Poultry discussion! :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Poultry discussion! :D

So, as I mentioned since moving my neighbors have chickens. At first she just had a Plymouth (thanks google!) rock hen named Portle in the shed right by our fence and now she brought in 3 Rhode island light sussex hens from around the bay somewhere. They seem social and every time we go in the backyard the 3 red ones come out of their shed into the outdoor run and want to see us!! Id like to name them but they're indistinguishable to me :/ Portle, on the other hand, cannot live with them bc they'll kill her and she has since moved into the basement ^^ I see her every now and then running around the back yard.
One day, this melted me heart, I saw Portle fly-run up the entire length of the backyard to her mom, my neighbor, for cuddles. It was precious!!
So, I googled up the 2 breeds for pictures for you guys, AND needless to say... When I grow up and have my own place and whatnot I plan on getting chickens! I love em. There's another house down the road with an outdoor flock of about 12 or so Rhode Island hens varying in shades- I havent seen (or heard) any roosters yet.
***Pictures to come when I get them!
http://www.google.ca/images?q=barred...w=1280&bih=620 <<Portle
http://www.google.ca/images?q=rhode%...w=1280&bih=620 <<3 red hens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

I like chickens.If I had better property,I would want some.
I love Portal and only seen her once...haha.Remember in Torbay when we went swimming,we would stop at that farm with the goats and the chickens would be running around???

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I do! They were neat then. Those, too, were Rhodes I think. ^^ Oh, and the neighbors did give us some eggs from my 3 red hens(that will officially be their collective name) which were a little dirty from poo but otherwise fine! We made fresh pasta with them and it turned out great! I like the idea of free range not hormoned-up and screwed up factory eggs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If I ever get the space I really want some silkie/silkys

They are the cutest little buggers ever.

It's also possible to get some with feathers on their feet, bur I'm not sure what the name of the breed is.

I would want them for both the eggs and the meat though... Not just as pets.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
is a little "special"

OMG, I LLOOOOVVVEEE chickens!!! Ever since I saw my first Silky chicken, its been my dream to have them, LOL!
I want some silkies, and I would love to rescue some chickens too. Eggs would be awesome too, but its not a must.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Part of the Pack

Chickens are cute. My grandma says she would love to have them again(she grew up on a farm). I would love to have a few one day myself if I'm able to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Ive ALWAYS wanted chickens! I thought I was the only one!
& Ive always wanted to hatch some chickies from eggs, but the only problem is I dont want males!
Where I live we arent allowed to have chickens. Howsad!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

Since eggs are disgusting IMO,I would give them to family/friends...I would just love having chickens around.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I think egg production is just another reason to get them! I would never kill them though, I totally respect the idea though (better than factory farms).
The 3 red hens have very odd names, I cannot rememer them now but I was talking with my neighbor again today. She has more eggies for us!! Bless her! While we were chatting, Portle toddles off and got lost. Allison found her stuck in the doorway of the basement trying to get into the house!! lol Silly lil thing!
Silkies look neat but I like the Bantam ones moreseo. Portle might be getting our other neighbors Bantam for winter company since the 3 red hens want to kill her!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

Don't know when, but at some point in the future I plan to get chickens. I would like a small flock of plymouth rock hens, and maybe a couple silky bantams. Many years ago I had a silky bantam hen as a pet.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Hello Earthling

I have been dieing to get some chickens. They have been trying to pass a law-thing here for residence to be allowed to keep chickens in their backyard (with proper housing, sanitation, care i.e you can only eat the eggs and not the actually chickens)

I think it would be awesome to have some chickens, they seem so fun.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

its true. I thought Ontario was a farm nation?? Aside from the Major cities of course! My grandparents lived in Trenton, or Brighton (I had family living in both!) and they had a farm of animals. They used to send chicken feather to my sister when we were younger and Lisa collected feathers
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yeah...I remember that,boxes of feathers...wonder where they all went?

* Lisa *

Tags
chickens, eggs, farm, hens