Mites?!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Mites?!?!

Ok, most of you know about Snowy's egg laying. Well right after I replied to Dena about it, she layed 2 eggs! Well, she stays at the bottom after she layes them and cracks them, etc. I noticed last week,she was at the bottom, chewing on her right foot. Brad and I checked her out and it was little raw, but nothing unusual. I read about egg binding and started freaking out, b/c one part said the egg could hit a nerve near the legs and could paralyze it. But she was using her leg fine and standing on the perch, she just keeps chewing at it?! So, I took her to the vet on Sat. I noticed when I was getting ready to take her, a couple feathers on her head were missing, too? He checked her out and he was puzzled. I have no new birds in the house, my other birds are fine, Casper especially, he is in the same cage. He is totally fine. He says she has the symptoms of mites, but don't know where she got it, and he did a skin scraping (on her foot) and it came back fine. She is chewing at her foot, and it's callused (sp?) and all over her beak is white stuff that she wipes from her little feet. He put medication on both feet, her beak and her head (where the feathers were missing) and gave me some antibiotic ointments for us to take home. She has been doing better, up on the perch more, but is still chewing at it. He wants to see us back in 2 weeks. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Brad throughouly cleaned the cage on Sat, and she was treated and he said just keep an eye on Casper. I don't know where i have heard this, but I was concerned bc I thought I have heard of birds chewing their claws off, is this so? We apply the meds once a day, and so far it looks ok, just a little callused.
Thanks guys!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:49 PM

If you give Snowy seed, they could have come in from the seed. I usually buy in bulk and freeze it to take care of anything like that. I take a little out at a time and refrigerate it. Freezing also helps to keep everything fresh I buy so much of it and it takes me forever to use up. I can't think of anywhere else it could have come from. Unless you were at store and rubbing all over other birds or you have a ton of mice coming in and out of your house, both seem to me to be unlikely.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Really Dena?!?! From the seed!! Hmmm it could be! I had no idea! I feed them seed, they are stubborn and don't want to switch to pellets Interesting, I should start freezing it! Yah, he also asked us if we handled birds at the petstore for example,and come home and handle our birdies without washing our hands, just like you said. Nope we don't do that! lol And nope, no mice running around! Very interesting Dena!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 10:53 PM

It is more likely to happen in open air containers that many stores have and I guess it is possible that it could happen in prepackaged seed. But that is the only logical and possible place I can think of. But if you freeze the seed you will pretty much kill everything it could contain. Many reptile owners will do this with sticks and rocks and things before they put it in the tank. Even if it was bought in a petstore many of the animals can come in with mites and just infect everthing around them. There is also boiling but that is not a good idea with the seed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This may sound silly, but it was what came to my mind...
Sometimes a very minor irritation - such as maybe what was bothering Snowy's foot - can cause them to "over-preen" or pick at that area, and develop a habit - almost a compulsion.
I think that is maybe where you heard about birds that actually engrain the habit so deeply they eventually mutilate themselves.
It doesn't sound like Snowy is anywhere remotely near that. Plus, the missing head feathers doesn't fit with the foot picking.

Wow- Jackie - it sounds like a puzzle. I hope Snowy is ok and starts to leave that foot alone I hope the medication works.

When you see her picking at her foot can you give her a favorite toy or something to distract her? Hrrrm, Just a thought...

[center]

[
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Dena.. I guess anything is possible huh. If anything weird or unusual happens, it's usually around here!
Well last night, Brad decided we should move Snowy back to her old cage! We cleaned it and moved them back in, lol, with lots of toys. We gave them a bath and Snowy seemed happier! She was on the perch (not the bottom) the whole night, slept up there and was up today. Then I walked by and she was biting her foot up on the perch *sigh* then a little while later back at the bottom.
Linda you are right though, when we distract her, have them outside, etc. she will stop doing it then. I go up and talk to her and she usually stops and comes to see me. We are putting the oinment on the vet gave us. I'm just really worried... I'm with my vet, it just seems so weird to be mites. I thought it was some kind of irratation, and the ointment is an antibiotic, and she got treated for mites there. I will keep ya'll posted, thanks guys!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 12-17-2003 at 12:38 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 08:39 AM

How's it going Jackie? I saw you got some good advice on LOT.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Hey Jodi..
Well this past week Snowy has seemed to be somewhat better, and up on the perch now more, and not chewing on her little claw as much. We have been putting on her antibiotic oinment as well 1x day. Yes, they gave me some great advice.. I think maybe the missing head feathers could be from some molting, b.c there are little hard ones growing back in so that could be all that is. And I know Casper isn't bothering her, he is the quietest little guy. But I have one other thing going on. I mentioned how she would chew her foot and then have this "pasty stuff" on her beak and my vet was puzzling about that as well. Brad was thinking last night when he gave her a bath, it almost looks like pasty seeds.. and wondered if she was regurgitating her food? We have never seen this, but since she lays eggs I was wondering if maybe she is doing that thinking she has babies, trying to feed them?? Everything around looks normal, droppings look fine. I am going back to the vet on Sat for the recheck and will call him tomorrow to let him know how she is doing. But overall, she is on the perch more and seems more happy and was chattering like normal the other day. Send me some good luck vibes at the vet! Thanks you guys!!!!

~* Jackie *~