Parrots on the streets of New York - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Alena

Parrots on the streets of New York

Ok, this is really weird. There is a large tree on out block, it's got a couple of bird feeders on it. Hubby and I were walking by on Sunday and saw a bunch of parrots (I counted 6) hanging out on the tree. They are large, about 10 inches, all green with yellow sports on the face... We stared and wondered, then left... Coming back 3 hours latter, they were still there... They were still there on Monday. I thought it's pretty weird that a group of parrots is surviving in NY's climate... They did not look like they were suffering at all, they looked like happy birds...
I just wanted to share the story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:54 AM

They will not survive long in this climate outside. Maybe you could try to catch them and get them inside.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:00 PM
ILoveUglyMen

that is a neat story, i wonder how the parrots ended up living in new york though? and how are they going to survive the cold? poor parrots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Alena

Sassy>> When I tried getting closer to the tree, the took off.. I think they might have a nest somewhere, because they are not LIVING in the tree, they are not there all the time, they just go there to feed.... I guess whoever is filling up the feeders is aware of them...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:33 PM

I would not try to catch the birds yours self. They seem as though they could be already adapted to their environment and believe me they can survive the NY climate. There is a group of Monk Parakeets or Quakers that live in North East New Jersey - I think Edgewater or that area. They have a built a successful colony that has been there for about 5 years. There was a big argument because Quakers are illegal in NJ due to agricultural protection. Fortunately since there isn't any agriculture in that area the people of the town fought to keep them there.

Remember that birds are not as domestic as dogs and cats. Left alone to their environment and each other they will automatically revert back to being wild birds and can be very dangerous (anyone that has been bitten by a parrot can attest to the pain)

Someone probably didn't clip their wings or let them go because they didn't want them and if they were breeders than they are one up already towards surviving. Definitely call your local animal control department.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Alena

I will go back to look if they are still there today.... it was 27 degrees this morning...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:30 PM

Believe it or not parrots have a better chance of surviving in cold weather than they do in hot weather.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Alena

i figured that.. i also though that it would be impossible for 6 parrots to escape at once or to get together later on, so i thought that maybe it's a groups that have been breedoing in the wold. anywho, i just thought it was somewhat strange....

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 03:16 PM
MERLIN

Hi from the UK

For several years now there has been an increasing population of ring neck parakeets living wild in the UK. As they come from the Himalayas they don't hve much trouble in a British climate (especially as they raid feeders) but they could be on the way to becoming a pest. The latest count estimates the population at over 3000 in the London area...

Tags
animal control, local animal control