Moths!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Moths!!!

Do any of my other bird buddies have trouble with these dreadful little moths that evidently come from their food? They are driving me crazy!! (not exactly a short trip.......) Bubba and I both walk around the house clapping our hands trying to kill them. I walked into my laundry room last night - warmest place in the house - and was surrounded by them in no time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you don't have any of these guys I'll be glad to send you some!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:26 AM

Don't you dare send me any!!! I've had my share....

The only way I've come up with is to buy food in smaller containers and storing sealed up tight. One time we bought bird food in this huge bag and it had moths before we even got 1/10 of the way thru it...

So anyway, we've been buying it in smaller bags and then putting it in an airtight plastic container. It helps but I've even gotten the moths from our hamster food! UGH! Since we've been using the containers though we only find occasional ones.

I believe we should be freezing our bird food for like 24 hours since it kills the meal moths then using it. Ummm, I just haven't done this yet

Hey, check out these links:
Moths in bird food

Ugh!

Elimination

Ok, after reading these articles I'm going to be freezing my bird food cuz this grosses me out!!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

I bought one of those things that vacuum seals the food - then freeze it in those! I buy food in big bags because it doesn't take Henry and Sweets long at all to go through a container of it.

I guess that's the one bad think about birds, huh?

Maybe if I would clean cages more often . . . . .which reminds me that they need to all be put out on the patio and scrubbed. Sounds like work to me!

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like I'm doing the same thing only different. Jade, if you get a box in the mail from me you'd better have it x-rayed before you open it!!

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crittercall
Jade, if you get a box in the mail from me you'd better have it x-rayed before you open it!!

I live closer Critter, should I make a visit to her new house with an old bag of food???!!??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:50 AM

Hey Critter, do you like the vacuum sealer thing?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

*cough* Jodi, you are officially not allowed to bring ANYTHING to dinner!

Critter -- watch it lady! I know where you live!

Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:01 AM

Do you eat bird food for dinner??!!??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Yes, I do like the vacuum sealer. And of course you can use it for a lot of things besides bird food - that was just my main reason for buying it. We'll go to Sam's and buy their pork chops or steaks or something that only comes in HUGE packages and re-package them and seal them. Keeps them a lot fresher!!

We won't tell Jade where they're coming from - let's keep her on her toes!!

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh yuck! I've had this happen too! Thankfully it's rare, but
Freezing the food like we all seem to do anyway is the only solution that I know of.

I brought home a bag of seed once years ago (I had a parakeet)- when I set it on my kitchen table and did the rest of my unpacking I thought I was seeing things. The bag was moving!
When I realized I wasn't seeing things and it really was moving - eeew! It was full of those mothy little creatures. I grabbed the bag, ran it back to the pet store and pitched a fit!
The guy actually took out a new bag, opened it in front of me and gave me double what I returned- for free.

Critter- my cages need cleaning too. It IS work!
The person who invents self-cleaning bird cages is going to get very rich

[center]

[
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Oh, wouldn't that be nice? Of course, it would destroy the "sculptures" that they work so hard on that are on the floor of their cages..........

Poor old Wallis with her one good eye loves to chase the moths around (she chases lizards too). Bubba hung up some kind of sticky strips today to see if that would get any of them; he said it was all over him and he was sticking to everything.

But it's one of those same old deals - can't spray for the moths because of the birds and yet you have the moths because of the birds.

Peanuts are bad carriers, too. I have the veggie drawer in my 'frig full of peanuts. When anyone comes over and looks in the 'frig I get a funny look - I tell them to help themselves!

And don't forget, Deja, if you do happen to get more moths we're saving them for Jade. I've watched enough Fear Factor that eating one of those little things would seem like cotton candy - they just kind of melt when you touch them!!

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Stephanie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Critter!!
They do just kind of melt into gross powder when you squish them!
We should package up a nice variety and send them to Joe Rogan - he could use them to weed out the wimps :rofl

My yard is filled with all kinds of interesting Mothras- I could pluck a few (with a ten foot pole of course) and save them for the collection just for Jade

Aren't some of those sculptures just amazing? Just how do they get them into that upside down ice cream cone shape anyway?

[center]

[
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

I know. They love to come in my bathroom and I've found out that damp hands make them easier to catch. And if they get stuck in the baby oil? You can hear "Taps" playing if you listen really hard!

CRITTERCALL

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:17 AM

OMG!

Ok, now I am grossed out too!

Tags
bird cage, hamster food, pet store