New Parrot Mommy HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

New Parrot Mommy HELP

hahahhaa
Hi everyone!!
Sunday I will be a parrot mommy for the first time...I am getting a Senegal Parrot....she is 2 years old ....
any good "NEW" mom advice ?? some of the "MUST KNOW" things??
and thanks
Lexy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:01 AM

Smile

Congratulations on your new fid, SouthernGirl! I have 6 parrots and one of them is a DNA sexed male senegal. In my experience, senegals tend to be very strong willed and often bond to one person in the family. (Ours only allows my 18 year old daughter to care for him, even though we have had him since he was just weaned) Harley is very loving to my daugher and calls out "I love you, baby boy" as soon as he hears her voice. We had decided to let his wings grow and to allow him to be free flighted about few months ago, but he soon became a little tyrant and began to dominate everyone in the house! He looked down from his play stand at us in disdain as if we were inferior beings because we could not fly. He began to bite everyone, including my daughter. We began asking advice from other senegal parronts and they told us of similar experiences and advised a wing clip. It made all the difference in the world when he realized that his human family was a bit more important in his life than he thought! lol You will have to decide for yourself if you want your fid to be free flighted. To clip or not to clip is a much debated issue!

As far a food, we feed Harley and all our fids, a premium pelleted food. There are several on the market, but we feed our parrots Harrison's pellets. We also give everyone a good assortment of fresh and frozen vegetables once a day. We offer fruits in small quantities such a apples, oranges and bananas. (no apple seeds!)
In the evenings, they all get a parrot treat mix called Tropi mix (contains nuts fried fruits and pellets) and a small amount of a good seed mix. We usually offer any human quality food in small amounts if it is good for us...no sugar or high sodium foods
(junk food) There are several foods that are a no no....onions, cafeine, chocolate, avocado are a few! Harley is our biggest eater and devours more than even my grey babies!

Be extremely careful when using any sprays or chemicals in your fids proximity and also of cooking fumes. Any Teflon when heated at high temps is fatal to birds. Their bones are hollow and anything that they inhale goes directly into their system.

Love your fid and give him/her the same affection as you would any furry animal. Parrots are extremely intelligent. (I don't know how much experience you have with companion birds, but you will be astounded at your fids abilities!) Parrots need attention, love and toys to occupy their minds just as a human baby. They love to chew, so toys made of wood are especially apprecated. Always buy bird safe toys and even if a toy is made for a parrot, you have to look at it closely and determine if it looks like it would be safe for your baby. Parrots are curious and are constantly looking for things in which they can get into trouble, so never leave your fid out of the cage and unattended. Our world is a death trap to a curious bird....open toilets, a pot of boiling water and poisonous plants are just a few!

A parrot is really like a spoiled child and even the most loving and cared for fid will occasionally give a nip if they don't get their way. My male grey will always give my hand a little bite when I put him back in his cage, as if to say, "bad hand...I don't want to get back in my cage!"

Your bird, being a little more mature, will probably need some time to settle in and get to know his new surroundings and family. Just ba patient and you will win his trust and love quickly. (providing he has come from a loving home)

Parrots need sleep just like all us humans. Cover the cage in the evenings and allow him get a good 10 hours of night time.
(would be nice if us humans could do the same) lol

Again, congratulations on your fid. He will give you many years of fun, companionship and laughter and they are well worth the mess they make! lol

I would advise you to buy a good book on parrots and just seek information from others if you need help. I've had birds since the year you were born and I still find that I need to ask questions every now and then!

I am also a girl in the south. (Georgia)
~Kathy~
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

WOWOW thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much for the post
I do have a good book and such so I will read it as I go along.......
I'll be hanging around here too.......
hugz
Lexy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Alika

Congrats!

I have 3 in my flock - a sennie, amazon and tiel. Sennies are fun. Mine is 8-years-old and rescued. He has a lot of attitude, but with that comes a lot of personality. What Kathy said about bonding is very true. Mine is bonded to me, and would chase and attack my husband for a long time. With patience and retraining, we've managed to overcome this obstacle, and my sennie is my favorite of my birds.

My advice is to read read read! You can't read enough! I like "Guide to the Senegal Parrot and Family" by Mattie Sue Athan for my sennie. "Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot" and "Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior", "Birds off the Perch" and "Birds for Dummies" are also great books. If you're interested in training your bird, "Clicker Training for Birds" by Melinda Johnson is great.

Also, if you haven't already done it, make sure you find a great avian vet in your area and get him/her in for a first checkup. Besides ensuring the overall health of the bird, it will give your vet a chance to get to know you and your bird so that if an emergency ever does happen, there will be less catching up to do. It's important that you get an avian vet, and not just a regular cat and dog vet. Birds are build differently than mammals, and I have personally had some bad experiences with cat/dog vets claiming to be great with birds as well. If you can find someone who is an AAV (Association of Avian Veterinarians) member, then that's perfect!

