Oh happy day!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool New Bird

If I can get this to post, then I'll come back and tell you about him!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Oh happy day!!!

I did it I did it I did it I did it - without further instruction!!!

Okay, here's the scoop. We went to the bird/exotic animal show on Sunday nearby here. This particular bird (a Patagonian) was walking around on the tops of the cages of all the other birds on his table. Bubba walked up to him and picked him up and he immediately snuggled and was just extremely friendly.

Meanwhile I was looking at something else, so Bubba had to come looking for me. I picked up the bird, loved on him , etc. The man who owned him had already told Bub he would make him such a good deal on the bird that it would be like the bird had a $5 bill in its beak. So out of no where this voice comes from my mouth and says "would you trade?" So we talked for a while, he told us to come home and get Piper and bring her to him (it was almost time for the show to end).

We ended up bringing the new bird (Zoe says we should call him Rainbow) and meeting him and his wife later that night at the Cracker Barrel. He took one look at Piper and said "This bird is going in the living room; it's not going to the aviary." She is a very pretty bird, great feathers, but absolutely HATES me and I can't even reach into her cage to feed her.

We watched the shuttle take off - a different view than the one from our house because we were closer but there were more lights - then all went in to have dinner together. Dena, they have (I think) 50 pairs of parrotlets! And that doesn't count their other birds - 7 pairs of Congo grays, etc.

We had a really good time, stayed too long, but they want us to come to their place on Indian River and see all the birds. The lady (Diane) said I could come spend the day with her any time because she is hand feeding 70 babies right now and I could get my fill of them.

I realize that I may get some grief from some of you for swapping an African Gray for another bird. But we talked about it for a long time (I had to shed some tears last night) because we want what is best for her - and since I lost my hold on her when I had the blood clot she has never been a sweet, loving bird. We were talking about selling her; I think this is better because this man really knows his birds and will work with her. Maybe we just weren't the right family for her.

This bird came to us with the name "Pretty Boy". which has got to go! I wanted to name him Jonathon, but Bubba said no. So he's being called all kinds of assorted names until the right one sticks!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:01 PM

Bird "swapping" I know is very big within the industry because many birds just do not like the people they are with sometimes. So I for one completely understand why you would trade. You can train a bird for bad behaviors but not because of taste It was probably the best thing you could have done for you and your bird. You must tell me more about this Pantagonian. I am not familiar with them.

And I suggest you make some more room when you go visit them and their 50 pairs of parrotlets because I guarantee you that one will make you bring him/her home with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

The Patagonian is from the Conure family = which I didn't realize until I got him home. I got home today at around 5:00 and he has screamed solid since then. I am pulling my hair out one at a time.

I asked Bubba is he would call the people and see what the trade ration would be from Patagonian to Parrotlet. . . . .I'm too old and my nerves can't take this!

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:58 PM

Ohh Critter, I was hoping this bird would be a better match for you. Hope things work out with this couple you traded with.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

As usual the bird loves Bubba - quit screaming when Bub got home but by then I was almost over the edge!! We're going to talk to them tomorrow and see how Piper is doing, see if they have a 'tiel I can get for my parents for C'mas, then slide in a question about the noise maker. All birds make some noise, and I'm very aware of that. But this is constant. My fibro is acting up today and that doesn't help at all. I can't help but wonder if I have to spend a day in bed how can I tolerate a bird screaming all day too?

We'll work it out. Being a typical man, Bubba will fix it for me.

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:46 PM

Critter, I can totally understand swapping your grey, my parents had one and it hated EVERYBODY...so it stayed in it's cage all the time, I wish they would've traded him to someone that would have liked him!

They also had a conure (I forget which kind...she was all green) and she shrieked CONSTANTLY...ugh! The only time she was quiet was when my dad was holding her.