Parakeets and metal objects - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Parakeets and metal objects

Beekle has just started a molt (I'm going to have to call him 'Spike' for a while since his head is starting to look like a hedgehog) and at about the same time he started behaving oddly toward one of his toys.

The toy is a mirror with a metal bell on the bottom and untilt molt started he just used to stand next to it and peck the mirror occasionally. Since the molt started he's taken to holding the edge of the mirror in his beak and licking/sucking it for several minutes on end.

It makes me wonder if he's missing something from his diet and thinks he can get it from the bell.

FWIW his diet is 95% seed and some (not much) brocoli and iodine block. I've tried training him onto other food but it's an uphill struggle. I can't even swear he's eating the brocoli but he does spend a minute or so apparently nibbling it every now and again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 07:58 AM

I know nothing about birds but my sisters birds do that when molting...she thinks it's because they hate their new hairdoos
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Have you tried feeding pellets? I understand about him not wanting to try other foods, unfortunately it's not that unusual. Have you tried different fruits?

You can always use a multi-vitamin in his water.

Toby gets *lovey dovey* with some of his toys also. It's usually so hilarious to watch that I end up ruining the mood for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:18 PM

My parakeets have vitamins in their water, due to what happened to Soda. They also eat apples, and parsley, and millet. They get a varied seed diet. Maybe you should take your bird to the vet, because Soda kind of did that and he had an antibacterial infection in his crop area due to lack of minerals and vitamins.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 03:01 PM

Sounds like a good keet diet Natalie!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Thanks! That's the first time I heard that from anyone that's an expert!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Have you tried feeding pellets? I understand about him not wanting to try other foods, unfortunately it's not that unusual. Have you tried different fruits?

You can always use a multi-vitamin in his water.
Worth a try. He seems healthy enough but of course it's hard to tell.

His latest trick now is to hang on the bell with one foot while trying to peck at the mirror. It means doing the splits but that doesn't seem to bother him

Actually he went one further last night - he tried to hang off the bell while pecking at the mirror. I predict finding the entire thing on the bottom of his cage soon.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 02:49 PM

Oh, that's normal. My birds always find ways to unhang their toys and throw them on the ground, but it's okay since no one gets hurt.
My parakeets are actually so insane that they sleep on top of their hanging toys! It's so cute to see them perched there holding on with all their might, but they last the whole night. Good luck with Beekle, birds will be birds.