Please hurry help if you can! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Exclamation Please hurry help if you can!

I was walking my dog tonight with my brother and he noticed a bird egg fallen from a tree. I don't know what to do but I really want to try my best to save it. Do I try to leave it there and try to put it in a nest in the tree? Do I take it home and make my own nest and see if it will ever hatch? I know that I cannot touch it but other than that I really don't have much experience with birds. Is it alright if I wear gloves? Please PLease help if you can. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Part of the Pack

if it's fallen from a nest then it's likely that the parent birds rejected it because there's something wrong with the egg. i know it's not much help, but it might make you feel better.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello Earthling

As the above poster said, it is probably to late to save it and it could have possibly been a reject.

And just so you know touching a baby bird will not make the parents reject is contrary to popular belief.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Curmudgeon

It really happens a lot. There is also very little you can do. Incubating properly is challenge enough, but hand-rearing a bird from hatch is filled with is own obstacles.
These things happen in nature. Sometimes eggs don't make it, sometimes animals die and there is nothing you can do, except accept it, and try not to feel bad about it.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Part of the Pack

birds just know when an egg is bad. it just one of those things. making an incubator is really difficult as well and they take alot of learning to use properly. our first hatch only had 6 out of 25 hatch and that was with fertilised chicken eggs. depressing as it may sound, you just gotta let wild birds be wild birds.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

OK thank you I was just thinking I would do something if I could. Thanks

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Part of the Pack

to try and change the tone.... it's great that you want to help the baby bird! if you really want to hatch out a bird i'd reccommend you get some chickens if you have room. they save you money which is always good in times of financial worry, and you could earn a little by hatching eggs for people, selling your eggs or selling pullets (young chickens). we also rent out our incubator to people and supply them with eggs. it's a great way to at least let the chickens pay for themselves. we also have runner ducks, which are egg laying machines, and being in a tax haven people tend to have a little money, so our duck eggs sell like hotcakes. they also make great hotcakes.

hope this helps change the tone a bit.

if anyone wants some advice about garden livestock they can pm me if they want.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
OK thank you I was just thinking I would do something if I could. Thanks
Your heart is very much in the right place!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks everyone! Its okay...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentopia View Post
to try and change the tone.... it's great that you want to help the baby bird! if you really want to hatch out a bird i'd reccommend you get some chickens if you have room. they save you money which is always good in times of financial worry, and you could earn a little by hatching eggs for people, selling your eggs or selling pullets (young chickens). we also rent out our incubator to people and supply them with eggs. it's a great way to at least let the chickens pay for themselves. we also have runner ducks, which are egg laying machines, and being in a tax haven people tend to have a little money, so our duck eggs sell like hotcakes. they also make great hotcakes.

hope this helps change the tone a bit.

if anyone wants some advice about garden livestock they can pm me if they want.
Oh haha I the tone!! hehe

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Part of the Pack

tx.

oh, if you wanna see cute baby birds, try to visit a budgie breeder, those things are adorable. or turkeys, but noone beleives me on that one.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

the chickens and ducks my family raises we hatched from eggs it was so cute having them around. we have khaki campbell ducks and rodesian red chickens. my mom and i hand built a coup for them aswell. we have 4 female ducks and 3 female chickens and each of them lay an egg every day, and once in awhile one of them will lay two in a day. i have moved out now and my mom brings me and my fiance eggs once a week and she gives my older sister a dozen eggs once a week for her and her room mates. any extras she gives to families that are tight on money from the church she goes to. they are really fun. all of them will eat pieces of veg out of your hands be carefull with the chickens though they get enthusiastic about treats and one time accedently made my fingers bleed >.<
just make sure you have the means to house the chickens before you get them and also research the variaties, some are much louder than others and could cause problems if you dont live in the country. i dont just mean roosters, in certain variaties of chicken the hens can make a ton of noise to.

Last edited by Brighteyed; 06-30-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Tags
baby bird, bird egg, orphaned