interesting cagemates - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

interesting cagemates

One of the locally owned bird stores around here has a display cage with a cockatiel and a parakeet in a cage together. I'm just curious on if this is a good idea or not. I'm kinda thinking of doing this myself if you guys say its a good idea, as I have both a cockatiel and a parakeet (seperate right now). Is it stressful for either of the birds? I know they both share the same native area, so I'm sure they'd come in contact in the wild and these two seem to love each other when i have them out on the playpen together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it might work if the cage is big enough and the food is the same?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the cage is big, 25" L X 21" W X 30" H, and they both eat basically the same foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM

I think that it would be fine as long as niether of them live in that cage now. It would have to be a neutral area so that one doesnt get territorial. They are both australian and have the same habitat, so if they are good friends it sound like it would work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if the keet is anything like my sisters it wouldn't work HE IS MEAN! but finally gets along with his other keet roomy

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I had them out and wandering around my room last night and they both made it into the cage together. I left the door open so they could go if they pleased. I did close the door for a short time while i was off cooking dinner and there didnt seem to be any problems. And Kendalle, this parakeet is sweet. Spastic, but sweet. lol He's not mean at all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my sisters chased me! ..jerk.. she likes him though, the other is very shy but loveable.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Well then it sound like they are a good match then. I bet they will be happy to have eachother company.
My lovebird chases my brother around the house whenever she sees him. All she does is nibble his ear but my brother freakes out and says my bird is vicious. I think that is funny because she is the sweetest bird ever.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm still not sure if I want to, though, as I don't want to lose the bond I have with either bird.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

As a follow up to this. The cockatiel and parakeet being cagemates was partially successful. They got along fine, but the tiel was outcompeting the keet for food and the keet got skinny. I got another cage for the keet and got them both friends of their own species. This is working out pretty well now.