Male or Female?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Male or Female??

How can you tell what YOUR bird is??

We picked Abe hoping he would be a boy. I've heard the common way of telling 'tiels was by their cheek patches. If its really bright its a boy, if its duller its a girl.

I heard from my mom today that you can also tell by looking at the tail feathers of a 'tiel. If there are stripes, its female. (Has anyone else heard this?)

So how do you tell your bird's sex? (Don't forget to tell what kinda bird you have, too!)

-Mallory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

in my experiences of tiels I have never heard of that Mal...
usually the only possitive way is to have DNA testing done... or wait till you find eggs in the cage, then obviously you have a girl!
In tiels the best way to tell without the DNA test is the cheek patches... BUT you really can't be sure untill they are over 6 months old I believe, that is when their color is mature. BUT if you have an odd mutation than it is much more difficult... pied, pearls, & lutinos can be a bit trickier than a standard grey.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Miss New Booty

I agree with Fsty. There is no *for sure* way to know with tiels' unless you DNA them. I haven't heard about the tail feathers theory before, but I have heard about the cheek colors, darker for boys, etc. I *think* mine are boys. They have bright cheeks and are about 2 1/2 now, and no eggies But I am not for sure.
In parakeets, you can tell by the cere, girls are tan/brown, boys are blue. Snowy is a girl and Casper is a boy.
In the big birds, like tiels, the only way to know is by DNA test, and Angel, my Umbrella Cockatoo, we still haven't taken him to get it yet.(I just call Angel him )
Also, it is said the males talk more than females. *I* am not a believer in this, b/c my female parakeet talks a mile a minute, where as all my other birds don't. Sunny(tiel) can say "Hi sunny bunny" and they both whistle a Wal-mart commerical we taught them.I think it's all in how you work with them. Angel is still a baby and is trying! Everyone says "Oh parakeets don't talk, especially females" I say "Whatever you want to think! come see Snowy!" lol!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 AM

I've heard those theories about tiels too....I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but I would agree that the best way to tell is a DNA test. (Hey, if Abe turns out to be a girl...you could always call her Abeline )

With Macaws the only way you can tell is with a DNA test. Males & females look the exact same. Some people claim that males are a little larger than females but that is definitely not something that you could go by to sex them. We had Toby's test when he was about 2 months old.

If you're thinking of getting Abe tested it's not that expensive. If you look in the back of Birdtalk magazine there are some places that are fairly inexpensive.

Tags
standard grey