I want a pet chicken! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

I want a pet chicken!

I think i'm going mad, but my dad has always said he likes the idea of a pet chicken and just now it popped up in my mind and i've spent a while searching it all up on the computer and finding out that actually i'm not so mad LOL

I only want the chicken as a pet, but the eggs will be handy!
I'm not sure if I will get one or not, but I may have a chance to get one tomorrow at the east of england show, but I don't want to just pounce on the idea just because the oppitunity walks by if you know what I mean.

They seem like the purfect pet and I have the time and the space, I especially want to raise a chick! It really has me excited and I don't know why, I feel like a bit of a weirdo LOL

So anywho, I was wondering if anyone on here has or has had pet chickens and can give me some advice...

like;
1. what chickens are the best breed to be kept as pets?
2. what should I do about the next door neighbours 5 cats?
3. How often can they be kept in the house?
4. As experianced owners could you tell me what it's like keeping a chicken, ups and downs of keeping them, are they loving, good companions ect... ect...

And anything else you can tell me, general knowledge and stuff like that... thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've always loved chickens, never had any and really have no experience but my uncle had loads. I'm not sure but I always thought they should be kept in small groups. Maybe two at least? (Just an opinion but as I said before I have no real experience with chickens whatsoever)

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I would love a pet chicken and i have badgered and badgered my husband but he just wont let me lol. Good luck with your chickies whichever you get! x

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had pet chickens in a coupe/coop (sp?) while I growing up at home.
I dont know the name or type they were but they were cute. They were big and white, some had fluffy feathered feet. I liked the hens but the rooster who was brown and reddish in color and MEAN I didnt like so much! He would chase us kids alot! Hehe!! He was really handsome though...tall, long tail feathers and shiny.
I loved feeding them and gathering eggs.
awww, childhood memories.

about the neighbors 5 cats...hmm... well not much you can really do except make sure the coop is secure especially around the bottom where they could slip in. Check it often to make sure cats or other animals are not trying any funny business.
Make sure the latches on the door is secure too.

We did let them run around in the back yard everyday under our supervision.
We never really kept them inside the house...just maybe carrying them in while petting a hen but then we put her back outside.

Looking forward to pics of any chickens you get.

Lve Never Fails

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah you are looney but it is a good looney. I have no idea how that would work but the 2 at least and the coop seem like good ideas. If you are going to an animal show even if you don't get one the people might be able to tell you a lot more.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I WANT A DUCK hehe. so i'm crazy with you. anyway... they make duck diapers so maybe they make chicken ones too, at first they should be kept inside because they are little and need heat and things, make sure you get them as little as possible as they only like those who raise them i think at least if you get more than one

My mom had a pet chicken his name was Dingy.. i know a lot of places around here you can get eggs and hatch them.

Eggs: they don't lay every day

I think they can be really good pets

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I ate to much at the east of england show and was ill on saturday so I didn't get much of a change to go on the laptop
Thanks for all your replies, yeah, I was probably going to get at least two. I'm sold on the idea, but didn't get any at the east of england show. I wanted to get an egg which you could hatch yourself as they only cost 1.50! But I thought it would be better to prepare first. I'm not sure if or when we'll get them, but it certainly is an idea! We want to change part of our garden into a sucure little area we can keep them, but at the moment it is just a plan, thanks again!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Silkies are a great breed for pets. they have long fluffy feathers, are smaller, and are pretty friendly.
if you raise them from chicks, you will need a brooder. I took a big rubbermaid tub with pine shavings in the bottome, and a heat lamp on top, when my girls were little. If you just want hens, you can buy pullets, which are chicks that have been sexed female. If you hatch from eggs, you will need an incubator, and you can get boys and girls.
I know where I live, we have ordinances that say we can only keep hens, no roosters. It might be good to look into your zoning ordinances.
good luck if you decide to get chicks. Eggs hatch in 21 days, and chicks stay in the brooder for 5 weeks or so, depending on your outdoor temps. so even if you don't have things quite set up, you still have plenty of time to get that done.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks for your help 'halfwaynowhere' your info has helped me alot, sound like you know quite a bit! hmm.. yeah, I was only thinking hens.. Thanks you again, I will look up silkies on the net

