The name game ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Cool The name game ...

Somehow, I managed to forget to answer Critter's question about Eephus' name. CRS syndrome

My hubby gets the credit for the name - I'm awful at coming up with names We're both huge baseball fans, and there's a pitch some of the pitchers use that's described as "a high arcing lob" - and it's nearly impossible to hit. Rod Sewell was the first to throw it in the 1940's, and one of his teammates dubbed it "The Eephus Pitch". I never would have thought of using it as a name ... His first owner named him "Blue", the same name as my bosses B&G, so while he was up there at the pet shop, he was called "The other Blue" I think Eephus suits him

Anyone else have any good "name stories" ??

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I thought you were just ignoring me. ... . .. interesting name, and I surely would never have guessed it!

I'm slow with naming animals and have to change them sometimes two or three times. So when I had a conure Bubba and Erin told me that whatever I named him first was gonna be the only name he could have. He was Ezra. "Henry" just seemed to fit, and he responded well to it. "Frosty" is a little too obvious with the white bird. "Pip" is from the little pipping sounds he makes all the time. "Mojo" is sometimes "Moji" and it just came out one day.

I think the 'coon's name is Katie Coon - or was until she showed signs this morning that she is a he.. . . . .

My Congo was pulled from the nest and I get to go see them this weekend. At the age where they are normally eating 12 cc's of food this clutch is eating 22 cc's! Big guys! I still think I'm going to honor my friend and call him Captain Sweets.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:03 PM

I'm going to have a namesake! Sometimes naming our pets somes easy, our first hamster Lil' Snugger, she answered to the name but for the first few months until I tamed her was anything BUT snuggy.
#1 Stunner(hamster) got named because ray likes to think he is like a white rapper or something...but ti somehow fit him.

Baby Girl(cat) is just what we ended up cooing at her all the time when we got her, but after some poop Ray started calling her Stink butt, she actually comes to either.

Smitty was Ray's dad's namesake cat, such a snuggy funny guy.

Smeagol is a rip off from LOTR that thing that said he was "looking for the preciousssssssssssssssssss" and was about to turn on Frodo.

I don't have any birds to name though because I am allergic to feathers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

If I told the stories of how all of my animals were named I would be sitting here for a few hours and taking up too much space here.

I'm definitely addicted to your bird pictures! He's so pretty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Not nearly as long as it would take Erin!!

CRITTERCALL

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Well, since one of my dogs died and I also sold a chinchilla, I'm down to 13 pets.......uh, oh, 13 is an unlucky number so I need to get another pet!

If I added up all of the animals I've had in my lifetime, I would probably be in the top 5 most animals owned category!

Rhonda

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I sure hope Erin has something to add here ... can you imagine having to come up with all those names ? Sheeesh !

My Elizabeth (Boy do i get laughed at about her name - but I love it) was named after royalty. LOL A dear friend of mine's BF found her and 3 littermates under an old trailer that was being removed from the trailer court we lived in. He hated cats, but saved them all anyhow, and named them Arthur, Henry, George and - Elizabeth. Arthur died , George ended up being Georgia, Henry stayed Henry ... and Elizabeth is usually "Lizzie". Imagine, a trailer-trash kitty being named after royalty...heeheee (no offense to anyone that lives in a trailer, I did myself for 5 years)

Scarlette - pick at least one story and tell it - pleeeeeease ??

Sharon
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I'm with ya on that one, Sharon. My first cat (that was my very own!) was attained shortly after the "famous" picture of Princess Di sticking the end of her pinky into the mouth of the baby Prince William to keep him content. In order to keep the kitten quiet on the way home I let him nurse on my finger and he became William.

"Wallis" - who is female, btw - is named after Wallis Simpson, the woman who changed English history forever when her husband abdicated the throne in order to marry her. The breeder wanted all "W" names for the litter and I've always had a fascination with British history so that seemed natural!

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Erin

a little bird told me you all were talkin' about me! So you REALLLLY want my list, eh?

The cats:
Sylvester was named because of my obsession with the Warner Brother's character at the time we brought him home.

Muffin came from the petsmart rescue program, her name was Peaches, which evolved to Peaches Muffin, and now to Muffin. She seems to like it.

Vixen was named by her previous owners

Sh**tyKitty also came from petsmart, she was named Hope, but we didn't like it. We decided on KittyKitty, but she had diahrea for 2 weeks after we got her home and well... there ya go.

Dogs:
Lucky was named because I didn't know WHAT to name her. The rescue we got her from said she was dumped there with her brothers and sisters, she was 4 weeks old when we brought her home. She's just Lucky she's alive!

Sparky was named by the shelter he was at for a year and a half, he knows his name so we kept it.

