are parrotlets good pets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking are parrotlets good pets?

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about parrotlets?

Do they make good pets? I used to have a cockatiel that would let me pet and scratch him. Would a parrotlet allow this if I got him/her while they are young? thanks for any help in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 PM

It depends. I got mine when she was a baby and she was the cutest little thing. She loved me now she likes to bite me. She is still young (3yrs) so I'm hoping she will get over it. Every once in a while she wiggles for me and I know deep down she loves me.

Many people have very loving parrotlets. Even if they aren't that loving they have such big personalities they make up for it in different ways. Just keep in mind that because they are a tiny bird doesn't mean they don't require more big parrot care. Out of my three birds she turned out to be a chewer and now gets Amazon size pinata toys to tear apart. They also are pigs when it comes to food. They need a really good variety and a lot more of it then you might think. I have a great site for info specifically on this breed if you would like some personal experience info.

Parrotlet Link
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

okay..thanks for the advice! I've heard that they are a big parrot in a little body! haha. I'll definitely check out that link. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 07:28 AM

Wink

I have heard that parrotlets are noisy and unpredictable. I have a quaker that just loves scritches and kisses.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I've heard that quakers can have really bad noise problems. Is yours loud? I've also read that parrotlets are unable to screach like bigger parrots?? max is very cute by the way! thanks for the help.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Parrotlets have teeny tiny chirp. If she gets upset over something she does this really fast little squeeky chirp a little annoying if it goes on for too long but I definitely would not call her noisy. And unpredictable, I don't think thats the case either, I know exactly when she is going to bite me, LOL. I named her Diva for a reason and she is living well up to her name.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

awww...diva is a cute name. haha..thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 PM

I don't have a parrotlet but I've heard they make great pets. They have the personality & spunkiness of the big parrots only in a smaller package. I've never heard of them being described as loud. All birds are noisy and messy though to an extent!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

hhaa...yes, that seems to be true about birds(loud and messy) I went to a bird show in Joliet, IL this weekend and asked a lady if parrotlets were loud and she said that they were not too bad compared to the macaws that they own! haha They sure are cute little guys.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM

I'm lucky to be blessed with a *quiet* macaw (at least so far) but I've heard my share of macaws let loose. Holy Moly - get your ear plugs. I have a friend with a cockatoo... I can't be on the phone with him when his 'too gets worked up! It will break your eardrums even over the phone!

But it's not just the big birds.....Sun Conures are SO LOUD! Beautiful, but loud!

Tags
sun conure