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My brother in laws family had chickens for years. They had one special chicken who would walk in the house and hang out for a while. My brother in law said she was a fantastic pet.
Never ever pick them up by their feet though. One of his stupid friends did that to her and she was rather old - it didn't turn out well at all. Stupid idiot!
But my brother in law still speaks fondly of that chicken and it has to be 15 or more years now!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Playful Pup

Chickens are great pets
1. what chickens are the best breed to be kept as pets? not to sure i think Rhode Island Reds
Build a run with enough height for them to flap about
i wouldnt recomend keeping thme in a house they often poo alot
4. As experianced owners could you tell me what it's like keeping a chicken, ups and downs of keeping them, are they loving, good companions ect... ect...
they can be friendly but they need to be handled at a young age but they can get in moods where they can peck a bit.
And anything else you can tell me, general knowledge and stuff like that... thanks!!
general knowledge they like corn i got my first batch of egg when i was four so we hatched them and got my favourite buffy the orange hen i am know 13 and just bough another batch of eggs today 21 days and counting to go.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post

like;
1. what chickens are the best breed to be kept as pets?

1. eh well I have 5 different kinds at my house and the sweetest one we have is an americauno ,they dont get real big and they're very sweet.

2. Keep the chickens pinned...when they're younger but once they get over 2-3 pounds they can probably defend themselves against the cats... Mine do... haha those cats get more wounds than my chickens

3. Only keep the baby chicks in the house, and do not let them have free roam, you'll never get them back haha bad experience there. When my chickens were about 8 pounds smaller we kept them in my tiled shower with all of there stuff in there and with one corner a heat lamp to keep them warm. But you have to let them have outside time to at a young age, keep them in a pen and let them outside in the day time, that way they dont have a hard time transfrerring from living in a house to being outside in a coop.

4. Chickens are great pets!!! especially when they're chicks if they trust you, you can run nd they'll chase you like you're they're momma...its halarious. as long as you have the space for them make sure they're coop and yard is attiquite and they'll love you forever. haha my chickens are extremely entertaining i only have 5, they're my pets and they are layers they lay eggs (thats why my parents allow me to keep them haha) they eat our table scraps like the dogs, and they love pasta its fun to watch them chase eachother... They also are good snake/pest/rodent control ... We use to get snakes all the time around here and since we got chickens we've seen 3 snakes get eaten by the chickens, they've killed the field mice and the annoying bees around our house... We love our chickens they've become part of the family they live up to 20 years so, you have a long commitment to them

but always make sure to buy atleast 2, chickens are social, and don't like to be alone...so make sure to buy it a friend i started out with one solo easter chick and now i have 5 3 were bought and 2 were rescues from my neighbor..and they all have they're own personallities.

I hope that helps, and i hope that you decide to get chickens they make wonderful companions

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I am allergic to maths

I know its an old thread but have you decided on getting a chick/chicken yet?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Ohh, no we didn't in the end. But the information did help! And we might get some in the future
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I recently got 8 females and a rooster (no not breeding, he was just so gorgeous) they all have huge pens, we have 2 per pen, but as soon as they get more familiar with the land we will build them a very large pen...the eggs are great, they have brown eggs and they help out alot...My brother moved onto 5 acres so he said we could keep them there, the pens are giant and they are all so happy, funny thing is one of the many wild chickens out there flew into one of the coops and doesn't want to leave, she likes being with the other girls lol...

When we went to get the chickens they had them shoved in tiny cages, it was so sad, and then in this single cage was this amazing rooster, his colors are so bright and vivid...I fell in love, I kept telling Ken I wanted him, so he asked the guy how much and he said 10 bucks so I took him home lol...David is loving having them out there, he palys with them every day, and one chicken and him have bonded big time I will post the pics later lol...I love my chickens

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley