Please help ID birdies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Please help ID birdies

I need help ID'ing these birdies who started building a nest on my porch the photo below is of the male

This is the male and the female is in the nest

Someone told me that these were "house finches" is this correct? I know what a finch looks like and these birds don't look like any finches i'v seen before. Also the regular finches (who live in my palm trees) seem to dis-like these "red necked" birds and often try to destroy the nest that is being built on my porch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot cup of Joe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My babies
1 Dog: Huckleberry aka "Stickly Bear"
1 Cat: Kitty aka "Love Muffin"
1 Wolf Spider: JuJuBe "RIP"
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol
1 Snail: Eddy aka "Goes slow-a-lot"
1 100 gal pond to come....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 PM

I do alot of bird watching and these are common in my yard. The person who told you "House Finch" was correct. The incubation for the eggs will be 12-14 days (female incubates) and then fledgings 15-19 days (mom and daddy birds will both feed babies) They are beautiful little birds.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Oh, here is one more thing, They are called "House Finch", but you can also look them up on the web by "Carpodacus mexicanus". I have a bird book and just love marking each bird I see in my yard! Have fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk View Post
Also the regular finches (who live in my palm trees) seem to dis-like these "red necked" birds ...
lol- Thats hilarious! The 'Regular' Finches don't like the 'Red Neck' Finches..

ok.. so i think Davids made me listen to a few too many Jeff Foxworthy jokes..

My Furry Family
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hahah

Thanks guys! Will keep you guys post if there are any eggs.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah we had those around my old house, the book i read called them purple finches even though theyre not purple

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking We Got Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!! I looked inside the nest today and saw 3 eggs iv already named them.... Dot, Spot and Bob. Mommy bird sat on them most of the day when she flew away I snapped a photo then daddy bird came to sit on the eggs. Mommy came back and took over again. Then daddy came back with a stick for mommy. They kissed and daddy went off for more sticks lol Sooooo cute.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww how cute! You could try putting some bits of colored yawn or string out in your yard somewhere and see if they put it in the nest

My Furry Family
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking Oh hey great idea!

I will have to try that ohhh it would be so cuteAs i came in tonight I could barely see mamma sleeping. During the day when I open the front door she flies away. But at night in the dark i think she feels safer. So the porch light is will have to stay off at night lol. Does anyone know how long it takes finch eggs to hatch?

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM

The incubation for the eggs will be 12-14 days

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking Update

Hey thanks...so i should be seeing babies in about a week then Oh and update on the eggs...the mommie left the nest the other day so i took a peek....there are now 5 eggs.....sorta thinking that the nest is kinda small....Will keep you guys updated.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay more eggs!! she may lay what seem slike a lot, but from having seen babies in a nest before, trust me even 7 can squash into those things, it's amazing to see! like nothing but a sea of little heads lol. be watchful for grackles, crows and blue jays, they're egg and nest stealers. once the babies hatch they'll feed and grow. when ready they leave the nest and hang around on the ground for a few days while they get fed and learn to fly. watch out for 'hood kitties, my mom and i used to scoop up all the babies at night and put them in a shoebox with an old nest in it. then we'd put them back out at sunrise and the parents would come running to claim them lol.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking YAY!!! All five eggs hatched!

Last week I saw daddy and mommy bird tending to the eggs, I sneaked a peak and there were still eggs...Daddy and mommy were acting funny so i knew something was up. Few days ago I checked and all the little chicks were out. Oh they are so cute, little bundles of fuzz squishing around . Will get some photos to show you guys soon. Also have noticed daddy bird sits on the chicks from time to time but its mommy bird who always feeds them. So interesting to watch up close. Anyway.....

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww congrats!! I love baby anythings lol and i bet those bords are super cute!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Can't wait to see the babies!