The Learning Perch: Why does my bird pluck its feathers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post The Learning Perch: Why does my bird pluck its feathers?

Why Do Parrots Pick Their Feathers?

How often do you see outside birds with picked feathers? You may see feathers looking ruffled or dirty, but are they picking feathers?

This thought raises several questions, some unanswered, as to why our pet parrots do pluck their feathers. Is it their environment, disease, insecurity, depression, or lack of attention that brings them to pick some or all feathers?

All species may pluck their feathers, but the African Greys and Cockatoos seem to be the worse offenders.

Possible reasons for feather picking:

* illness
* improper diet
* boredom
* excessive dry conditions
* over stimulation
* depression
* too many parrots

Click here for details on reasons and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:52 AM

I dont know if this is too late to do a post but I found the article very interesting thanks jodi, I worry constantly about my pet cockatoo "charlie" I feel he needs something to amuse himself with, but stupid me always thought he would wreck any toy I tried to put in his cage, because of his strong beak, but you have prompted me to go to the pet shop tomorow and see if they have any toys for him, because I feel he needs constant stimulation to keep him happy, I hope to get my hubby to build him a larger cage too
cheers
shazmark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi Shazmark! Welcome to Paw Talk!

What types of birds do you have?

I have a Harlequin Macaw with a big ol beakie. His beak is very strong and he's a chewer. He goes through tons of toys. We make most of his toys (to save $$). We have stores called "Dollar Stores" where everything in the store is only $1. Do ya'll have those in Australia? If so, they're great places to get bird toy parts. There's a thread somewhere around here about toy making.

Glad you enjoyed the article. I look forward to hearing more about your birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 AM

tnx so much for your reply jodie,
WoW!!! a Macaw, you are so lucky wish I could aford one of those, they cost about 4 or 5 grand here. We have 3 galahs and a sulphur crested cockatoo named
'Charlie' and we are allso breeding finches again . We have stores like that here so I shall love to find the thread on making the bird toys cos I would love to be able to make charlie and the girls some toys.
tnx again
shazmark (shaz)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey Shaz, here's the thread:
Toy Making

You have 3 Galahs? Were they wild caught or bred? How about some pictures!! Would love to see your SC2! How old are your big birds? What kind of diet do you keep 'em on? Just being nosy! LOL

Post some pics!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 11:47 PM

too many reasons for feather picking im a lucky one who found the cure for my feather picking green cheek who by the way was totally bald all his torubles was wanting a freind of his own kind a female and he is cured ,a 250.00 dallor fix after spending 1500 on test and everything came back normal ,
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 09:28 AM

Hey Jodi, I LOVE the picture of the toy you made!

I'm just curious...I've seen those plastic type objects on a lot of bird toys. I remember hearing or reading (perhaps bird talk magazine) that you have to be careful with plastic toys that birds can chew apart. It said something about that initially the bits of plastic won't hurt the bird but they don't pass in the digestive system. Eventually they can build up and make the bird very ill. Have you ever heard that? I would love to go to the $ store and make some cheap toys for my grey. Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Good point Brenda! Yes, that is true. Birds cannot digest plastic. My bird, is strictly a chewer. He doesn't *eat* any of the stuff he chews, whether it's wood or plastic. He just likes to destroy. You would have to know your bird and know what they will do. And watch them closely to see if they try to eat the plastic. Most will just tear it apart. They like the feeling of ripping it apart!

I know a lot of bird owners that offer toys similar to what Toby gets. But I also know a girl that can only offer wood!

You have a grey? What's his or her name? How old?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Good point Brenda! Yes, that is true. Birds cannot digest plastic. My bird, is strictly a chewer. He doesn't *eat* any of the stuff he chews, whether it's wood or plastic. He just likes to destroy. You would have to know your bird and know what they will do. And watch them closely to see if they try to eat the plastic. Most will just tear it apart. They like the feeling of ripping it apart!

I know a lot of bird owners that offer toys similar to what Toby gets. But I also know a girl that can only offer wood!

You have a grey? What's his or her name? How old?
Yes, I have a small congo sexed grey male His name is Bailey and he has been with me since he was 12 weeks old. I just looked up his hatch date and was shocked to see it was 1995 I've been saying he was 6 or 7 years for a couple of years now LOL I plan on getting old and "grey" with him LOL

He has only been sick once in his life and it still bothers me to no end because I don't know why. A couple of years ago he developed a popping noise when he moved. It turned out he had fluid in his air sacs and we had to put him on antibiotics. I was beating myself up thinking it must be because I didn't keep his cage clean enough. My vet told me that sometimes these things just happen It is extremely frightening when a pet bird gets sick and I hope it never happens again!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 AM

tnx jodie for the toy making thread, will check it out shortly, my hubby has saved all the galahs we have from being hit by cars, I feed them just a wildbird mix I buy in bulk from a produce store we have here. I allso give them treats every now and then, I was told that they like dog biscuits, but the galahs dont seem to go for any thing other than the seed, but 'charlie likes everything. i shall try and insert some pics later on here so let me know if they work cos im still feeling my way around this wonderful site, anyways catch yu soonish
have to go feed the finches
cheers shaz(mark)

Tags
african grey, bird toys, dog biscuits, pet shop