looking to adopt a bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

looking to adopt a bird

hey everyone! I am new here, but I am hoping you all can help me. a friend of mine is moving away and wants to adopt out her birds. she has a single cockatiel, a pair of cockatiels, and a quaker parrot. I have cared for finches, parakeets, lovebirds, and an untame parrotlet before, and I would like to adopt one of her cages.

my question is, for someone who is relatively new to bigger birds, what do you recommend? all of them are tame, I have played with all of them before. I am concerned about the quaker because I hear that they can be quite noisy, but based on my research, they also seem like the friendliest. as far as the cockatiels, are they friendlier alone or in pairs?

any tips or advice would be great. I am doing lots of research online to prepare, but it would be great to have firsthand advice! thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

alone, as they are more bonded to you and not the other bird.

besides that i have no idea. good luck

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Curmudgeon

Quakers, like any bird have the potential to be noisy. Each individual is different though. See what your friend thinks of their Quaker. It may not be a particularly noisy bird. Quakers are amazingly smart and interactive birds. Almost everyone I know who has ever owned one has raved about it....

One thing to take into account though, it might be louder than it's "norm" for the first few weeks or months, until it gets used to a new home. Then again, I've seen birds be quieter than normal through that transitional period.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

yeah my lovebird was very qiet for the first week and slowly got louder now she is super loud so a good thing would be ask the owner. also 2 birds are usuly much more loud than 1. but honestly i dont mind the nois, some people do others are fine with it. 1 bird is more likely to bond to you, but ask your friend because the pair may even be more frendly becuse its individual. my aunt have a pair of cockatiels they are so friendly even love to have they heads skratched. quakers are very smart they get boerd easily so if you choos it make sure you have alot time to interakt and give it foods in puzzle toys and such.

Tags
adopt, cockatiel, quaker