Many Questions about Birds as pets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Many Questions about Birds as pets

Greetings!

We have been looking into birds as pets, but I'm having a hard time gaining any real insight into whether they are a good match for us.

So, I wanted to ask some questions :blob4: :

1. How do we decide what type of bird or birds is/are right for us?
(We want one/s we can hold, interact with, one/s that will be part of the family. While we would enjoy ones that are talkative, we don't want ones that will "cry" if we aren't in the room every second.)

2. Are there any health or other concerns with having birds? That is, for instance, my spouse is allergic to cats. Are there people who shouldn't have birds because of certain allergens, etc? Also, I read about one type of bird that gives of a "preening dust"...and I have a history of bronchial troubles...would I have problems keeping birds as pets?

3. We have two children, one teen and one younger child (7). Are there types of birds that do better with families as opposed to older people?

4. We also have a dog. While he's not a constant barker, he is a healthy, average dog who can be noisy once in a while. Are there any birds that we should avoid because they scare easily?

5. Come to think of it, are there are any pets that don't mix well with birds? Also, any birds that shouldn't be kept together (in the same house, that is, not the same cage...although I'd also be interested to know what birds can be or should be kept together)?

Thank you for your time and information. I appreciate any help/info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 11:55 AM

To start with as I tell anyone that is interested in a bird, everything about them is expensive. They themselves are expensive (most species), cages are expensive, toys are expensive, food can be expensive depending on bird, vet bills are really expensive. There are ways of course to find things cheaper and to get around expenses like buying a good cage second hand or making your own toys but I think when you initially go look many people are overwhelmed by the amount of money you can spend.

Now to answer your other questions:

1. That is probably the one question that will need the most research there are litterally hundreds of choices out there. Depends on size and what you want to spend. Since you are a first time bird owner I would not recommend any of the larger parrots like cockatoos, macaws, amazons and grays. There are always exceptions but these birds need extensive research before owning.

2. There is a chance you could be allergic to birds but that is easy to find out. Go to a breeder or a store, with primarily birds and see what your reactions are. I think by preening dust its refering to birds like cockatoos and the smaller cockatiels. Some people are more sensative to it but with a cockatiel is may not be bad or affect you at all since it is on a much smaller scale.

3. Again it goes back to your first question. You may want to start with a parakeet (also know as a budgie) or a cockatiel but I would strongly recommend that you get them from a breeder that hand raises them and after they are completely weened. Birds in your run of the mill petshop will probably have not gotten any human attention and will be hard to train. That is not to say that there aren't some great pets out there but your chances of finding an out going an interactive one in a pet store is slimmer.

4. You need to acclimate the two slowly just to make sure your dog doesn't get too excited and just sits in front of the cage and barks or knocks it over. You may want to keep the bird in a temporary area where it is a little quieter and have everyone visit him during the day, including the dog until he feels calm and then move him out to a permanent area where he can be with his flock and he is used to everyone. Each bird is an individual and will react differently. Think of it as adopting a very small and feathered three year old child.

5. I guess most people would say that cats don't mix well with birds but I have three birds and two cats. The cats do not go near the cages. My one cat and bird have a special relationship though. When I first feed him she sits infront of the cage and he proceeds to throw food at her. When the birds come out of their cages the cats are locked in my bedroom for that time.

If you want a bird that will be interactive with you I would not recommend putting two birds together in the same cage. Most birds can be kept separate in the same household but when let out of their cages they must be supervised. Like people they may not like each other and could fight. I have three different species of birds, of course none of them like each other, in separate cages all within feet of each other.

I know I've missed tons of information but there is so much out there on birds. I'm sure Jodi or Crittercall or one of our other well informed bird owners, will be around to fill in my huge gaps and give some better information and clarity to what I listed. Good luck on your search
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thanks for the info.

We actually had a few types of birds we thought sounded right for us from what we've found out about them so far, but there seem to be sooo many types that we weren't sure if we should ask only about those ones or look to see if anyone had suggestions.

We are considering:
Ringnecks
Cockatiels
Lorikeets
Lovebirds
Parakeets/Budgies

Are there any other types we should think about? My spouse would prefer ones that have the potential for talking.

