Lineolated Parakeets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Lineolated Parakeets

Okay folks, I saw one of these in the pet store today and thought he was super cute! ( I'm attaching a pic for those who don't know what they look like). I fell in love with the little guy, but since I know nothing about them he's still at the store. So, any have one? Tips? Experiences? I'm searching the net as we speak but any and all info you could post would be most appreciated!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM

So ya wanna come join us crazy bird folk??

I don't know much about the little keets so I'm no help there but I can give you a good link: Birds N Ways
Birds n ways has lots of good information.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 PM

So do they like linoleum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:14 PM

I dont know much about the little parikeets either, But I do have two birds. (Blue and Gold and a Senegal) So yeah. Thats what I know. But I can probably help. If you need lots of help on birds I no a parrot talk forum (for parrots only) And you could get some info from there. Please PM me if you want to know it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the link Jodi. I don't see anything specifically on them there, but I will look about anyways!

Um, not sure on the lineolium...

Noo1home, pming you!

Come drop by!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 AM

http://www.lineolated-parakeet.bravepages.com/

Sorry if this is the page you have looked at Lizz, but I figured I'd go out and do a Google on them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:58 AM

I have a Linnie, Dallas is a 2 year old normal green male. He is a lovely bird. I have said many times, "if I could only have one small bird, a Linnie would be my choice". I have had 'tiels, love birds, parrotletts and budgies. Linnies wins with their charm and sweet nature.

Linnies are quiet and perfect for people who need a quiet atmosphere, such as apartment dwellers. The noise they do make is a very sweet sound, kind of like a song bird. They are also good talkers, maybe not as good as a budgie and certainly not like my CAGs, but never their voice is clear and easily understood. My Dallas was saying "hi" while still being hand-fed. Now he also has added, "Pretty baby" and "pretty bird" and "Rio" to his vocabulary. He also laughs with a sweet little, "hee hee hee hee".

Rio, our female green-cheek conure is Dallas' best buddy and when my birds are out of the cage, they are always together. Rio is much more infactuated with Dallas than Dallas is with Rio. Conures are very gregarious and the more the merrier. Linnies are much more loners. They are not birds who appreciate a great deal of cuddling and are not lovey dovey. Dallas will not preen Rio no matter how much she encourages him. Rio will lovingly preen each of Dallas' feathers, but it's all about Dallas. She receives no reciprecation of her attentions and affections. If Rio gets too 'touchy feelie" with Dallas, he will make a small squeak and move away from her to let her know that he has had enough love for the moment. Don't expect a linnie to be cuddly like a cockatoo or lay on their back like a Sennie.

Dallas is the normal coloration of the wild Linnie. He is a bright, shiny green with black bars on his wings. His feathers are much more glossy than budgies. My breeder was able to sex him visually in the nest from her experience. I still ran a DNA test and she was right.

Linnies need and appreciate a lot of horizontal space because they run along the branches of the trees in the wild. They have a very low crouched appearance. It's very comical to see him crouching down and running along the perches in his cage.

Size wise, a Linnie is smaller than a budgie, but harger than a parrotlett. They are stocky little birds with bone colored beaks.

Linnies poop tends to be a little more liquid than a budgie. Some people who have had other birds, find watery poopie a little alarming at first. It is not as liquid as a lory and they are not bad about squirting outside the cage, but if you are not aware of this fact, you may think a linnie has diarrhea.

My breeder has many color variations of Linnies now. Blues, yellows, creams, lavenders.......they are exquisite, like little gems when they are all bunched together in the nest.

There is a lot of debate at this time if they should really be called a "parakeet" at all. They do not have a long tail like species called "keets" do. They also hold their food in the foot when they eat. They are more parrot like in their appearance.

Linnies are such lovely birds and I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a small parrot choose one over a budgie or a cockatiel do to their sweet, humble nature. Of course, there is a big difference in the price of Linnies. They are still more expensive than 'tiels or budgies.

They are still a little rare right now, but I expect they will be very popular in the future. I hope this helps you and if you decide to get a Linnie, I will give you a link to my breeder here in Georgia. Maybe she has contacts with breeders in other areas.
~Kathy~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thank you very much for your experience!! So, you've kept him alone and he's okay? Most of what I have found so far lead me to believe they are highly social and need to be in pairs or groups. Dallas is happy being an only 'keet? I would love to have the link to your breeder

Come drop by!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Dallas seems to be perfectly happy alone in his cage, but I am sure with a Linnie's "make love, not war" attitude, he'd accept a cage mate with no problem. We have 5 other companion birds, so he always has other non-linnies to communicate with if he desires.

Good luck and I hope you find a Linnie to love soon.

~Kathy~

Okay...here is the link to the breeder I bought Dallas from and also, our Pacific Parrotlett, Emme.

http://www.bluemoonaviary.com/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thank you for the link! I have sent her an email. Hopefully I will hear back shortly

Come drop by!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 PM

Wow, they are very pretty birds.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I know!! I have finally found a breeder in Ont. And she has one avail.!! I can't wait to hear back from her. Though I can't get overly excited...unless we do move I do not know if I can fit a good sized bird cage in here. Then there's the cats and I'll have to keep the bird in my bedroom when away (My cats WILL get in the cage and kill it if I am not around to watch them. Orangey especially, as he is an ex outdoor cat and can hunt amazingly well. The others are extremely sharp too.)OO, SO many if's. Now I'm getting bummed. I hope we can move soon...Just not enough space here...

Come drop by!

Tags
bird cage, cage mate, outdoor cat, pet store