I need taming tips for a untamed adult peach-faced lovebird! Can anyone help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy I need taming tips for a untamed adult peach-faced lovebird! Can anyone help?

She is happy (I can tell by looking at her) and will go back into her cage when we tell her to, but she will never go onto our hands! Can anyone give me any advice? Please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 10:00 AM

How long have you had her? Have you had her since she was a baby? Was she ever tamed? Will she step up to a perch or dowel on command?

Sorry for the questions, but it will help us answer your question better!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 11:38 PM

first she is a female and females has thier own mind either you except her for who she is or you could try bribing her but i doubt that works witha peach face i have two and the female i can never handle but she was hand feed , she might also be in breeding season at this point and will not allow any one to hold her i know mine are laying right now good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Answers

No, I haven't had her since she was a baby, I had her since December 15. She was never tamed and the only thing she will do on command is go back into her cage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 12:16 PM

Try monitoring how much food she eats each day for a few days.

Measure how much you put in the bowl..and then measure how much is left when the day is done to see what she is consuming each day. Once you are confident about how much she is eating you may want to try only giving her half of her intake and using the other half to feed her by hand at an appropriate time.

Do NOT starve the bird!!!!!!!! Just be there with her food when she wants it. If she has plenty in the cage then there is no reason for her to be too concerned with what your hands may have for her so it sometimes helps to have a good idea of what she needs and then be there to give it to her

Take it slow and easy....but be consistent. Plan a good time each day that you can be there for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the "feeding practice". Don't push things to fast and within a week to a month you should have her "eating out of your hand"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Thank you very much! I will try that!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 PM

I've been reading through these post, and they lack some fundamental principals you should have in your head when taming a bird. I'm currently taming 2 cockateils, a pair of biological brothers that lost their last home for pulling out the female's tail feathers.

For three plus years they lived in a cage and were not handled.

So far, I'm gaining ground, and yes, it's a slow process, it's been a little over a year now.

The first thing I did was whip out a piece of paper, and write down some specific goals I wanted to meet. The main one, which is obvious that you need and want is to:

Get this bird used to human hands. Teach this bird these hands don't harm, but cuddle, love, and yes restrain when necessary.

Since these are bonded brothers I must take them in individual sessions no longer than 20 or thirty minutes.

My birds are now ready to be turned loose i the bird room, but do to reasons for cleanliness I can't allow it until I have flight suits for them. These two are aggressive and will fight with each other.

However, I have gotten them to a point after they are touched initially they don't even try to bite, and yes, they will stay on my shoulder for ten to fifteen minutes unless they get spooked.
Your goals should be short, understandable, with some ideas on how to reach the goal of taming them.

I see 2 goals, possibly three you should shoot for.
1. Gain the birds trust.
2. Convince her that the world is fantastic to be in it and not in her cage all day.
3. Get her used to human hands.

Good luck. This is not an easy task.
Linda.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,
Of all the birds I have, Lovebirds seem to be the toughest ones to hand train.

Let me first say that I ake a lot of flack from some folks for not "stick training" my birds. So this may not be the way others would reccommend training a bird but it works very well for me.

Another thing I do that is "odd" to some is that I hand train a bird inside his or her cage. I don't find that this stresses any of my "woodgies" when I do it this way.

Let me also say that each individual bird will take his or her own time to be ready to do step ups. I,ve had several cases where I had cockatiels that were cage bound for many years learn to step up in 20 minutes or less. I have also had a case where a Lovebird took 5 years! Yes, YEARS :-)

What I like to do to start is simple. I put the birds food and water in the cage very slowly. I will then let my hand stay inside the cage for a minute or so. Over the course of a week or two, I increase the time period to around five minutes. I talk to the bird for the entire time.
This may sound nutty, but it builds up trust in the bird and teaches he or she that my hand is not a threat.
After whatever time it takes for the bird to be comfortable, I start to work my hand closer to the bird. I do that gradually as well. I let the bird choose how long it will take. When I get to a point where my hand is trusted and I can get close enough to the bird, I place my finger as close to the bird as the bird will let me get. I try to place my finger in aposition so that it is convenient for the bird to get onto my finger.
I'll then and only then start to teach the up command. For me, the command is "Up On Daddy" . I'll keep doing this until by choice or by chance, the bird steps up. Then I praise the bird a lot for making that move onto my finger. I also take the opportunity to train the bird to another command..."On your perch". The sequence goes like this...1)Finger in apropriate step up position..2) I say."Up On Daddy" , 3)bird gets onto finger,(it will eventually) 4)Bird gets Praised profusely, no matter how long the bird remains on my finger. 5)when the bird hops onto the perch, I say "On Your Perch".

It turns into a game that my guys love. I have one keet for example that if she is on one end of her perch, she wants a scrootch. If she is on the other end, she wants to practice her step ups. I let her choose as long as we get some step up practice in :-)

You have to spend 15 to 20 minutes each day and then you can whittle it down as the bird progresses.

I hope this helps,
Bill
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 AM

Thankyou

This helps very much. Thankyou Bill.

We're still setteling in from our move in September, so it's taken quite a bit of time getting our pet birds room sqared up.

I'll use these techniqes as soon as I have a change to go through your post again, and work with my lovable cockateils, Dusty and Greyson.

Linda
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,
If you run into any problems, let me know. One thing i didnt mention and probably should have is that for the safety of the bird, when hand training, it is probably better to have the wings clipped so the bird won't get too far afield if she gets away.
Have Fun,
Bill
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 PM

wing clipping

Thanks for the tip. I doubt seriously I'll clip wings I've never enjoyed making my birds become so helpless that they can't get away from preditors if necessary, and Greyson and Dusty won't get to far because they have their separate room, and when I have their cage doors opened that door remains shut.

I clipped their wings when I first got them, they did need it, but I really didn't understand what I was doing to well.

But since we had Lexi- I enjoy my birds being flighted.

I have two female Nanday Conures, & 2 Male Cockateils.

The cockateils lost their last home because they were fighting over, and pulling out the tail feathers of their human's female hand tamed cockateil.

When she had them, Dusty and Greyson were simply either numbers 1,2 or 3.

By the end of the first day that they were with us, my hubby named both of them, Dusty & Greyson...............

Tags
breeding season