Gerbils:
Mouse got his name because I wanted odd names. He and his brother were named Cat and Mouse, Cat fell victim to my brother not closing the lid all the way while I was on vacation, a cat killed him.

Skunk because he's black and white and looks skunkish

Scout because he looked like he was dressed up in a boy scout uniform(ok I'm nuts)

Squeekers because he wouldn't stop squeeking when I first brought him home. He was a little frightened of the others.

SamStubs because he had no tail.

Magic because eventually he'll morph into a darker brown color like Magic. And I didn't want Mouse to be the only one without an "S" name.

Guinea Pigs:
Carmelita I didn't know what to name her. She looked like one of those carmel bullseye candies, but didn't want to name her carmel or bullseye. So it became Carmelita. I didn't like it for the longest time and always wanted to change it.

Galaxie she's all black, some sort of space theme for her I suppose.

Oreo, mom named her because she was black and white. I was going to name her Pixie

Jillian, she was the runt, i thought jillian was a 'delicate' name for her.

Charlene, she's got the messy abby hair and I named her after my grandma who always had bedhead

Faith and Angel, came together from a family who no longer gave them the time of day. I didn't know what they had them named, but someone on my yahoo email list named them.

Raven, she's all black and she bites like a mean ol' bird!

Hannah, I wanted to name one of Galaxie's babies Hannah, so I saved the name for one of Raven's babies.

Fudge, my mom named him after superfudge. I was going to name him Smore's. I'm glad she won that one, he fits it well.

Lucy, she's a red head. I liked the name from ShariP's Lucy pig.

Daisy and Lilly, both Hollister pigs(www.cavyspirit.com/hollister.htm), Daisy was originally going to be my only pig to come to me and I named her because she looks like a daisy(her white back) planted in dirt(her brown head). Lilly got her name just to match the flower theme because they are sisters. Lilly was supposed to go to another person in Ohio, but then couldn't afford the adoption fee, so I took her too.

Sparky was named by his previous owner where he was born unexpectedly from a pig the lady had bought froma breeder.

Sunny was originally named Hannah, she was supposed to just be here on a temp basis until her owner could get her life together, but she wound up staying. Since I have a hannah already, I named her Sunny since she's always happy and she's the color of sunshine.

Little pig, she was a pain in the butt to name, I was clueless. While the search for a good name for her was on, I called her Little Pig and it stuck.

Ruby, her original name was Rudina and I didn't like it. She's got red eyes, and a nice orange blotch on her nose, so I morphed it to Ruby.

Patches, he got his name because he had patches of bald skin on him when I got him. He had mites really bad and hairloss on most of his underside and starting up his side.

Chloe was previously named, she came from the same place as sunny but had been adopted out after her first owner left her here.

Lila was originally named Paprika, also came from where Sunny and Chloe did. She was adopted out with Chloe and Lila is the name that her adopter gave her. The adopter had some family problems and decided it best for her to bring them back to me. I kept her second name.

Oliver, I picked his name out of a baby book. I think it's a cute piggie name.

Scarlette also came out of the baby book and Lilygrace picked it out of a list of girl names I had picked from the book.

Rover was originally named Thunder at the rescue he came from, I liked Thunder, but I also thought it would be nice to have a Sparky and a Rover, the dog name theme. lol.

SOME of the fish:
Monster is a huge goldfish that inhales feeder guppies.

Vixen is a calico fan tail goldfish that my mom named b/c it looks like our cat in a fish costume

Marbles, a betta that looks like a fancy marble.

Frosty, he's a really cool green/white pearly color Betta. Reminded me of frosting.

Romeo: all red betta.

Max: betta who got himself named Max for really no specific reason.

The other 4 betta's, 4 rosey barbs, 2 pleco's and the fancy guppy don't have names.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Erin

and I won't go near the deceased or animals that were adopted out.

I've had gerbils since I was 9 years old, and have always had more than one. And one accidental male/female pair I had gotten had 47 babies over their time together which as a young girl I named them all before they were sent away to new homes.

We've had two dogs die, although both were named sparky. 2 cats die, and 1 guinea pig pass. I don't recall how many gerbils or fish, lol.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:56 PM

Wow Erin!!! I'm impressed that you can remember the explanation for each one!

Sharon, I love the story of Eephus!

I don't have a good story for Toby's name.

Snooper (YorkiePoo) - Because she's so **** nosy.

Bach - Since he was a German Shepherd we wanted a german name and Bach was easy to yell/call.

See, my name stories just aren't all that interesting !! LOL
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Erin

I also tend to remember dates I had gotten the pigs very well, or the dates they were born, or both....

I wish I could remember school studies as well

Tags
adoption fee, german shepherd, guinea pig, pet shop, red eyes