Right time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Right time

Not sure if any of you read my new post in the topic I posted about my birds. If you haven't we recently lost Cassie one of our Parakeets on September 28 for unknown reasons and she was only 3 years old. Sammy her mate and friend is 5 and has been with her ever since he was 2 years old. We buried her in our backyard. Sammy is very upset, won't chirp, and wants nothing to do with us but thankfully is still eating and drinking. We plan on getting him another friend but we are not sure exactly when the right time would be. I would like to hear your thoughts on when you guys think might be the right time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww im sorry for ur lost

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Curmudgeon

Whenever you want to is the right time.

Small birds don't grieve as we understand it. Change in the environment is what causes changes in their behavior. In the wild, a bird will sometimes find a new mate within hours of losing the old one.

Get a new bird when you are ready. Sammy will adapt (or not) whenever it happens.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thing is though Sammy is grieving apart from eating and drinking he just sits in his cage looking upset and depressed. He doesn't chirp anymore and he just looks very lost. Every time we try and walk into his room he starts shaking and gets freaked out so we can't even go near him. I'll talk to him from the doorway and each day try and get him used to me being in the room again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sammy is still pretty much the same, so were really not sure as to when the best time would be any other advice would be appreciating since you guys now know how hes acting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Newborn Pup

I dont think itwould hurt him if you got him another friend right away. It might help. I am a bird owner and I would get Sammy another friend when ur ready. I just would not wait tooo long.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Today I noticed that he only ate his millet spray(which they get occasionally as a treat) and hardly any of his food. I'm worried he might be sick so I told my mom we need to take him to the vet, but I also wonder if it could be because hes still grieving. I guess we'll find out when he goes to the vet. When we get him his new friend we plan on putting her in a separate cage at first as we don't know how he will react to the new one even though he was fine with Cassie.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I noticed that he ate a little bit this morning just wanted to mention that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I wanted to let you guys know that we decided to wait until spring time to bring a new bird home due to the weather getting colder and we don't want to risk bringing a bird home in cold weather. Sammy seems to be slowly getting back to his normal self.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

If it becomes apparent that your Parakeet needs some company, then I would get another Parakeet as soon as possible.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We would get one sooner for him but the weather is getting much colder now so we don't want to risk the new Parakeet getting a draft and getting sick and possibly passing away because of it.