You chose a great species for a first bird! I hope everything works out great for you!

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:15 PM

Thanks fpr adding that Alika! Absolutly.....a certified Avian vet is necessary! I had at least two bad experiences with dog/cat vets until I learned my lesson. I would recommend that you purchase a good carrier and a portable perch to take along to the vet....I don't know if I am being too protective, but I don't like my birds to sit on the same perch as other birds have.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the great posts!!
Hugz
lexy
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:39 AM

you've been given great advice, so all i can add is... lots of pics please
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks again friends!!
today is the day Rosie comes to live with me.....I was wrong on her age , she is one not two so about the same I'd say....
can someone ( I know the man that is bringing her will give me a list but I'd like info from you folks too ) tell me what is good as far as Veggies and Fruits??
thanks in advance
Lexy
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:12 PM

I know you're bringing home a Sennie but here's a page I have for macaws diet.
http://www.parrottimes.com/diet.html

Apple, banana, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries (without the pit), coconut, grapefruit, kiwi, melons, mango, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, pineapple, plums, raspberries & strawberries.
Asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, corn cucumber, kale, peas, peppers, potato, pumpkin, spinach, sprouts, squash, tomato & zucchini
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

oh thanks again friends!!
one last question, dont laugh.....on veggies and such, is there anything that should be cooked? or do I give everything raw?
hugz
Lexy
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Alika

The best veggies are dark green, orange, and yellow. Absolutely no avocado or onion... and I think I read somewhere that eggplant isn't good, either... but everything else is fair game! Some are better than others. Corn, for example, is very hard to digest and isn't the greatest. Most fruits, like apples, are mostly sugar and water and should be given in moderation. Citrus fruits should only be given 2 or 3 times a week because of the acidity and also because citrus can bind calcium.

Veggies that my birds have eaten include: green beans (great!), brocolli, peas (also great!), yellow squash, parsnip, carrots, butternut squash (great!), bell peppers, alfalfa sprouts, dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens...

Fruits that they have eaten include: apples, oranges, grapefruit, pears, mango (though they don't like it much for some reason), papaya, fig, kiwi, banana, grapes (a favorite)...

The most nutritious fruits are papaya and fig - they're very high in calcium.

You should also offer grains and some meats, though not as often as your veggies (say 3-4x week). Wheat grains are better than whites - rice, bread, and pasta. My birds LOVE LOVE LOVE pasta! Give it plain (without sauce) and cooked. If you offer meats, only offer lean meats in moderation and make sure it's thouroughly cooked. Give a cooked egg with crushed shell 2-3 times a month for calcium and protein. I usually just boil an egg, then run it under cold water and smash the entire thing up really good with a fork, then divide it between my 3 birds.

Occassional nuts and seeds are good as treats, but not until your sennie is eating pellets really well. Peanuts are usually not recommended, because of the aflotoxins found in rancid peanut oil. Peanut butter is safe, but VERY fattening. I like to give my birds almonds and pistaccios. Sunflower seeds once in awhile don't hurt, either.

What kind of pellets will you be using?

The way I manage my birds' diets is this (everyone does something different, and you'll probably devise your own method)

I try to give a variety of 3-4 fruits/veggies in the morning for breakfast. In the evening, grains and meats are generally offered for dinner. Pellets are available all day, and the birds will generally snack on them. They all get a nut right before bed. It keeps them quiet when the lights go off (I live in an apartment complex). Since I train my birds, they get seeds, almonds, peanut butter, and other fattening foods mostly as reinforcers - in very very small amounts.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Alika; 12-04-2004 at 06:53 PM.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika
Peanut butter is safe, but VERY fattening.
I would suggest a *natural* peanut butter. It's much better for our fids compared to regular peanut butter.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Alika

Yes, that's very true.

I would say don't use it at all unless you have a bird like a macaw or a CAG with higher fat requirements. The only reason I use it is because it makes a great reinforcer for Beeper when I'm working him. He doesn't get it any other time.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM

What kind is natural? Is this good for keets and tiels too?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Alika

Keets and tiels are prone to obesity. I don't give my tiel any peanut butter at all. The only one of my fids who gets it is Beep, and that's because he's willing to work for it

Natural peanut butter has no added salt or sugar. It's kind of bland, but it's better for you. I don't know of any brands off the top of my head... but if you look for it hard enough, you'll find it.

Last edited by Alika; 12-04-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Tags
avian vet, clicker training, collard greens, dandelion greens, food bowl, food bowls, mustard greens, pet store, seed mix, sunflower seeds