LOVEBIRD Owners? Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Talking LOVEBIRD Owners? Questions!

Hi!

I am new here. I had some questions regarding my peachfaced lovebird. She's all alone in a cage and I feel bad because I haven't been able to find her a mate. I know it is difficult to determine sex with lovebirds and usually a DNA test would determine whether or not a lovebird is male or female. I met a pet shop owner who is good at figuring out the sex, but he hasn't had any lovebirds come in to the shop. I guess lovebirds are getting scarce in pet shops these days.

My question is... is there a pet shop online where I can special order a male lovebird? Do i specifically have to mate my peachfaced lovebird with another peachface? I know there are different lovebirds, so Im wondering if any male "lovebird" will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Like you said the only true way to tell is with the DNA sexing. May I ask why you want another love bird? are you planing on breeding?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidertales
Like you said the only true way to tell is with the DNA sexing. May I ask why you want another love bird? are you planing on breeding?
yes. plus, my peachface has been alone... i kind of want to hook her up with a mate. i feel bad when she lays eggs and she mothers the eggs not knowin they wont hatch without a mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 PM

You will probably have to find a breeder. If there was on online pet store with a bird you could put in a cart like feature, i would begin to worry on our take of animal lives

Find a breeder near you and make sure yours is female. And you can't just shove a male into the cage with her if it is a female..you need to buy a seperate cage and let them get to know each other. Your putting a strange bird in her territory so she will act out to protect herself.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee
You will probably have to find a breeder. If there was on online pet store with a bird you could put in a cart like feature, i would begin to worry on our take of animal lives

Find a breeder near you and make sure yours is female. And you can't just shove a male into the cage with her if it is a female..you need to buy a seperate cage and let them get to know each other. Your putting a strange bird in her territory so she will act out to protect herself.
i dont know any breeders around this area. most of these pet stores do not have qualified employees who know much about these birds. my plan is to buy a male lovebird and put him ina separate cage so that they do get used to each other. im just worried that they might not get along and fight. i dont want to see my female lovebird dying or dead from fighting with the male lovebird. thats why im somewhat skeptical about buying another lovebird.

Tags
pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores