This is a little unorthadox... but chicken help please... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation This is a little unorthadox... but chicken help please...

Hey guys, I know it's been awhile since ive posted but i have sort of an emergency, my pet chicken has an eye infection and its has alot of puss in it, and on the top eyelid it seems as though there is a "bubble" which at first i thought was tumor, her eye is so swollen that she cannot see out of it. When i picked her up to look at her eye she felt almost limp any one who's handled chickens know that they don't sit still for a long period of time.

So does any one on here know what can do to fix her eye, a home remeday maybe?

I would take her to the vet but I don't have the money right now things are tight and they're are very few poultry vets around where i live.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

since you are in texas look for a vet that will give you anti biotics with out seeing the bird. You can go to a Large animal vet, or a livestock vet, say you have a hurt chicken and you need antibiotics for it

Here we can get livestock meds with out a vet visit. just ask about the dose and you will probably have to give it as a shot but maybe it could be over food, but you will have to learn if it is for the muscle or in a vein or under skin. some are oral and you should be able to get a serenge (sp) with no needle.

Livestock vets are normally cheaper also if you have them do it.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks Kendalle... But it's really hard to find some one in my part of texas i live in a city with no livestock restrictions and livestock vets here are exspensive i've checked into a few of them...they were around $50 for the visit alone, and they required to see the animal, that would be more stress obn the chicken and i dont want to stress her out to badly... i do have some eye medication for a cat though called Vetropolycin and its a steril antibacterial, i forgot we had some from when our cat had an eye infection, So I figured i would try that, and if nothing else ill see about getting some over the counter steril eye drops..and if that doesn't clear it up, Ill pick an alternative... but i think the Vetropolycin might just do the trick.

My Zoo!

)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Honey (Old English)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I am allergic to maths

Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

here where I live the feed stores sell antibiotics for chickens, cows and horses and so on...my chicken had a sore on her leg and after just a phone call to the vet I got it the meds it needed at the feed store and shes all better...do you have any feed stores?

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes, we have a local store called "Gulf Tex" and that's where we purchased our chickens from, and we took my chicken (scrappy) up there to one of our friends who actually owns the feed store and she gacea us some "sumtel" antibiotics, its for respritory problems and i looked up her symptoms and all i could come up with was Infectios Corzya. So shes been on the antibiotics since saturday along with the vertropolycin in her eyes, because it seems as though her inner eyelid is swollen, and that's what causing her not to open her eye. The Sutmel is given to her with Pedilite because she was extremely dehyderated, and Infectious Corzya causes a drop in appettite so she hasn't eaten anything since around thursday.
Her eye is getting slightly better though, but it's still has a lot of puss in it, but i clean her eye twice a oday and when ive cleaned her eye I add more Vetropolycin, to hopefully take away some of the swelling and keep it from becoming even more infected and irritated.

Thank you "RodentzRule" But I believe she'll be fine now, Maybe I'll post some pictures of my chicken to show her progress or something I need to add pictures anyways.

Thanks to all of you who helped with Scrappy.

My Zoo!

)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Honey (Old English)

Tags
advice?, chicken, emergency