Question about Baby Finches - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question about Baby Finches

I got 2 Society Finches a couple months ago, they are a bonded pair. Few weeks ago they laid 5 eggs. All 5 eggs have hatched and are starting to get their pin feathers. I was wondering when should they start opening their eyes and also when can they find new homes? I have NEVER been a bird Mommy before especially two birds that decided they were gonna up and become parents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Curmudgeon

The eyes open pretty quickly after the feathers appear.

I would wait until they are fully fledged and eating on their own before moving them.

Make sure you're giving them a good diet (especially the mom). Occasionally you can hard boil an egg and give them part of it (ground up shell and all). It'll help supplement the normal seed diet.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much! I do the hardboiled egg thing already, did before the babies, as a treat to mom and dad. I moved the whole family into a larger cage, it's homemade , but when the babies start exploring at least there will be enough room for everyone. The Mom ( Bella ) and the Dad ( Edward ) seem to be seriously happy in the new cage I sprinkled some of their seed on the floor ( they also have a bowl of food ) so they can have something on the floor to peck at since that is one of their favorite past time haha. I was worried about moving them all, like worried the parents would abandon the babies, but they immediately started feeding the babies and sitting with them and everything.

I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Babies have opened their eyes! They are much cuter with them open . Now I have to figure out how to tell boys from girls .