looking at buying budgies within the next year I need help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

looking at buying budgies within the next year I need help!

Hello there guys, I need some advise I am looking at guying some budgies within the next year a pair probably...and I need advise on the matter. I have joined a few Budgie forums to ask this question to other people...That might know more about them but have not gotten a great deal of responses back so I thought I would ask here as well.

What I want to know the most is
1. What size bird cage should I look at getting if I am getting a pair and not just one bird?
2. Should I look at buying the birds from a breeder or a pet store? I am buying a good portion of the animals I have now from breeders cuz I have always heard they are of better quality and health, but being a college student I would like to save some money....and I think getting the birds from a pet store might not be too expensive but....if I can find them from a breeder for not a terrible price I would consider it...anyway not too sure about this don't even know if breeders for this type of bird exist...this is what I need the most help on..
3.what all do I need to do with the birds once they come home specifically do I need to clip their wings or do anything like that so that if they get out they can't fly away on me...it’s been a while since I owned a bird and I could use some advise.

That’s really all I can think of I am going to post these questions on some other boards of mine too so that I can get lots of input any help would be lovely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Curmudgeon

First off, ...why are you buying two? They will most likely bond to each other very strongly, not you. If you don't mind losing some of their 'affection', this is perfectly fine. ...especially if you don't have time, or want to spend time with them. They'll do great without you.

But again, if you want a good one-on-one pet, I wouldn't recommend getting two for the same cage.

Caging is pretty easy. In any good pet store or online you can find cages designed for budgies/cockatiels and they'll generally say how many birds should occupy it. A little larger is always better.

Get your birds froma good source. A good breeder, or a good pet store that you trust, ..really not much of a difference. I prefer breeders, but a good store is almost as good.

You might want to continue lurking and asking questions on the boards, get a book or two, ..there are even some periodicals that can give you some help.

As far as clipping goes, ..I always clip. It is however a subject of some debate. In my mind, safety of the animal always comes first, ...so they get clipped.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
First off, ...why are you buying two? They will most likely bond to each other very strongly, not you. If you don't mind losing some of their 'affection', this is perfectly fine. ...especially if you don't have time, or want to spend time with them. They'll do great without you.

But again, if you want a good one-on-one pet, I wouldn't recommend getting two for the same cage.

Caging is pretty easy. In any good pet store or online you can find cages designed for budgies/cockatiels and they'll generally say how many birds should occupy it. A little larger is always better.

Get your birds froma good source. A good breeder, or a good pet store that you trust, ..really not much of a difference. I prefer breeders, but a good store is almost as good.

You might want to continue lurking and asking questions on the boards, get a book or two, ..there are even some periodicals that can give you some help.

As far as clipping goes, ..I always clip. It is however a subject of some debate. In my mind, safety of the animal always comes first, ...so they get clipped.

bob
I think I wanted to look at getting a pair because most of the animals I have been getting have been in pairs and I figured it would help with the animals stress if they were to move into somewhere new with a buddy with them. Though since I am not planning on getting them for a while I might change my mind and get just one it kind of depends on how I will feel about it nearer towards when I plan on getting them. I have heard a lot people say that they will bond more to each other then to the person but I think if I worked hard at interacting with both of them they could grow to bond with me to...its not like it would be impossible just a little harder if there was a pair of them.

I have gotten a lot of great advise on what to look for in a cage, and I think that once the time gets closer to when I want to get them I am going to look into getting one off of Craigslist since its a pretty good resource for getting nice used cages, and other pet supplies.

Like I said nothing is written in stone right yet I am still very much looking into things hopefully things will pan out as I do more research thank you for the tips and advise I will keep you all posted as to how things turn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Getting 2 usually end's with them not wanting/needing human contact. Mostly when they are homed together - rather then in there own place's with common areas they can play!

People surrender budgies quite often. Keep an eye in your paper, word of mouth - you don't have to buy from a breeder or pet store! "2nd hand birds" are just as important as any other pet in the family!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Curmudgeon

I would not buy a used cage, ever.

There are way too many things that can stay in a cage. I always wonder what happened to the birds that used to live in them, what did they die of. You'll never know for sure if you get a cage from someone you don't know.

Admittedly, you could save $20-50 by buying used, but that is less than half the fee my avian vet charges for one visit. In the long run, it's not the 'deal' it may appear to be.

While I"m on the subject, start looking for a vet now. It takes a while for some people to locate a good avian vet. Check to see if your vet works with birds, if not see who they recommend. You might also check with the pet shops or breeders you talk to for recommendations from them. If you are lucky, you'll hear the same name come up over and over again. That could mean he/she is the best around.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Playful Pup

Best website for reading up on budgie care :3 - Budgie Talk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksong17 View Post
Best website for reading up on budgie care :3 - Budgie Talk
its funny you mentioned that site since I am actually on there! Thank you all for advise I don't I am going to be getting a Budgie any time soon it might be even more then a year now just cuz I have soo much going on but at least I have good starting research material and believe me I will make sure to do my homework before I bring the little one home. I also think that instead of getting two I will just get one. Probably a green one...never had a green one before and I think I would like it.
Again thanks for helpful advise I will keep you all posted as to if and when I do get my little feathered friend.

Tags
avian vet, bird cage, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet supplies