Major Breakthrough! I'm So Happy!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Angry Major Breakthrough! I'm So Happy!!

I took Dweezil out tonight for our nightly play and cuddle. Dante's cage is right next to Dweezil's and I've been trying so hard to interact and get Dante interested in me again.

When I put Dweezil back in his cage I decided it was time to take another step with Dante. I opened his cage door and started talking to him. I offered my hand and told him "Step UP" - of course he went to bite me! I stopped to think a minute. I know that sometimes when a bird is uncertain they will beak first to test for secure footing. I was hoping this was the case. I persisted. I even tried to distract him with a Ritz Cracker

I couldn't believe it! I didn't move my hand and let him nip at my finger. I was stunned! He reached out his little foot and grasped my finger - I pushed toward his chest telling him "UP!" He got onto my finger and let me take him out of his cage!

He started laughing at me- the little booger! He started playing and talking. I got brave and took him into the den where Jim was watching TV. I knew this was risky, but I did it.

He stayed with me! We played like we used to! He even asked me, "UP?" UP is a game we play where I ask him, "Dante what's the opposite of DOWN?" and he says "UP!" and I lift him high into the air on my finger then say "DOWN" as I move him down. This can go on forever - he says "UP?" and I say "DOWN" LOL!!

I had to get pictures... I look like I was run over by a truck and I am in my pajamas ... please excuse the awful, horrid hair and total yucky way I look! But- I had to share these with you guys!

OK- here we are... me and Dante!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Angry

Here he is on my finger...

[center]

[
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Angry

He even hung upside down off me... we used to love doing this! I was so happy...

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Angry

I taught him to "sing" - I sing "Laaah!" and he sings with me...

Here he is singing with me ...

[center]

[
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Angry

And one more of him sitting on my finger...

I was going to try for a kiss, but he was starting to get a little flushed and he started to flip his wings which usually means he is really trying to get to Jim!

After this picture, he was very happy to go to his favorite person...

What progress! I am so happy

[center]

[
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 05:01 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Deja it is always an amazing feeling when you gain an animals trust again!! My boyfriend has some horrid photos of me first thing in the morning in pyjamas and with my 21st birthday creeping up I'm terrified he'll use them against me!!! lol

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 AM

How wonderful for you!!

All the pictures are great, especially when he is singing! Very cute.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 10:15 AM

Yay! That's so great Deja! Dante is soo beautiful I love his face!

And you're right, if you pull away they think they've "won". I know it's hard but handeling macaws with confidence is the key! But that can be SO hard to do if you've been bit and know what a big ol beak feels like! Distractions are good - and if they are definitely going to bite you can even use a dowel or stick to have them step up on so they can't get to your hand/arm to bite. I doubt you would need that though. Thats usually used for birds that are having behavioral problems.

That's so awesome that he hung out with you! I'm so happy for you. What a great feeling that must've been!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 06:58 PM

That is awesome!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:32 PM

Glad to hear about your progress! I wish you luck with more boding and trust sessions in the future!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:38 PM

That's great you could do that!! Im so happy for you!! He is very beautiful!! I love the torquiose color kind of under his wings!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:42 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

That's great, Deja !
OMG - I love that picture of him singing, I can practically hear him !

Sharon
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm glad to hear he's warming up to you again. The pic of him singing is hilarious!

Rhonda