Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz
1. what chickens are the best breed to be kept as pets?
2. what should I do about the next door neighbours 5 cats?
3. How often can they be kept in the house?
4. As experianced owners could you tell me what it's like keeping a chicken, ups and downs of keeping them, are they loving, good companions ect... ect...
And anything else you can tell me, general knowledge and stuff like that... thanks!!
1. eh well I have 5 different kinds at my house and the sweetest one we have is an americauno ,they dont get real big and they're very sweet.
2. Keep the chickens pinned...when they're younger but once they get over 2-3 pounds they can probably defend themselves against the cats... Mine do... haha those cats get more wounds than my chickens
3. Only keep the baby chicks in the house, and do not let them have free roam, you'll never get them back haha bad experience there. When my chickens were about 8 pounds smaller we kept them in my tiled shower with all of there stuff in there and with one corner a heat lamp to keep them warm. But you have to let them have outside time to at a young age, keep them in a pen and let them outside in the day time, that way they dont have a hard time transfrerring from living in a house to being outside in a coop.
4. Chickens are great pets!!! especially when they're chicks if they trust you, you can run nd they'll chase you like you're they're momma...its halarious. as long as you have the space for them make sure they're coop and yard is attiquite and they'll love you forever. haha my chickens are extremely entertaining i only have 5, they're my pets and they are layers they lay eggs
(thats why my parents allow me to keep them haha) they eat our table scraps like the dogs, and they love pasta its fun to watch them chase eachother... They also are good snake/pest/rodent control ... We use to get snakes all the time around here and since we got chickens we've seen 3 snakes get eaten by the chickens, they've killed the field mice and the annoying bees around our house... We love our chickens they've become part of the family
they live up to 20 years so, you have a long commitment to them
but always make sure to buy atleast 2, chickens are social, and don't like to be alone...so make sure to buy it a friend
i started out with one solo easter chick and now i have 5
3 were bought and 2 were rescues from my neighbor..and they all have they're own personallities.
I hope that helps, and i hope that you decide to get chickens they make wonderful companions