Nervous bird? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nervous bird?

I've had my Africian Grey for about 6 years now and a lot of time when I'm holding her or put her on an outside perch, she shakes as if she is nervous. Is this a sign of being happy engery or is she nervous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Curmudgeon

There are numerous reasons that can cause a bird to "shiver". Also, some bird species are much more prone to it than others. Greys are one of those species. If the ambient temperature is not too cold, and you are sure she does not have a neurological problem, it's probably just a sign that she is not entirely comfortable with the situation.

You can try to make the circumstance more comfortable for her (mine appreciates the occasional sunflower seed) and increase the number of times outside of the cage, as well as the total amount of time she spends out of the cage and on your hand (or on the perch).

Look around and see if there are other factors that can be contributing to her nervousness, ...other pets, sudden or strange noises, people she is not comfortable with, etc. It may be something you are doing unconsciously. See if she likes being held closer to your body, ...or maybe farther away. Try holding her on the left hand, or the right hand. Make sure she is always facing the direction you are going, (...although I once had a falcon that preferred to be carried backwards!)

It may be that she never gets completely comfortable with some things. Don't give up holding her or introducing her to new things. Just pace yourself, and try to help her feel secure about the situation when you can.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
africian grey