Thanks again for any help/info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordgoddess
We are considering:
Ringnecks
Cockatiels
Lorikeets
Lovebirds
Parakeets/Budgies

Are there any other types we should think about? My spouse would prefer ones that have the potential for talking.

Thanks again for any help/info
I would remove Lovebirds from that list if hubby prefers talkers. I'm not a big fan of lovebirds myself, for the most part they are good birds to watch but not play with. Of course there are those out there with very interactive and loving lovebirds. I personally have never come across one. You can also look into some smaller parrots like Parrotlets, Senegal Parrots, African Brownhead Parrots, Red Bellied Parrots, Meyers Parrots and certain conures. Believe it or not some conures are a little quieter than people believe. The very common ones like Sun, Jenday and Nanday are the ones you want to stay away from if you don't like screeching birds. All birds will have an occasional screaming session but it won't be like a "cockatoo making your ears bleed scream" with the smaller birdies.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

I'll start looking for more info...

Thanks! I'll start looking for more info on these ones.

I wasn't sure about the lovebirds. I thought I had read somewhere that they might say a few words, but it's probably because my head is swimming from so many different birds! :tongue2:

So, great...thanks! We definitely want a bird we can interact with and physically hold/touch. I always thought lovebirds were cute, but my spouse said he would prefer something that isn't teeny (and unless I'm mixing them up, they are pretty tiny).

But, Wow! I haven't heard of most of the ones you mentioned. I never realized there were QUITE so many types of birds (for pets, that is)! Even when we had looked into the possibility before, I hadn't realized it. I guess because we'd gone to the local pet store and gotten some info pages from there to base our search on. They only carry a small number of birds there. I've never seen any other types than Lovebirds, Parrokeets, Finches, Macaws, Conures (didn't say what kind), and Cockatoos.

Yeah, we're not too worried about a little noise. Our kids are pretty noisy at times...then again, what kids aren't And our puppy can be really noisy at times! But, he's not "yappy"...he only takes "spells" when he's a bit barky.

So, any Conure except for Jenday, Nanday, and Sun ones would be a good choice?

Okay...oh! So, Cockatoos make your "ears bleed"? lol...Is that ALL of them? Or just some? They'll have to go to the back of the list till we figure it out

So, if you don't mind and I'm not taking up too much of your time: What are some of the differences between these types of birds? I mean, what makes people choose (and LOVE) one type over another?
(Between Cockatiels, Lorikeets, Conures--the non-screechy kinds, Parrotlets, Sengal Parrots, African Brownheads, RedBellied Parrots, Meyers Parrots, and Indian Ringnecks.)

Thanks again for your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
I would remove Lovebirds from that list if hubby prefers talkers. I'm not a big fan of lovebirds myself, for the most part they are good birds to watch but not play with. Of course there are those out there with very interactive and loving lovebirds. I personally have never come across one. You can also look into some smaller parrots like Parrotlets, Senegal Parrots, African Brownhead Parrots, Red Bellied Parrots, Meyers Parrots and certain conures. Believe it or not some conures are a little quieter than people believe. The very common ones like Sun, Jenday and Nanday are the ones you want to stay away from if you don't like screeching birds. All birds will have an occasional screaming session but it won't be like a "cockatoo making your ears bleed scream" with the smaller birdies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordgoddess
I guess because we'd gone to the local pet store and gotten some info pages from there to base our search on. They only carry a small number of birds there. I've never seen any other types than Lovebirds, Parrokeets, Finches, Macaws, Conures (didn't say what kind), and Cockatoos.
Since you are still in New Jersey I know where there are several Bird only Pet stores that could give you lots of information on different species. Try searching the internet too. Also when you finally pick out what bird would be best for you go looking with an open mind because what you pick may not be who comes home with you. Never pick a bird because it has prettier colors, I strongly suggest you go on soley personality, temperment and how the bird responds to you specifically. Parrots are highly intellegent, especially compared to other pets you have. You have to perceive them as little people instead of just birds.

