My Bird is making a weird noise, help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Question My Bird is making a weird noise, help!

It looks like she's vibrating, or purring, and she's clacking her beak together quickly to make the noise. I know shes not cold because she stops it whenever she wants. What does it mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Help, please!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:10 PM

Does she seem in distress??? Some birds grind their beaks to put themselves to sleep. Could it be that? I don't know...I think you should call a vet to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:07 PM

Birds clack their beaks when they are happy, content or sleepy. Your bird is fine.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie4
Birds clack their beaks when they are happy, content or sleepy. Your bird is fine.
Really? My grey doesn't "clack his beak."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Eli does the beak thing too, espeacially when we are playing lol.....we have little games that he plays. they are sooo much fun.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Must be a smaller bird thing. Or perhaps my bird is too busy talking all the time to do this LOL

What's the vibrating and purring?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Alika

It could be sexual behavior. My sennie kind of vibrates and purrs and clacks his beak when he solicits me (don't worry - I don't encourage it). Does she ever point her beak in the air and bob her head up and down (regurgitation behavior, even if she doesn't bring anything up)? Do you notice her feet getting hot very quickly? Does she ever sidle up to you and stick her butt in the air, keeping her tail flat?

Nothing is wrong with her, IMO... it sounds like she's just really really happy, or overstimulated, or sexually stimulated. If she was cold, she's be fluffing up and crouching down on her perch and keeping as still and expending as little energy as possible. (are you sure this is a 'she'?)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika

Nothing is wrong with her, IMO... it sounds like she's just really really happy, or overstimulated, or sexually stimulated. If she was cold, she's be fluffing up and crouching down on her perch and keeping as still and expending as little energy as possible. (are you sure this is a 'she'?)
The one and only time my bird was sick in 9 years, the only symptom we noticed was a popping sound. We actually thought it was a leg making the sound. Turns out it was his air sacs. They were filled with fluid and he was on his way to becoming ill.

When my grey is getting funky with my husband he makes grunting, funny noises so that could be her bird is "stimulated."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Alika

Yes, that's a good point. If it's more of a wheezing or popping sound that you can hear when she breathes and not a deliberate vocalization, it could be a respiratory infection... in which case, vet ASAP. But the way you're describing it, it sounds like a vocalization?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 11:37 PM

I have an 8 year old female Umbrella. She does this very same thing when she is sexually turned on. She will do all these things plus she will try to turn her rear end around and rub it on my T-shirt. When this happens, I move my hand from where I am petting her or if it gets too far, I put her on my shoulder or the back of the chair.

This is what my vet told me to do.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Well, I call it beak grinding, and my Hahn's and G2 do it usually when they are ready for bed.

Lu does the clicking (which IMO, is different from grinding) when he's in a good mood.

Jezebel doesn't do either one, well if she does, I never see it.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 07:33 AM

My budgie frequently grinds his beak as he's going to sleep. He also likes to 'cluck' while moving his head front to back.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Alika

I don't know... the description just doesn't sound like beak grinding to me...

I remember the first time Beeper did his little mating dance. I wanted to know what the odd sounds were, too. And that's exactly how I would have described it. When I read the description of the noise, I though "sexual behavior!".

Kissing a bird on the beak and petting it's back, touching it's vent, or rubbing under the wings can all stimulate this. Better to avoid doing all these things, and then ignore the behavior entirely and change the subject. It's not an appropriate thing for a bird to do to a human.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

hairface used to make that noise when he was feeding lucky-bucky regurgitated seed................................. isnt it like how they flirt? and princess my old cockatiel kinda did that too when she was preening skys feathers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!

Tags
respiratory infection