Possibly getting a cockatiel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Possibly getting a cockatiel

So i work at the humane society and we got a stray cockatiel, it is grey and white with no cheek pattern. I need to do some research obviously. But i am thinking of bringing it home, and seeing how my dog does, he is obsessed with birds so i don't know how that will go, but the bird is doing well with dogs around at the shelter.

we hold strays for 5 days so i have a few days to learn and can borrow a cage and take it as a trial for a few days before deciding if it will work out. Its really cute and whistles all the time.

My boyfriend is the bird guy he loves em and had them growing up all his life, I on the other hand am a little scared of birds but this one is nice and hopefully would be a good starter bird.

Anyway, i will fill you in more if i get it or decide not to.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Curmudgeon

Cool! They are great birds!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sounds like i will bring him home on monday, i switched his cage for a better one at work today and he sat on my hand to move to the other cage. However, i did use bite gloves, not that he tried to bite me... baby steps concocring bird fears.

I need to see if messi will leave him alone, if he acts like the second we leave he will fire out how to get the cage down and open then i don't know if i will be able to keep him.

Now i am off for researching.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Playful Pup

I hope it works out! I have two Cockatiels myself.

I have three dogs also. 1.) Is afraid of them and avoids them. 2.) Is fine with them and just tries to eat their poo. 3.) Who is our newest dog we found as a stray, is excited by them and tries to go after them, so we just make sure to keep her locked in another area while they have outside time, along with our cat.

Dog #3, would also sit at the cage and hop up to see them, but with correction, that has now stopped.

I am quite sure you could find out a way to make it work with your dog if needed!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am bringing him home tonight, I think it is a boy but not one hundred percent sure. The boyfriend wants to name it barsha we will see. I gave him a treat bar today at work and am super excited.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
I am bringing him home tonight, I think it is a boy but not one hundred percent sure. The boyfriend wants to name it barsha we will see. I gave him a treat bar today at work and am super excited.
Do you know it's color? Some genders are known by color.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, congrats! ^^ I hope it all works out with Messi!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Playful Pup

Oh wow, nevermind on the color question I asked. Obviously I can't remember what I read, LOL.

I don't believe you can tell gender just by that color.

Males are said to be more talkative than females though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I feel that is a boy because he whistles constantly instead of screaching at any time, but i could be mistaken as this is the first bird i tried to sex, and it doesn't really matter either way because he is on his own for now. Perhaps i will get another some day but for now he is a lone bird. And i would probably only adopt from my shelter, because we don't get many it would be awhile before i would think of getting another.

I brought him home, my boyfriend is like a little boy wanting to play with him and he seams pretty mellow and at home in his cage here so maybe my boyfriend can mess with him tonight but i would rather he wait until tomorrow. He probably won't be able to sleep he just wants to look at him.

I tried to transfer him to his travel cage and he hopped on my finger, and hopped off when i put him in his travel cage. Can he be an easier bird? i don't think so.

Now for his name.. the boyfriend wants to name him... barsha. for barcelona soccer, i don't think it fits him. So hopefully we come up with something better. I brought home a baby name book from work so maybe something is in there. I liked Wazzah which means goose in arabic.

He didn't seem thrilled, so the name game continues.

Tomorrow we go to the petstore to find some new toys and things for his cage. I got him a treat bar at work today which he is going to town on. He takes treats nice from hand, and nibbled on a cracker and seeds from my hand.

Does he need a nest box?

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Betta Bomb

Aww, he seems like he'll fit right in!! Can't wait to see pics!