New bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

New bird

My husband brought home a cockatiel today from the animal shelter.No back ground on him. He was found in town in some trees and no one has claimed him.

We had parakeets 20 years ago and I don't know a whole lot about cockatiels.
He whistles a tune that I can't place. Someone must have worked with him?

Anyway I will have a lot of questions to ask....

My husband named him Floyd. He is a sweet guy. The bird I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 12:44 PM

Congrats on your new birds. Cockatiels that have are already been worked with are godsends! Becuase they are considered a cheaper, smaller bird they kind of get forgotten when it comes to handling them so your pretty lucky (these are the ones that I have seen in pet stores and bird stores, I am sure breeders are different)

Good luck with him!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Today Floyd was squawking quite loudly so my daughter threw a blanket over his cage and he said plain as day "pretty bird". So she took the blanket off and tried it again. He said it again!

Any idea how old he could be? I always thought they had to be older to talk.

I can't wait until something else triggers him to say something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 03:08 PM

My parent's caught a cockatiel outside when I was about 3 or 4 and he talked up a storm, everything frome pretty bird to "f" you (not very nice but funny) and even a few tunes. They still have him 20 years later! Try putting him in front of a mirror, our bird LOVES to talk and sing to himself, but if we leave the mirror in the cage with him he gets mean... It's kind of like I have a friend I don't need you anymore
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 04:46 PM

Congrats on your new bird!

I don't know much about cockatiels so I won't be much help to ya...but I look forward to seeing Floyd's picture.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Can you post a picture of him? Usually you can get some sort of idea about age by their feet and beaks. If his feet are light colored he is probably still kind of young.

My daughter's 'tiel is talking and is less than a year old, so we can't go by that!

Keep handling him! Try not to imitate his whistle, because that makes them more inclined to whistle instead of talk. (That's hard because they are contagious when they whistle!)

Sounds like fun. Hope you enjoy him. They are fun birds to have around.

What color is he?

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:22 AM

I personally don't like using mirrors with birds. If he is sweet with you then he has started to bond with you. An image in a mirror can mean a potential mate so either they will try to kill it or love it. If he ends up loving it then he wont bond with you, just like what happens with Becki's parents bird.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:28 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I don't know how the little guys react to a bath, but I know that most bigger birds (Eeph included) get really silly - talking and hollering up a storm afterwards. Eephus also talks quite a bit when I put music on for him.

Cockatiels seem like so much fun - I'd like to have one myself !

Sharon
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Princess in Waiting

I agree with Dena about the mirrors. They "fall in love" with the other bird in the cage with them (don't know it is themselves!) and are very aggressive toward you then. It's kind of like trying to make a pet out of a breeding bird!

The big birds do love their baths normally. Henry claims he's not dirty and will run even when we just mist him with a spray bottle.
Capn will get put into the sink sometime this week - haven't been up to it this week.

Frosty, the 'tiel I raised for Mom and Dad, takes sink baths and just loves them.

Does your bird sing and talk to you when you run water?

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure of the correct color type. More of a gray. I'm going to try and post a picture of him.

I ran water and he never made a peep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floyd 1.jpg (39.5 KB, 111 views)
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Here is another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0011.jpg (29.7 KB, 111 views)
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:36 PM

He's beautiful!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Princess in Waiting

Looks like a pied gray to me - but I am certainly open to correction! The bright orange cheeks would indicate male, and the white coloring in his wings are what show the "pied" part. (I don't know where that came from!!) His feet are rather a light color, which would indicate youth - but I'm not sure at what age they change. If you can find a good bird store or a good book on 'tiels I'm sure you could learn a lot more.

He's very pretty and looks well taken care of. Evidently flew the coop somewhere else and you ended up with him!! You are very lucky!

(BTW, your bra strap is showing - but don't mind me, I just say stuff like that!!!!) Nice ring, too!

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 PM

Aww, he's very pretty! I agree with Critter, he looks very healthy!
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

He is such a curious guy. Watches everything I do and was very interested in my dinner last night. I think he would of sat on my plate if I let him!

The lady at the shelter told us to use gloves when we handle him but we have not at all. He just jumps on our fingers and then up to our shouders. The lady also just grabbed him with her gloved hand and held him that way and he did indeed peck at her that way. Maybe the glove scared him? Should we be using gloves?

Any suggestions for a good 'tiel book?

About my bra strap....... my daughter said I shouldn't post that picture of my bra strap! That's too funny!

Tags
animal shelter, bird cage, bird toys, breeding pair, doing fine, pet store, pet stores, pet supply store, vet visit, vet visits, water bowl