Lovebirds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Lovebirds

Does anyone have Lovebirds? I have had parakeets and cockatiels, but never a Lovebird. I just saw an ad for a peach faced one for $25. I responded with alot of questions such as: what kind of temperament, is he/she a biter, ever gotten sick, and has it ever plucked out his own feathers. I am wondering if they live longer than parakeets and if they are sociable birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:28 PM

I've never had a lovebird but I've heard they need daily socialization to keep them tame, they can be loud, cuddly, nippy & playful.

I don't know if you can tame an adult lovebird that hasn't been socialized. You might want to start with a hand fed baby. Again, I'm not sure but I don't believe lovebirds are known for being pluckers. I think they have a lifespan of about 10 years.

Here are some sites I found:
Link #1
Link #2
Link #3

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:40 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

UGH. I begged my boss to get some lovebirds, because they're so pretty - she did, and I wish someone would buy them now. They WERE tame when we got them in, but, like Jodi said, they revert back real quick. It's our goal now to retame them, and it's not going well at all.
And the screeching. You don't want them too close, I bent down near one of the cages one day and got an earful. It's ear piercing - it literally made my ears ring. Our groomer keeps asking me when I'm taking them home, seeing how I was the one that suggested getting them. I don't think I'd ever get lovebirds unless I had a bird room. They're adorable, but IMO, that's it.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Those were excellent links!!! Thank you. The one I have inquired about...well actually two same sex pair are hand fed raised from a breeder. That would lead me to thinking they would be social, but time will tell I still haven't heard back yet.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Sharon) Excellent point. I have always liked there coloring, but if they can be noisy to the point it made your ears ringing....maybe I'd better pass. I certainly don't want to give my chins a heartattack. I have heard from other breeders, not on this forum, that chins can socialize with birds. Meaning they talk back and forth. I think if I were to get one at all it needs to be a very young baby and not a one yr old.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've always known lovebirds to do better in pairs- for the very reason you have all mentioned. They are hard to keep socialized, bonded and tame. They are very cute to watch in a bonded pair. It does take a lot of time to socialize and bond them with you and I believe they can be quite the nippers and biters.

Weird thing - they have the ability to talk but I have never heard of any who do. They don't sing like cockatiels - they kind of sound like pagers, phones and beepers to me
Sharon - do the ones where you work make strange sounds or just scream?

Personally for me, I prefer a bird that can be my buddy. But - that's just me

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:35 PM

Some strange noises, some just plain old screeching. And nippers ? OMG, every time we get bit, they draw blood. I finally told my boss, she's gonna have to tame them without my help, because I'm tired of being bit. We have a blue one that's meaner than a 2-headed snake !
I hate to sound so negative about these cute lil buggers, but I just don't care for them !

Sharon
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys. I have decided against them. I don't need a vampire in my house! They are just such pretty birds. If I could find a bird similar to a parakeet, but with a longer life span I would be happy. I used to have a blue, green and a white one when I was in middle school. The blue and green one's would always give me a kiss and sit on my shoulder or head while I did my homework. I still remember those sweet birds. I just hated that they have such a short life span.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:00 PM

Have you considered a cockatiel ?? They're a bit bigger, but sweet and a lot of fun - and they can learn to talk and sing and whistle. I'd love to have a cockatiel !!

Sharon
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I've always known lovebirds to do better in pairs- for the very reason you have all mentioned.
That's funny you say that. My vet (avian, board certified and avid bird lover) mentioned that they do better alone because one tends to be dominant and pick on the other when paired.

Stephanie

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Sharon) As a matter of fact I just responded to an add re:cockatiel. I went onto petfinders and located a rescue shelter in my area and they just got in a baby cockatiel that was brought in from the owner due to having more than she could handle. I went ahead and emailed them instead of waiting until Monday morning, so hopefully he/she is still available. They don't know what sex he is yet.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:55 PM

I've heard there's some controversy in the bird world weather they should be kept in pairs or not.

From what I've read...If you have just one, and you keep him socialized, he will bond to you. If you have a pair they are more likely to bond to each other. And you have to work even harder to keep a pair socialized.

My point being....if you would want one for a pet, get just one. It's easier to work with one that will bond to you.

But I guess nevermind since you're not interested anymore!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:56 PM

Do you have a link for a picture of the one being adopted?
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:07 AM

Oh! What a sweetie!
Keep us updated!!

Tags
animal cruelty