Need help weaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need help weaning

I need help with my cockateil. I have slowly reduced the amount of formula given consistently over a 2 week period and stopped feeding formula.

My teil is 7 months old and was not weaned prior to my adopting him! I am so agrivated!!!!!!

Anyways - he only wants to eat millet and will eat a full twig in one day. I have temporarily removed the millet and given babyfood sweetpotatoes and Kaytee Exact Conversion and Weaning food mixed together for the evening meal. He wants no part of it, neither from the bowl or my hand. I even tried to handfeed by holding him like I did with the syringe.

I was not real concerned tonight because of the millet being in there all day. He will set on the food dish containing seed but only seems to nibble on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Have you tried warm mushy foods like sweet taters (mashed) or pasta? That might entice him enough. A tiel should be weaned by the age your baby is. And your right, millet is not a good diet. A lot of tiels would love to live on it, but it's like us humans living on potato chips, ya know?

Try tons of different foods,he may not be interested at first but you just have to keep trying. Act goofy and like the food is the best thing in the world. Let him see you trying the food, then offer some off the spoon.

Try mashing some sweet taters, add a little cinnamon and just a touch of Country Crock/I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

Good luck !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 PM

Would you know what good veggies and different foods to give my budgies? I've tried parsley and thawed frozen veggies like carrots, corn and beans. They didn't do anything with the veggies but Arianna loved the parsley.

Has anyone heard anything about hanging eucoliptus(sp?) leaves with budgies? I am thinking of trying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Brenda,
Here are some good veggies to try:
Asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, corn, cucumber, kale, peas, peppers, potato, pumpkin, spinach, sprouts, squash, tomato & zucchini.

Here are some good fruits to try:
Apple, banana, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries (without the pit), coconut, grapefruit, kiwi, melons, mango, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, pineapple, plums, raspberries & strawberries.

As far as other foods to try...
Pasta, beans (cooked), sweet potato, brown or wild rice, eggs - scrambled or hard boiled and be sure to give the shell of the egg (just break it into as tiny as pieces as you can) if you scramble the eggs...the extra calcium is good for them.

Generally, if the food is nutritious & wholesome for you, it is safe to feed your fid. Some fids have differnet diet requirements and with a budgie you don't want to over do nuts, they don't have the high fat requirements that macaws do.

I stay away from peanuts because they have a high level of mold. I also don't feed iceberg lettuce or celery as they don't provide a lot of nutirition.

One very popular meal with Toby is my Birdie Burrito.
We use soft and hard corn tortillas and stuff them with all kinds of good foods. It could be a veggie mix (if you mix in a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese and zap it in the microwave the cheese will help the veggies stick together). Or pasta burritos or fruit burritos or ..... The other day I put a light coating of all natural (no sugar) peanut butter on the soft shell and sprinkled chopped nuts and celery folded it in half and cut it into 4 pieces, he went crazy for it! The possiblities are endless!

I think I rambled again but I hope it helped.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 PM

Do you have any advice on how to get a bird to first try food? My budgie just ignores anything that isnt familiar if I put it in his cup and if I hold it in my fingers he steps up instead