Never had a bird before, have the opportunity to rescue one - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Never had a bird before, have the opportunity to rescue one

Hello all!

I usually stay in the Degu forum, but need to pop in over here for a bit of an education.

I've never had a bird before, but have babysat 2 different Cockatiels, and really enjoyed them.

I have the opportunity to rescue a Blue Fronted Amazon parrot from an older gentleman who is in a nursing home and won't be getting out. The parrot is 4 years old, and I am trying to find as much info as I can about what kind of care these guys need. If I do accept the bird, I want to take good care of him (or her). I don't want to just have a bird in a cage that I throw seeds at - I want to do it right.

I've read a bit about them so far, but am just interested in maybe links to the very best Parrot websites - maybe even a book, for a beginner to be able to decide if I can take proper care of this bird.

Thank you! I am very excited at the prospect of maybe getting a bird, but I want to make sure that I make a decision that's best for this bird. He (or she) doesn't need to be displaced more than absolutely necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Comfort if you've lost a pet, or are facing a loss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I don't know much about birds. But Ive always wanted one. I know parrots can live a long time., And they can be very attached to there owner, so you'll prolly have to spend a lot of extra time bonding with it in the beginning. Ive heard stories about people getting birds than having to return them because they were so attached to there previous owner.. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just something you might want to look into a bit. I'm sure someone that knows a great deal more about birds will come give you some better advice

My Furry Family
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Since your post was a while ago I thought I would ask if you are still looking for some websites regarding bird info? If so I'll send you some links