Nobody told me... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Nobody told me...

A friend of mine wrote this and gave me permission to post it. I thought ya'll might enjoy it.

NOBODY TOLD ME
By Lori Z.

I had hints, I had advice, I had cautions, but nobody told me how owning birds would completely take over my life.

Nobody told me I'd become a bird store junky, standing at the checkout counter in bliss until half way home and then wondering just how long it would be before the Visa came in or husband asked for the check book to balance the account.

Nobody told me my husband would say, "I think you ought to stay away from the bird store. You seem to have lost all control". Hmmmm ... Me? How did this happen?

Nobody told me when I saw a particular cage for $595.00 I might think wow that IS a good deal. Or when someone mentioned a $4,000.00 cage I could see the reason some people might need a cage like that.

Nobody told me that I would be up at 7:00am on Sunday morning peeling yams and apples to cook so they would be added into a corn meal and wheat cereal mash.

Nobody told me I wouldn't mind when feeding that mash to my bird that he would shake his head with that mixture flying in every direction, on to my carpet, on to my clothes, on to my face.

Nobody told me how much money I would spend on food, how much of it I would buy and just how little my birds would like any of it.

Nobody mentioned that once you own birds you need an extra freezer in the garage.

Nobody told me that I would spend an hour standing with my hand on a tree branch watching for hawks so my bird could hang out in the sun and chew new buds.

Nobody told me I would be on the computer at all hours talking and reading about birds.

Nobody told me I would make friends I will never see and that I would worry about them and theirs as if family.

Nobody told me I would check my son's bed for old or damaged stuffed animals to give to the bird like that stuffed cat. He never really liked it and it is missing a leg anyway.

Nobody told me I would do two extra loads of laundry a week with bird towels and sheets.

Nobody told me that every morning I would put a sheet over my covers, litter my bed with weird wooden things, stuffed animals, leather pieces, apple slices and peanuts.

Nobody told me just how much he would squawk.

Nobody told me I not only could tell the difference but would learn when to respond, or that my husband would say, "it's okay, this is his good morning happy time, he will settle down."

Nobody told me I could play with him like I do. That he would chase me and I would chase him. That he would be just as exuberant as a puppy.

Nobody could have convinced me that this my husband would agree to shower with the birds in the bathroom (for the steam) and then without urging, could be heard to play peek-a-boo while drying off.

Nobody told me how much I would sing out loud.

Nobody could have guessed those songs would be golden oldies like You Are My Sunshine or songs from musicals.

Nobody told me how excited I would get to come home after 6 hrs. and see seed thrown all over the place. Yea! He ate by himself while I was gone.

Nobody told me that I would not resent vacuuming twice a day to clean up the mess he made while eating alone.

Nobody told me how I would feel when sooo tired I put out a sheet on the floor, put toys all over, grabbed a pillow for me, lay down and my birdy only wanted to snuggle with me.

Nobody told me how it would feel to have a little bird body across your chest and neck, little head on your cheek. I was not told how soft his kisses would be or how warm his face was as he fell asleep on my cheek cooing softly.

Nobody told me how long I would lay there awake so he could sleep.

Everybody told me how much I would love him but noone could tell me how much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:30 PM

aww that was beautiful!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

That was so sweet!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

that was very sweet!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Awww! That was great!

Rhonda

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:40 PM

I don't have birds, but my sister has three...she feels the same way
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:09 AM

That's priceless! What a wonderful way to feel!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww! That was cute!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
stuffed animal, stuffed animals