Parakeet - needs home with experienced bird owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Parakeet - needs home with experienced bird owner

Does this go here? .... >.>....<.<....? May a mod please move it if not.

My mom wants to give away her parakeet. He's started to gnaw on the bars to his cage to the point they're breaking, and I think it's because he's lonely(he's by himself, and my mom's been unable to hand-tame him).

Soo.... they're not quite sure he is even a he, 'cuz apparently the cere is a REALLY light blue. So I think he would be much better off with an experienced bird owner who could hand-tame him, and ideally give him a friend to play with.

My parents are in Schenectady, NY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Lovin' my pack!

My friend and I,Pandapaws are in Western NY...she has about 60 birds all together,handfeeding experience etc..I have 16 keets myself..not sure where your mom is located..gonna google...

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Oh wow! its about 4 n half hours away from me!!! I have a bar chewer! She's named squeaky cuz we adopted her about 1 1/2 years old!! she would squeak if you touch her! I know how to deal with that kind of behavior..squirt bottles her friend too!! She actually just laid her first egg! and will be a mommy! Pandapaws has a thread of hers,squeak and Blueberry. I really wish we could adopt the keet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's no problem if you can't. My mom just got another cat to be a companion for her kitty, and she's distrustful of the mischief they could get themselves into with the parakeet. The new kitty is still in quarantine, and the pre-existing cat gets locked up in another room when she's at work and when they're sleeping so she doesn't mess with the parakeet, whom she's showed great interest in since she just recently retired from being an outdoor cat.

If you know anyone who can, let me know. My mom sets him free in the bathroom when she cleans his cage, and he's generally so nervous he just stays in the tub and doesn't move. The only one that's been able to hold him was his Avian vet, and that was from experience, not because Lightfeather(the parakeet, whom I named, thank you, lol) let him do it.

The poor boy's just had a tough life. He was the only remaining parakeet at the pet store and my mom felt sorry for him. She didn't realize he had Scaley Face Mites until I came for a visit and noticed he was missing feathers around his beak and looked generally ill(my mom's eyesight isn't the greatest), so we found a really good Avian vet, took him there, Lightfeather had two injections separated by I forget how long, of Ivermectin, and he's been fine every since. He no longer has wooden perches in his cage though just in case, because we heard the mites could burrow into the wood.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 07-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Ya mites do lurk into all things wood..that's why they seem to pop up after breeding..We treat all ours regularly..and have been fortunate not to of had to take any to the vet for scalyface.One reason I started breeding too...

There is a petshop by me,that has been shut down before,and cannot believe the terrible conditions of ALL the pets.from dogs to being in crates with wire floors,being totally pee soaked,to the parakeet section where they have even admitted to me to getting a shipment of 200!! in at once!! I just cannot believe they sell THAT many! My friend will come visit me as often as a couple weeks apart,and have seen that place go from packed to virtually empty! One shipment that came,had half of them on the floor of the cages..They weren't even WEANED yet! It seems like they pull them from the nest to start the next clutch! I googled bird mills,and cannot believe that something like that can exist for a bird that only costs like 18 bucks! My friend has gotten a few over the years from there as they happened to be rare colors,and only has one left today that i know of..I could be wrong. They either die within a few weeks,or a few months,probably from resp infection.So sad.

I hope she finds a new home for her keet,don't know if she tried advertising on craigslist..it's a pain,but I do happen to find a good home eventually after weeding out the scum..

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My dad posted an ad on cragislist. But he didn't mention anything about those with experience, which is why I'm advertising too, because I think that's REALLY important, especially to a parakeet that's as flighty as he is. I mean...he squacks and scolds them and everything, but god forbid you reach in his cage...he goes nuts. So he definitely needs someone that can handle one like him and tame the wild beast that he is.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Lovin' my pack!

It's easy for me to say I can easily grab them and could have their wings clipped in no time.. It would make handling a heck of a lot easier. it just takes time with them..I have 3 out of 16 that can still pack a bite! but with experience ,there is a certain way to hold them without getting bit,like im sure with every different type of animal

As for the freaking out when in the cage, a new owner would understand the time it might take to tame them down,if they are experienced..maybe he can change or delete and repost the ad..see what happens...there is also Kijiji,which is now ebay classifieds,a free ad if he wants to advertise more. Hoobly.com too

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Headlock

in bird mills like the ones they sell over 200 they take the eggs out of the boxes and incubate them and hand feed them then they sell them so they have room for more that's why there always more eggs being laid as for mites it's not just wood that they can come from it's everything they can live in.

I hope it finds a good home with other budgies.

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I definitely check out Kijiji and Hoobly, thanks. My mom introduced the two cats today, so he really needs to a find a home.

Could being from a bird mill result in ill-tempered parakeets, I wonder? I know you guys breed; how's the temperament from the offspring?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Machine handfed actiually!!! like people are going to actually care for them!! That's why they are not used to people..even the young ones that come into the pet stores..They need to be trained and handtamed from the new owners,and most of them just buy on a whim,because their kid sees them and wants them,and because they are only 20 dollar birds,so many of them end up being rehomed.In your mom's case,she felt sorry for it,and took it in,and seems like she didn't know what she was getting into..not that she's a bad person,some pets are just not for everybody.

The temperment being bred into it???? I think like this,I am a dog person more so,I have bred and will be breeding again cocker spaniels. As with all breeds,mean viscious parents,will breed that into them. A male my mom favored had agressive tendencies,when she would hold it..and I kept a daughter of his,and she was great people dog,but had food agressions with the rest. I have groomed that males offspring,and had to muzzle a few of them. I think even hamsters,mice,birds,cats...every animal is not the same..they all have a personality! We both breed,and have alot of birds,and they have different personalitites!

My clutch i just had,I kept a few of them,and they have the handleable,cuddly fun personality of dad...

POINT....I DO think bad traits can be bred into birds.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

You don't need to feel bad about my mom; it really aggrivated me that she got a parakeet. But she was lonely, and wanted a pet. She doesn't have the best track-record with pets...she says she commits, but she gives up all too easily. She'd had parakeets before; so she couldn't understand why this one has been so difficult, because she hasn't had such a hard time before.

I agree all animals have personalities; my fiance and I both feel that way, his aunt and uncle, however, don't. They will argue until they're blue in the face that animals do not have distinct personalities, and we, as humans, are mentally attributing "personalities" to them.

I just meant if birds coming from bird mills could have ill-temperaments. I didn't know they were machine-fed and everything. That's pretty bad. :/ 'Cuz the place my mom got the bird is a place we don't normally have an issue with; they have an indoor aviary for the parakeets. And Lightfeather was the only bird in the aviary, so my mom felt sorry for him, and got him.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah; Hoobly didn't seem to work. I couldn't get it to accept a post. the Ebay classifieds worked, though.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Well..Good Luck! Let us know if she finds a home for it.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

She took Lightfeather to a small rescue about an hour away. The cats were getting really interested in Lightfeather and it was the safest route rather than waiting.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Nevermind... she didn't show, u.u Back to nothing again.

Tags
experienced, male, new york, parakeet, schenectady