Quote:
So, any Conure except for Jenday, Nanday, and Sun ones would be a good choice?
I'm sure there are others that are loud but these three tend to be the most popular sellers because they have great coloring. I think a couple of others that you might find are Green cheek conures, they are VERY cute and are quieter than the others and I think they are called Dusky Head Conures, I think someone here has one, they are supposed to be quieter also

Quote:
What are some of the differences between these types of birds? I mean, what makes people choose (and LOVE) one type over another?
(Between Cockatiels, Lorikeets, Conures--the non-screechy kinds, Parrotlets, Sengal Parrots, African Brownheads, RedBellied Parrots, Meyers Parrots, and Indian Ringnecks.)
Sengal Parrots, African Brownheads, RedBellied Parrots, Meyers Parrots are all African Parrots. They are small to medium size parrots and pretty affectionate. They can learn to talk and mimic lots of noises. Their diets are the same and I am biased because I own one He was my first bird. He was actually recommended as a good first bird as long as you do the research.

Parrotletts are very tiny but have the same attitude as their cousin the amazon parrot. Its a big bird in a little package they can be very affectionate and are funny little clowns. Mine decided she didn't like me though and most of the time bites me. Luckily its a little beak. I still love her though.

Conures can be very talkative (its not guaranteed though) and are cute little clowns. Their main difference is that they have longer tails than the african parrots listed. Conures come from South America and in the wild have completely diffent diets. In the home however they pretty much have the same diet, a little bit of seed, a little bit of pellets and lots and lots of healthy people food.

Cockatiels can be the cutest little birds and will usually show affection towards most people. They aren't known for being great talkers but they make great whistlers. Many will whistle words and songs.

Lorikeets and Ringnecks I am not too familiar with so I can't help you much there. But I'm sure someone will be able to help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 AM

Quakers are very loving and talkative little birds. To me , a quaker would be a good starter bird. They are really easy to care for and are a pretty hardy parrot. JUST MY OPINION!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 AM

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I think the birds you're considering would make great choices for what you're looking for. There are tons of birds out there and one that is right for what you want. It's a lot to consider and research but well worth it in the end!

Personally, I love the little conures as far as small birds go but some can be loud. There is a baby one at a breeder near my house and I just love him (but hubby says no more pets!) - he's so sweet and will cuddle up and fall asleep on your chest.

Tiels are good too but like Dena said, not known to be talkers.

Good luck in making your choice!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie450
Quakers are very loving and talkative little birds. To me , a quaker would be a good starter bird. They are really easy to care for and are a pretty hardy parrot. JUST MY OPINION!
I was going to mention Quakers but they are illegal to sell and own in NJ and I'm not sure about Georgia. I decided not to mention it because of the restrictions.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 PM

lovebird arent one parakeets cockteils will be dander and cause allergies , what you need is a oily kind of bird , heres some suggestions ,dusky headed conures ,blue crown conures fallow green cheek conure reg creen cheek conures , not to demanding on you and loves being by its self theses will not have any allergice reactions i know my husband is allergice to the parakeets but not our conures, noisy conures would be as fallowing sun jenday nanday they are very loud and demanding on youre time i know because we have 17 parakeets ,2 lovebirds and three dusky 1 nanday 1 fallow green cheek 1 reg green cheek ,1 sun conure and out of all the birds its a dusky headed who is more enjoyable and not so loud and loves to play good luck oh my husband is living with the parakeets due to i wont get ride of them its him or the birds and hes replaceable birds\ arent so he deals with it lol
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:04 PM

I have a Red Sided Eclectus (male). Ekkies are known to be fairly quiet and this is true with my baby boy for the most part. He does not scream repeatedly. He is very friendly and they are known for their talking ability. You always hear about the larger parrots, Amazons, Congo/Timneh African Grey, Cockatoo, Macaws; you hardly every hear about Ekkies. There are several sub-species of Eclectus; Solomon Island (smallest and know to be the sweetest), Grand, Red Sided, Aruensis Red Sided, Vos Marea (spelling). Go to www.eclectusville.com or www.landofvos.com
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:06 PM

Talking

A cockatiel is the most wonderful and affectionate bird you can get, they are not expensive at all and all the gear that goes with them are not expensive at all either, you can get a cage for $20.00 bucks, food for $8.00 bucks and toys for around $3.00 bucks, so if i was you, a cockatiel all the way, they are so great
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:48 PM

I have a fantastic lovebird. She is a bit noisy but she is beautiful, playful, and affectionate. She s very good with my five year old sister.

Tags
african grey, green cheek conure, local pet store, pet store, pet stores, separate cages, sun conure