New bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Question New bird

I have a budgie named Skyler and a couple days ago introduced a healthy new budgie named Kiwi. Kiwi will not let Skyler play with him or anything and keeps jumping/flying away. Is it because Kiwi is new and afraid, or is it a bad match? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Curmudgeon

A couple of days is not very long for an introduction. Depending on how old Skylar is, how long he has been alone, it could be awhile before he accepts another bird. It's even possible that they may never get along, but I've never seen a Budgie hold out for more than a couple of months. A couple of weeks is more likely. Just make sure that they aren't trying to hurt one another. Eventually they'll get more comfortable with one another.

If you already have them together full time, you might want to make sure that there are at least a couple of food bowls and water bowls. That way one bird cannot keep the other from eating or drinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Kiwi is being more "tolerant". Skyler is being less annoying. It's still not perfect but they never fought and seem to be getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Soda and Pony were introduced in one day, I know, bad idea. It took them about six months to get into a total lovey relationship although they were preening and kissing each other within a month. Good luck.

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, water bowl