New Toby Pics - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

New Toby Pics

It's been awhile since I've posted some pics so here we go!

It was beautiful here last Friday and Toby spent a good part of the day outside playing on his playgym. He was babbling to himself and to the dogs. He was telling Manto (German Shepherd) to "be quiet" when he would bark and yelling "MANTO!" when he would walk by. He would bark like Tito which of course gets Tito barking.

At one point I walked around the corner of the house, as soon as Toby saw me he yelled "PEEK A BOO!!" and then laughed like my hubby.

His current word/phrase of the week is "come on guys" and "bubba" (my nickname for my hubby).

I just love that kid! He's such a goofball.

Here he was telling me "I love you".

Fluffing up when I showed him his apple juice (means he wants some)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

He loves his playtree/gym. He likes to climb up, down and all around.

Here's his bear that he beheaded!!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Awwwww what a beauty!!!! Birds are such a hoot and I've not had a bird yet that didn't enjoy teasing the dogs lol.

My grey's "habit of the month" is to whine like the puppy which has me taking the pup out far more often than he wants to actually go lol

Toby is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics.... There's nothing more Majestic than the MaCAW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's such a gorgeous boy, Jodi!! I can't wait to come see him and the rest of your crew again!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:17 PM

He is stunning Jodi!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Deb, isn't it funny how they like to tease the dogs?!?

He doesn't do it anymore but he used to whistle for the dogs, Snooper would come running in the living room and Toby would laugh at her.
Poor Snoop!

He likes to *bully* the dogs too. It's so funny to watch a 2 lb bird chase a 120 lb German Shepherd out of the room. Tito (5lb Chihuahua) will scream and then jump down off the couch when Toby comes near him.... but Tito is the drama queen of the house. LOL
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Jodi he is just so beautiful!!! I fall in love with that bird everytime I see his pics!!!

Two weeks ago, Josh and I won a $1000 dollar gift certificate in a contest, and guess what Josh said..."Hey, now we can get our Macaw!" I said..."Honey, they cost way more than that!! Plus the cage and all the supplies...lol...we would need a $10,000 gift certificate!!" Ha ha...its so cute that he actually wants one so bad! Someday...

Toby is gorgeous.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:39 PM

Jodi,
Toby is absolutely gorgeous, and that last pic of him and beheading the bear is too funny, Toby has an expression like "yeah I did that"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM

He's so beautiful!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 PM

Aww, he's soooo cute! Such a clown!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Two weeks ago, Josh and I won a $1000 dollar gift certificate in a contest, and guess what Josh said..."Hey, now we can get our Macaw!" I said..."Honey, they cost way more than that!! Plus the cage and all the supplies...lol...we would need a $10,000 gift certificate!!" Ha ha...its so cute that he actually wants one so bad! Someday...
You would be SHOCKED at how many MaCAWs can be obtained for little to no charge!!!! A LOT of people spend a LOT of money to get these beautiful birds and then realize that they are EXTREMELY LOUD, and DIRTY and require a TON of attention and work to maintain.... the end result are bird rescues jam packed with gorgeous birds up for adoption that are in serious need of TLC during rehab.

If you do NOT have neighbors sharing a wall with you, DO have plenty of room for huge cages and perches throughout and DO have a LOT of time to spend with the birds...they can actually be obtained for low amounts of cash. They're still expensive to care for correctly but not as bad as many people think.

One of our African Grey's was in such a position when we obtained him.... he's a gorgeous male that came with cage, toys, food, perches etc because the owners lived in a small apartment couldn't handle the noise, didn't have time to work with him, and started feeling their daughter's allergies were flaring up due to the feathers and dust etc..... My female Grey, however, I accidentally fell in love with at the petshop when she was truly too young to be away from her parents and still being handfed... I paid a hefty amount for her but I couldn't help myself at the time lol.

A lot depends on your own research and patience.... you just never know when a, normally outrageously priced animal, is going to be available for little to no fee at all... It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open. People can be pretty pathetic and sometimes they get caught up in the impulse buy (for those that can afford it) but don't spend the time researching what they purchased so it eventually ends up in the "trash" which with pets often means shelters and rehabs that work so hard to turn one man's trash into another man's treasure
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

aww Toby is sooo cute Jodi!!! My p's have decided no more dogs when Cindy dies and I was telling mum that it would be weird to not have some pet to say hi to when I visit and told her to buy a macaw! I was totally kidding of course and my dad is just like me and loves a joke so he got in on it too and my dad absolutely LOVES birds and would seriously love one and my mum was getting so stressed out cause she thought I wa sputting a really bad idea into my dad's head!! Meanwhile in a couple of years time my p's are moving into a unit that doesn't allow any type of animal (not even a rabbit) and she kept telling me that a macaw would just be way too noisy and would not be happy there! My dad said he'd come and take it to my place for a fly and that he'd teach it to fly from balcony to blacony in their complex! We had her going sooooo good!!! Of course I would only joke like this to my p's who know better!
But if I ever get over my bird phobia I'm coming to play with Toby!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
If you do NOT have neighbors sharing a wall with you, DO have plenty of room for huge cages and perches throughout and DO have a LOT of time to spend with the birds...they can actually be obtained for low amounts of cash. They're still expensive to care for correctly but not as bad as many people think.
It's true that rescues are jam packed. BUT for a first time bird owner, I wouldn't recommend taking just any macaw from a rescue. There are degrees of behavior issues and macaws just like greys and toos are very sensitive to their environment.

A lot of times, first time bird owners are talked into getting a big bird from a rescue only to get home to bird they cannot handle. And then there goes the bird back to another rescue, further destroying him/her. I'm not saying that people shouldn't save a bird and adopt from a rescue, quite the opposite. I just think that first time bird owners need to pick a bird that they will be able to handle. Macaws are very intimidating to some people, which can make behavior modification difficult.

There are tons of birds out there that need homes, but I would say that they will need some *help* in deciding if a particular bird will fit with them and their family as far as the birds needs go. While the prices might be better, that should never be one of the reasons when you are considering such a HUGE commitment as a macaw. And believe me they are a huge commitment. It's literally like having a toddler around.

And like Deb said, cages are expensive. We paid $1200 for just his cage... he will need a new one in a couple of years. We would love a stainless steal cage but at $5000 a pop, it won't be happening anytime soon. Then you have to pay for food, toys, playstands, vet stuff (expensive for any kind of exotic), etc. I spend at least $50 a month in toys and that's with me making Toby's toys. If I didn't make his toys, it would easily be $100 a month. And yes, babies are expensive.... but to me Toby was worth every penny.

**Editing to say**
I just wanted to mention that I don't think birds are priced outrageously. If birds were cheap, can you imagine how the resuces would look then?!? At least with the prices of the big birds, the initial costs do steer some impulse buyers away. And they are exotics. Some birds are harder to breed. Which is why a Hyacinth macaw can cost anywhere from $7500 - to $20,000. Budgies, lovebirds, tiels, etc. are MUCH easier to breed and are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by Jodi; 09-16-2004 at 03:53 PM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Of course I would only joke like this to my p's who know better!
But if I ever get over my bird phobia I'm coming to play with Toby!
Carmen! You are bad!!

Come on over next time you're in the US... once you get over the size of his beak, he's quite the cutie pie!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:22 PM

Boy is he handsome! What kind of parrot is he?

Also, are his wings clipped? Or how do you keep him from flying off? (I notice he's outside. )

Tags
african grey, beautiful bird, dog bed, german shepherd, humane society, pet store, pet stores, vet care