pet store birds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

pet store birds

I was just wondering if it is okay to buy a bird from a petstore if it looks healthy, lives in good conditions, and it is friendly. I have just read a lot about pet store chinnies having problems later on so I was just wondering if it is the same for birds. Thanks.
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've gotten all my birds from the same Bird Store/Breeder. They also sell exotics and I've been going to them for years. Do some research on the place and ask a lot of questions. Find out where they get their birds. Do they breed? Do they purchase from reputable breeders? Can they give you references? Do they hatch and hand feed?

My opinion is - if everything checks out and there is a health guarantee, and you feel comfortable with the information you've gathered and the sellers, etc. I don't see a reason not to. You should always have your new bird - or any new pet checked out by your own vet within a day or two of purchase and this should fall within the time period of the seller's health gaurantee. I know pet lemon laws differ from state to state so I would also check out your state's policy on pet purchases.

Have you found a bird that you've fallen for, or one who has picked you? Just curious!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 08:38 AM

Well, this is a question that some people will tell you "never buy a bird from a pet store" (just like a dog). Personally, I agree with Deja. I think it depends on the store and the situation. Tell us more!

There are a couple of things to look for. How old is the bird? If he's still a baby and being kept in good conditions, then see how he/she responds to you. Sometimes you just click with a birdie.

Do you know the people at the store? Do you know what kind of care the bird is receiving? Are they force weaning?

If the birdie is older you have to be prepared to work with them. Second hand fids have a LOT of baggage. More so than a dog, cat or any other pet. Birds don't forget and something in their past life may have traumatized them and will cause irrational behaviors when you get home. They may be biters, screamers and very leary of you. It can take a lot of work to turn a second hand bird around - BUT it can be done. You just have to be prepared for the road ahead. I know people who have worked 2 years to get their bird just to step up! (that is something that will come naturally and easily if you get a baby bird). Now, don't think I'm not saying don't get a second hand bird. I just want to be sure you are aware of what it can take. (It's not like getting a shelter dog!!) I know plenty of people who have taken rescue fids and found a very loving & loyal companion. Sharon's Eephus is a rescued fid so she could elaborate more on this.

As far as health, I would recommend getting a health guarantee. You can't always see signs of illness. Better to have a vet check them.

So....tell us about this birdie...what kind? How old? HAve you ever had a bird before?

How exciting! Hubby & I are going to look at a baby hybrid macaw today. No, we're not going to bring the little girl home, she's just so beautiful and the breeder called this week and said she's really starting to feather out so I need to come see her. It will be SO hard to leave her there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

LOL, you guys are so cute. Well, I'm not getting a bird anytime soon cause of my mom but I saw a cute lutino cockatiel at Petsmart the other day. Just the bird I want! It looked pretty young and healthy, so I was just wondering. When I do get one yes, it will be my first bird. So we'll just have to see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy

1 orange tabby - Max

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi Jenn,
Deja and Jodi gave some great advice! Now, here are my experiences. I got my Angel, my umbrella too' at a speciality bird store/ breeder, same with Snowy(parakeet) and Sunny (cockatiel). I definaltly think this is the way to go, a breeder/ specialty bird store. However, Brad got his bird, Gizzy (tiel) at Petsupermarket, and well..he isn't very nice! He was healthly and everything when we got him, but I think being in those surroundings everyday (they have the tiel's in an open top cage where everyone can stick their hands in) has scared him of people. At first we thought, he was getting used to everything, but he just never got to be friendly. He doesn't like to come out of the cage even! When Brad and I moved in together, we put Gizzy and Sunny together and they are just inseferable (sp?). Sunny likes his head scratches and Gizzy starts hissing. And can bite really hard! We got Casper from Petsmart (he is with Snowy) and he is nice, but skiddish as well. I can totally tell they came from somewhere else. Petsmart is different, they have their birds in a glass/ cage atleast so everyone isn't sticking their hands in all the time, frightening the poor guys. IMHO, I wouldn't get a bird from Petsmart or Petsupermarket again. When we got them they were healthy, however, I don't think they are as socialble from our experiences anyway. I would suggest the speicalty bird stores and breeders. They are used to being handled and being around us humans.
Good luck with the birdie search!
Awww Jodi! How cute! Did you go and see her yesterday??

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 02:05 PM

Soooo sweet! She's a little lover. Wish I had the time & energy for another one...I just don't. Toby's so much work as it is. Ya know?

Oh well, I least I can go see her and love on her until she's gone! lol

Tags
pet store, reputable breeder