Opinions and thoughts - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Opinions and thoughts

Since I'm collecting this manzanita I thought I'd make a toy or two for Carmen as well.

We made her a swing out of a manzanita branch. Hubby put a big eye bolt through it and a chain. On the chain we are putting other wood chews and toys of the like. Rope toys, Chewy blocks, rawhide, etc....

Do you think this is a good idea? Would it be something you'd do for your bird? Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:14 PM

Absolutely!!!!

The more junk you can toss at her the better lol.

I'd also weave some black/white newspaper between each exposed hook of the chain. Carmen should enjoy pulling it all out

Be careful with the "ropy/stringy" things though...monitor for stray threads because they can get their talons tangled up in them :/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:14 PM

I don't have any birds, but my sister has a couple of conures and a cockatiel...she thought it would be a great idea for her feathered friends! I would say, go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 11:17 PM

Yep, we have one similar. We have lots of different toys that hang off it. The rope toys are great for preening and of course he loves tearing up wood toys! I go through so many toys for him it's crazy.

It's great Chrisanne that you're making Carmen some toys!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 11:28 PM

That sounds great ... I love making my own toys for the parrots ... it is so much cheaper! Mine goes though anything I make in hours though. Just make sure you aren't using treated wood or anything.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Nope, no treated wood. Its all fresh cut (hiking in the desert is wonderful) thoroughly cleaned, and baked manzanita. The rest of the wood is stuff I got from Freedom expressories.

Hubby thinks we should try to sell the bird swings like we do the manzanita for chinnies. I don't think it'll fly though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 09:02 AM

Heck if you've got manzanita just sell it as is for those who like to build their own...

Bird owners, fish owners, reptile owners..... to name a few.... will find uses for it
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
Heck if you've got manzanita just sell it as is for those who like to build their own...

Bird owners, fish owners, reptile owners..... to name a few.... will find uses for it
We are doing that. I have some listed on ebay now, and have done several specific orders.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Can I add that you can also use the sisal rope, that will
"break" when chewed, so if the footie does manage to get wrapped up, the danger is less than with cotton or paulie rope. They can usually free themselves from the sisal.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

cool, thanks for sharing
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:49 AM

Sounds good to me. Beekle found an old green tennis ball I'd left inside a roll of masking tape. It's now his favourite toy. I put it on the window sill and now he can use it to look out.

Most of the time though he just wobbles around on it squawking maddly and head butting it