair.

[center]

[

Tags
avian vet, baby birds, pet owner, pet store, reputable breeder