Intro and some questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Intro and some questions

Hi,
I am new here and thought I would introduce myself.My name is Robin I am owned by 1 Quaker parrot(Houdini) 2 Cockatiels (Casper and Smokey and 3 parakeets and their 7 eggs ( Daffodil, Baby Blue and Dusty) Dusty is the mom to the eggs...she is not a freiendly bird...she was given to us along with aanother male. The male was not very healthy we had him to the vet but he was already too sick and nothing helped him. She is very healthy just not very friendly...when the male passed we ought 2 others...Well they all get along very well...soo well that we now have 7 eggs from them. This is my first time at breeding birds.I have a brooder set up just in case something goes wrong. And even had my vet teach me how to hand feed if I need to. I go there on the weekends and he has been teaching me( he has quite a few babies ) I have been giving Mom extra calcium and lots veggies and fruit is there anything else I need to do for her. She has a nest box which she is aways in the male does feed her...Can I put some food inside the nest box for her??She is getting a bit thin but extremely so.But I don't want her to get sick and weak either.
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,
So far , it sounds like everything is fine.

Don't put food in the box as that can spoil and make "mommy" or the babies sick.

It sounds like the nest box is working well. "Daddy" is feeding "Mommy" and that is exactly what is supposed to happen.

Having a cuttlebone would be a great source of calcium and The male will feed from it and in turn feed it to the female.

The eggs are usually laid about two days apart. That means that the babies will hatch (if the eggs are fertile) about two days apart after the first one hatches.

About 20 days after the first egg was laid, the eggs will start to hatch. Another one will hatch about every two days until all the viable eggs hatch.

The babies are very tiny and at first should be left alone unless something really major goes wrong.

The parents do a nice job of raising them although occasionally a parent will not feed a baby or will even kill it. Some females are great mothers while some just don't get it.

It only takes 28 days or so after an egg hatches for a parakeet (budgie) to be mature enough to leave the nest. So you can figure on the nest being emptied in four to six weeks after the first egg hatches.

Some things to do: once a week, I like to open the nest box and lightly mist the nest and eggs with clean water. The box needs some extra humidity in it for the eggs to develop peroperly. I am not talking about a soaking, just a light misting.

There may be a need to clean the box out a little even in the middle of the babies growing up. I like to clean out the box a little after about two weeks after the last egg hatches.

You can carefully handle the babies after they are about two weeks old. keep in mind that when one is two weeks old, there are others that are only one week old as they hatched the latest.

It is OK to handle the oldest ones in the nest and put them back.

It is an old wives tale that a bird will not take care of it's babies if a human touches them.

You will probably not have to hand feed a baby keet but if you do, be extremely careful. It is easily possible to kill a baby by handfeeding it incorrectly.

By the way, it is also possible for your female to be sitting on infertile eggs. You can gently hold an egg up to the light and after about a week, you will actually see a dark spot inside the egg and you will see what looks like veins on the inside surface of the egg. If you cn see that, then the eggs are good. If you have any questions about the eggs then just leave them in the nest. they will either hatch or they wont. It is not uncommon for a female to lay a few "duds" and then lay eggs that are good.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Good Luck!!

Bill
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you soooo Much. I have been looking for a good forum with people like you. I will candle the eggs tonight so I can habe an idea what to expect if anything.I have no intentions of helping unless it is needed.It is looking like Dad id doing the right thing so far.I will just keep on eye on them and only intervene if I have to. Otherwise it will be all up to them.
Thnanks for the great info.
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

WEll I just went and checked the eggs...It really is looking like they are all fertile...Everyone is red inside...I have hatched both leopard geckos and Bearded dragons...the eggs are a bit different but candling is the same and you are loking for the same thing. So I think they are all fertile.The veins are there.She did lay a clutch before but I knew tha male was not well and so the eggs were not fertile and I could tell ...all I saw was yellow in them these before I even picked them up just looking at them I could see a pink hue.

I can't believe it...I am keeping my fingers crossed that they all make it...being er first live clutch I hope she will be able to manage them all....anything I should giver her to help her with being able to feed them all once they start hatchig??
Thank you so much for all your help.
Robin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Nope,
You just feed the dad and let him do the rest. The male and female will occasionally trade places and the female will come out to get food and water too. As long as the male is going in and out of the box you should have no troubles. He'll feed the female and the female will feed the chicks.
Good Luck:-) feel free to ask anything at anytime and I'll try to help. You can also email me at [email protected] if you need any other info.
It should go well!

have Fun,
Bill

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, lay eggs, leopard gecko, nest box