My friend needs birdy help... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Question My friend needs birdy help...

My friend has a Parakeet. He(The parakeet) is really shy and doesnt like to be held, When you try to he will bite you or run away from your hand. When you let him out of his cage he goes mad and hides behind the couch, tv, cabinets, ect. One time she got behind the cabinet and they couldnt get her out for the whole night. We arent sure how to train the bird. (Millimi this is the same kind of bird you have. [the blue one]I cant remember your birds name though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 03:14 PM

some birds just will NOT be handled. my parakeet will only come on my finger for a few seconds right before he goes to bed. it's just one of those things. if you do a search on google you can find some tips for hand taming, but none of them have worked for me so don't be dissapointed if it doesn't work for you either. good luck!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 PM

My parakeet took forever to get used to my finger (like 2-2.5 months). What helped me was to hold a small perch in my hand and get him to sit on that first. Since it was in his cage all the time he was less scared of that then of my finger. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Mills blue one is pony I believe. has your friend tho ught bout having his wings clipped?????? My parents have a parrakeet,t hat can fly now, but when they got him, he had landed at their feet outside, got out of someone's house. They had his wings clipped a couple of months later,a nd he became tamer. When they first got him, he would bang around the cage, if they even tried to p ut their hand into the cage at all. but now, he can fly again and he'll fly to their shoulders and stuff like that.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli
Mills blue one is pony I believe.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli
has your friend thought bout having his wings clipped?????? My parents have a parrakeet,t hat can fly now, but when they got him, he had landed at their feet outside, got out of someone's house. They had his wings clipped a couple of months later,a nd he became tamer. When they first got him, he would bang around the cage, if they even tried to p ut their hand into the cage at all. but now, he can fly again and he'll fly to their shoulders and stuff like that.
She has though about getting her birds wings clipped but has never got to it. (I keep reminding her but she never does it)

Thanks Everyone! I will tell her that clipping their wing will suposably help. Thanks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

any updates ?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I told her about it and she said she could tell her parents. I told her my brother could do it for free and she still has to tell her parents. (I hope she ACUALLY does this time!)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

have you gotten word f rom h er if she has or hasn't told her parents?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo1home
I told her about it and she said she could tell her parents. I told her my brother could do it for free and she still has to tell her parents. (I hope she ACUALLY does this time!)
yeah!! we all hope
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

She said she told her parents and that Azul (The bird) could come over for a visit sometime!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo1home
She said she told her parents and that Azul (The bird) could come over for a visit sometime!
yay for that
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

That is great news!!! does that mean they are goign to try out the clipping?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Azul is gong to come over next Saturday! My brother is going to clip Azul's wing then!