My new parakeets! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

My new parakeets!

:party: I am just thrilled. Today I finally got my dad to buy me the two new members of my family I've been wanting for awhile. We got a great cage, some nice toys, got all learned up and now we have them. I've only named one, and that's the larger one of the two. She (I think!) is alll yellow with red eyes and two white patches on either side of her face. She was very active in her bring-home box, but much to my surprise she trusts me enough to hop on my finger and move around next to me after only 3 hours. The other is just a bit smaller and I think he might be a.. well, he. He has a bit of blue tint to his cere, but I can't be sure right now. he's mostly white, but has a dark blue back and light blue tummy. His wings are white with black spots peppered over them. They're getting along really nicely and slowly learning the eating bowl. They've both very friendly. The male, nameless as of yet, is a bit more wary of me, but now he doesn't fling himself away, he lets me touch him but hasn't learned to get my finger. That's just fine, as I heard it could take a few days. I was so surprised when Ooblar "liked" me so fast.

I'll have pictures up Sunday night, I don't have my digital right now But oh well. So happpyy! Any advice you can give me, being a first time birdy mom? Or maybe.. name suggestions for the boy(?)? I was thinking.. Zeke. Or Mr.Clean. I'm not weird with names, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 06:30 PM

The yellow one you have is like the one I have. They're called Lutinos and you can't tell what breed they are unless you do DNA sexing. Lutinos are a sort of albinos, so they are lacking pigment, and the cere color is not accurate for the gender.

It's funny how your yellow budgie is bigger than the blue one. I have a little blue one and a bigger yellow one. My blue one also has a lot of white on him. Can't wait to see pics and I hope this info helps!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I actually did read on last night to figure out that the yellows were a type of "albino," but oh well, I'll love my little Ooblar no matter what. She's already my lovey bird - she's been walking around with me all day. The blue on the other hand, who I'm just calling.. Blue is still a bit afraid of me, but I'm working on it. He'll get on my finger, but he's still not letting me take him out.

I was worried for a bit, as I didn't see them eat yet, but I figured they were just getting used to home, because now they're eating together and playing with their new toys. Blue was playing with a little spinny toy earlier and stepped on it. he rolled up side down and he seemed a bit frightened. He's okay now though and just bites the end of it to make it turn.

Also, I had a question. The pet store people loaded me with stuff, and I noticed a thing called a small bird pacifier.. but it's a little ball with really tough.. hair stringing down from it. I was wondering what this did? they don't seem too interested in it..

Last edited by Phoebe'sBean; 08-21-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:13 PM

Congrats on your new pets, and I am glad the She already has adjusted to you!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:14 PM

It's probably just another toy. The pet store usually tries to get you to buy as much stuff as possible so they earn money. That might not be the case with yours.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about Blue yet. My birds are non trained pet store birds that will hop on my finger if they feel like and be taken out of the cage when they feel like it. Blue might not like being handled, maybe that is his personality, who knows. Keep up the good work though.

As for name suggestions, if you're still up for them, I have some...Akila, Koru, Shane, and Cola. That's the best I can do.
Can't wait for pics!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:23 PM

I've thought of another name. This one seems more formal but I love it. Dante's Inferno! Isn't that such a cool name? Well, maybe not for a budgie...who knows, it would be cool!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks capn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
It's probably just another toy. The pet store usually tries to get you to buy as much stuff as possible so they earn money. That might not be the case with yours.
I think it might be. And boy they did. It's a private owned pet store - not really a big corporation and their birds in are really nice health, so I felt good buying from them. I go just to visit to this place almost weekly. But the birds were about 12 dollars each, but we ended up paying 140.00 all together. -- my dad

But all in all, I'm happy with what we got. They're doing well. Oh, and one more question : They gave me these little.. seed stick deals called.. mullets, I think? I was wondering what those were and.. how exactly to put them in the cage. Lay them on the ground, hang them, break them up? There are no instructions on the bag!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Ah, and those are neat names I'm adding them to my list. My brother just added.. Puff Daddy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 08:22 PM

Puff Daddy!!! If he puffs up a lot, it might just work!

I've never heard of mullets, I though they were hair styles. Did you mean millet? Those are seed sticks that you can attach inside the cage near a perch with a clothes pin or the likes. It's a yummy treat that budgies love!
Another name Phantom Flyer. It sounds cool,and no, I am not weird!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

PICTURE TIME! And my brother decided on a name - Gary. (The snail from spongebob?) Haha, my poor birdies. Atleast they don't have to go to highschool, get teased

The yellow is ooblar, the white/blue is Gary, and the dog is my Phoebe, checking them out. They're away from her now - dog food for dinner, Phoebs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ooblar1.JPG (12.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg gary1.JPG (8.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg ARSTR2.jpeg (33.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Phoebe'sBean; 08-22-2004 at 09:11 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

Awww, they're so cute! Congrats!
~Jenn
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:58 PM

Their cute!! Congratulations!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:40 PM

They're cute! Ooblar looks almost exactly like my Ponyboy! And the cage you have is almost the same as mine. Weird, huh?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe'sBean
Blue is still a bit afraid of me, but I'm working on it. He'll get on my finger, but he's still not letting me take him out.
Don't worry about that. Beekle flies to me and hops onto my fingers and will spend hours (if I can stand it) play fighting with my thumb.

In his cage is a different matter though. He will only occasionally stand on my finger (and usually only with one foot) and if I pull him toward the door he hops off.

Tags
black spots, dog food, pet store, red eyes