Missing wing? Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Missing wing? Help!

Hey everybody. I bought a new parakeet recently and his wings were clipped before I bought him. It has been about 6 weeks or so since I got him... anyways, only ONE of his wings has grown in fully and the other still looks like it is at the stage of being clipped. I have another parakeet and have had several in the past and never noticed anything like this before. My question is... do you think that his wing will grow in fully or do I need to do something or what? Maybe the feathers just came off somehow? He is in a good environment and taken care of properly... Please let me know if anyone has ideas... I am concerned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 08:58 PM

it might take longer for one side to grow if i was you i would take it to the vet have the vet llook at the bird and see what he says , but again it might take longer because the one wing might have been trimmed to short and the other wasnt clipped enough , good luck but really theres nothing that can be done but have the vet look
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi! And first off, to PT!!!! It's nice to meet you.
I have 5 birds myself, 2 are parakeets. I agree with Sunshine, it's possible before you got your little guy, that side could've been clipped shorter, etc. I also think maybe it's possible the one side may just be taking a little longer to grow. Also, have you noticed him over-preening himself or any different behavior? And you don't see blood or anything in the cage, right? I would give your vet a call if you are still concerned!
We would all love to see pictures of your little guy, too!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Hmm...

Well I am not sure if I have noticed a lot of OVER preening because i've never really paid attention to how much preening they typically do...so hopefully it will start to grow in... or else i will have to take him to the vet...

Here is a picture of one of my parakeets... Not the one with the wing issue (obviously since he has flown up to the top of this door hehe)

http://snow.prohosting.com/jkepple/sunny4.jpg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 PM

Sorry, the pics didn't load.

I wouldn't be worried ... it is probably just taking a longer time ... just as the hairs on your head don't sprout evenly his wing may not have reached it's growth period. If it wasn't for their being clipped you probably never would have noticed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmmm nope I don't see the picture, either.
Keep us posted on your birdie!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:35 AM

I agree with everyone, it probably just isn't growing in as fast as the other side. I woke up one morning and my senegal parrot didn't have any tail feathers. At first I thought OMG he plucked them all out but I noticed he wasn't plucking at any other feathers. Finally, three months later he grew them back. He was quite a funny looking bird with no butt LOL!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey everybody, I just wanted to let you know that it looks like his wing is growing in now =). Thanks for all the replies.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Miss New Booty

That is great news!!!! I am so glad to hear it! Thanks for the update!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Princess in Waiting

Darn, I didn't get to get in on the first time I ever clipped my first African Gray's wings and she looked like she was wearing a bolero jacket for MONTHS. A bit short, I do believe!

I'm glad all came out okay.

BTW, Glad to meet you! I've been up, down, on, off - but I think you'll be seeing more of me now!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

LOL that would be a funny looking bird!!! I thought oh my gosh, wh en I saw the title of missing wing!!! I was l ike oh No!!! That ain't good. but boy was it a relief to find out that th e feathers were what was missin and that they grew back!!! When I first got Eli, he had been mi ssing tail feathers
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Princess in Waiting

As someone above said, birds' wings grow at weird rates when they are young. You'll have a perfectly beautiful wing with one LONG one going askew among them.

My mother has real issues with Frosty. His wings get the least bit uneven and she's at the vet paying $20 to have them trimmed. Ain't my money! Kinda bothers me that they (the vet's office) dremel the poor little thing's beak every time. He probably feels as though he's had a libotomy (Sp). We've had Henry 4 or 5 years and his has only been done a couple of times!

Keep on Flapping

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."