Pigeons? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Kritter_Keeper

Pigeons?

Hey! Just wondering if anyone else keeps, shows, or flys pigeons (any breed). I personally have racing homers and birmingham rollers. For anyone unfamiliar with these birds, they are for flying. The racing homers are trained as youngsters to find their way home, first from only a couple miles, and later on, from hundreds of miles away. These birds can be raced, as their name implies, and they are crated up, taken on a truck with hundreds or thousands of other birds and released from a place where they have never been before, anywhere from 100-1000 miles away. They are then timed by coming through the "clock" on their loft, they go in through the door or "trap" and their time is recorded. The fastest birds win. Rollers on the other hand are only flown from their loft - they cannot be taken away from home. These birds fly up real high and then drop and do a series of backflips so fast they look like a falling ball of feathers. My birds all do this for 30-40ft (dropping and rolling). That is very deep for a roller, and very cool too see. Both these breeds, like many other breeds of pigeons (there are over 1500, we aren't talking about those dirty little street pigeons) come in many colours, and I have reds, blues, blacks, greys, yellows, whites, and lots of mixes. But colour is not what is focused on with these birds, its all about how they perform. Any that don't, racer or roller, like show birds, are eliminated from the kit (flock).
Hope you learned something, and hopefully someone else out there is a pigeon nut as well !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 01:21 PM

I don't own any of them, but one of like my 3rd or 4rth cousins is one of those ladies who hs all the white ones people let go at there weddings....then they just fly back to her house. She charges a good bit for it, and I hear it looks really cool. My Mom wanted me to invite her to thewedding, but going to 3rd and 4th cousins is a little absurb, so I said only if she'd bring the birds for free! ha ha! no deal!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Very cool! They are white racing homers. I know a few people who do that, none near me though. I've been thinking about doing it to make a little extra money

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:27 PM

These pigeons are really intrigueing me! Which would be best in a pet like atmostphere. I would be willing to train them to come when called. I am planning all this for when I get out of college.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Pokey, I am not sure. I do not believe they should be kept in as pets, they should be outside and allowed to fly. If you are wanting an indoor pet, it doesn't matter what breed you get, it won't be able to show its true talents anyways.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:47 PM

I don't mean inside. Just friendly enough to be held and petted on. I would keep them outside and train them to what the need to be trained to do.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Then you would need more than one. Rollers for example need to be in a big group, whereas homers are independent. Research a bit Pokey, and maybe I can help you out

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I'd love to see the rollers in action! That is just too cool. I didn't know anything about them.

At the Cincinnatti Zoo they have a plaque dedicated to a homing pigeon. One of those things I've read so many times I have forgotten what it really says. Oops!

You're right, these guys don't sound like "pets" in the way that we think of the word, but they do sound like great fun. Maybe you can get a picture of a roller "in the act"???

Thanks for teaching us something!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Yes Critter, once I get some youngsters I will try and see if I can get a picture of a few spinning in the kit. It is truly amazing, unless of course they roll down and go SPLAT, lol. That is what is so hard about breeding these birds.... Its hard enough to breed ones that roll, but sometimes you get some that can't control it and kill themselves. It is a very challenging sport, but a very rewarding one.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Well, we'd prefer NOT to see pictures of the "splats" if you don't mind! Or at least that would be my preference! I'm a card-carrying wimp.

But I'm also a bird lover, and I'd love to see this different kind of bird than I'm used to dealing with.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Well you can expect pics in the next few months. I got rid of my loft tonight because it killed all my birds. I was just going to quit. But the guy said him and another guy I know would get me some lumber and build me a new loft for free! Twice the size and alot better quality. So, looks like I'm in the bird business for good! LOL.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sometimes the niceness of others is somewhat overwhelming, isn't it? That's great that they are going to help you out - just keep them supplied with beverages!

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 08:33 PM

HOw did it kill your birds?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 11:07 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your pigeons Nick I know how much you cared for them and I understand wanting to quit but you have so much talent for this - don't give up! If there are many people willing to help then it was meant to be. Good luck and maybe you can get us some pics of the new loft when it is finished.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Thanks alot guys. I'm taking a bit of a break, and then I will take that guy up on his offer. Pokey, I think there was some disease I just couldn't get out of the loft, probably deep within the wood. Birds are hard to look after because they never show symptoms until they are just about gone. With a fresh loft I should do great though.